Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FRIDAY SOCCER QUIZ - WEEK 3

• 20-03-2009 7:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Previous week: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055512057

Unless somebody else shows their hand in the meantime, I'll post up the 1st round of questions @ 3:30pm today.

IIRC there was talk of Carroler or eagle eye doing this weeks quiz, I have some questions on standby if required but it's up to you guys. I'm off nights so off to bed for a few hours in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

PM'd TRO if he wants to go ahead fine by me. I will do up some reserve q's in the meantime just in case. Which we can use next week if they are not used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll be taking care of today's quiz, C16 will be doing next weeks.

First set of questions up @ 3:30pm.

1. There will be 3 rounds of 15 questions.

2. You will have 10 minutes to answer each round.

3. PM your answers to me, any PMs received after the 10 minutes is up will be discounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

im afraid i will be unable to defend my title today, i have a doctor appointment at 3.45 :( best of luck with it though

First questions up in 30mins.

Is anyone going to be answering? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll be in.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is there going to be a picture round? If not I might display my ingorance and participate. If there is I won't do it as I probably won't be able to see the pictures from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

im in for the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Like Flynn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'll make a fool of myself

5starpool wrote: »
    Is there going to be a picture round? If not I might display my ingorance and participate. If there is I won't do it as I probably won't be able to see the pictures from work.

Just a couple, one per round I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Righto I'm in

in

1. Only two player of the ten all-time top scorers in the English Premier League currently play for Premier League sides. Who are they? (1 point for each player)

2. Seven sides hold the distinction of being founding members of the Premier League and have never been relegated from it: Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are among them, name the other three (1 point for each)

3. Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær scored Man Utd's goals in the 1999 Champions League Final. Who scored Bayern Munich's?

4. Which English Championship side plays their home games at Portman Road?

5. Which founding member of the League of Ireland is the only side never to have been relegated from the top division?

6. Which side won a league and cup double in the inaugral season of the League of Ireland (1921-22)?

7. Four current EPL managers have managed international sides in their career, name them. (½ point for each manager)

8. FlyBe sponsor the shirts of which Championship side?

9. Whose penalty did Packie Bonner save in the shootout vs Romania in the 1990 World Cup?

10. Who is the only player to score a hat-trick in a World Cup final?

11. Who is the only Englishman to win the European Golden Shoe?

12. Who is this? quiz01.jpg

PM sent

1. Two professional sides from Wales play in the English Football League, name them. (1pt each)

2. Which English team are known as The Monkeyhangers by their rivals?

3. Which side holds the record for the fewest wins in a Premier League season?

4. Diego Maradona left Napoli in 1992 after serving a 15 month ban for a failed rugs test. What Spanish club did he move to?

5. Who was the youngest player to appear in a World Cup finals match?

6. Harald Schumacher's infamous “tackle” on a French player in the 1982 World Cup semi-final denied the French a certain goal. Who did the German keeper knock unconscious?

7. Which club won the first Champions League after the Eurpean Cup was renamed?

8. What Premier League ground has the smallest capacity?

9. Who plays their home games here? quiz2.jpg

10. Three English Premier League stadia sit on the bank of a river. Fulham's Craven Cottage sits alongside the Thames, name the other two grounds (1pt each) note: canals DO NOT count

11. Name the first British clubs to win the European Cup, Fairs Cup/UEFA Cup and Cup-Winners Cup (1pt for each of the 3)

Answers for round 1 up shortly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

**** I got called away at work - assume I can't answer now?

First 2 rounds sent

1. Who won the last match played at Landsdowne Road before it's demolition began?

2. Who manages Dutch side AZ Alkmaar?

3. Which Irish League side plays at The Oval?

4. Brian Clough replaced Don Revie as Leeds United manager in 1974, what job did revie move on to?

5. Who is this? quiz4.jpg

6. Which country has had the most European Cup/Champions League finalists?

7. Chris Coleman manages Coventry City: who did he manage before them?

8. Which former manager said “They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job “?

9. Which irish striker scored four goals vs Turkey and 3 goals vs Russia in one qualifying campaign?

10. Name the four Irishmen (Republic only) to win PL medals (½pt each)

11. Name England's leading goalscorer in world cup tournaments.

12. Who holds the record for games played in the World Cup?

13. Who is this? quiz05.jpg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    First 2 rounds sent

although i did name a club instead of the ground for the river bank one.ugh

Guys, I'll be a few minutes totting up the scores, but here's the answers to the 1st round:

1. Only two player of the ten all-time top scorers in the English Premier League currently play for Premier League sides. Who are they? (1 point for each player) Dwight Yorke and Michael Owen

2. Seven sides hold the distinction of being founding members of the Premier League and have never been relegated from it: Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are among them, name the other three (1 point for each) Spurs, Everton and Aston Villa

3. Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær scored Man Utd's goals in the 1999 Champions League Final. Who scored Bayern Munich's? Mario Basler

4. Which English Championship side plays their home games at Portman Road? Ipswich

5. Which founding member of the League of Ireland is the only side never to have been relegated from the top division? Bohs

6. Which side won a league and cup double in the inaugral season of the League of Ireland (1921-22)? James' Gate

7. Four current EPL managers have managed international sides in their career, name them. (½ point for each manager) I ****ed this up, there's actually 5 but I'll allow any four from: Ferguson, Hughes, Hogdson, Hiidink, Kinnear (India and Nepal) and since I didn't specify senior teams I'm allowing Zola's stint as Italy u21 manager

8. FlyBe sponsor the shirts of which Championship side? Southampton

9. Whose penalty did Packie Bonner save in the shootout vs Romania in the 1990 World Cup? Daniel Timofte

10. Who is the only player to score a hat-trick in a World Cup final? Geoff Hurst

11. Who is the only Englishman to win the European Golden Shoe? Kevin Phillips

12. Who is this? quiz01.jpgKevin Nolan

• Advertisement

Crap - work interrupted me, how dare it. What time do answers have to be in by?

I'll have my wrong answers to you in a few mins if you can hold off on posting?

Round 1 scores:

caroller16 8
    xavi 11
    keano_afc 10
    bubs 8.5
    trippie 13

Anyone think I mis-counted?

7. Four current EPL managers have managed international sides in their career, name them. (½ point for each manager) I ****ed this up, there's actually 5 but I'll allow any four from: Ferguson, Hughes, Hogdson, Hiidink, Kinnear (India and Nepal) and since I didn't specify senior teams I'm allowing Zola's stint as Italy u21 manager

never mind im an idiot, and lol at the lucky guess of bohs, was going to go for St pats but i think i remember them being in financial difficulties, i literally know nothing about irish football

Round 1 scores:

caroller16 8
    xavi 11
    keano_afc 10
    bubs 8.5
    trippie 13

Anyone think I mis-counted?

Hmmmm I may have got 12, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: No 11 is right

cpouldnt get in the last round

Round 2 answers:

1. Two professional sides from Wales play in the English Football League, name them. (1pt each) Swansea and Cardiff

2. Which English team are known as The Monkeyhangers by their rivals? Hartlepool

3. Which side holds the record for the fewest wins in a Premier League season? Derby County, 1 win

4. Diego Maradona left Napoli in 1992 after serving a 15 month ban for a failed rugs test. What Spanish club did he move to? Sevilla

5. Who was the youngest player to appear in a World Cup finals match? Norman Whiteside

6. Harald Schumacher's infamous “tackle” on a French player in the 1982 World Cup semi-final denied the French a certain goal. Who did the German keeper knock unconscious? Patrick Battison

7. Which club won the first Champions League after the Eurpean Cup was renamed? Marseilles

8. What Premier League ground has the smallest capacity? Fratton Park

9. Who plays their home games here? quiz2.jpgWigan Athletic

10. Three English Premier League stadia sit on the bank of a river. Fulham's Craven Cottage sits alongside the Thames, name the other two grounds (1pt each) note: canals DO NOT count Riverside (Boro) and Ewood Park (Blackburn)

11. Name the first British clubs to win the European Cup, Fairs Cup/UEFA Cup and Cup-Winners Cup (1pt for each of the 3) Celtic, Spurs, Leeds

Round 2 scores:

Bubs 6

keano 10

xavi 9

c16 6

trippie 10

1. Who won the last match played at Landsdowne Road before it's demolition began? Derry City

2. Who manages Dutch side AZ Alkmaar? Van Gaal

3. Which Irish League side plays at The Oval? Glentoran

4. Brian Clough replaced Don Revie as Leeds United manager in 1974, what job did revie move on to? England

5. Who is this? quiz4.jpgYouri Djorkaef[/b]

6. Which country has had the most European Cup/Champions League finalists? Italy

7. Chris Coleman manages Coventry City: who did he manage before them? Real Sociedad

8. Which former manager said “They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job “? Brian Clough

9. Which irish striker scored four goals vs Turkey and 3 goals vs Russia in one qualifying campaign? Don Givens

10. Name the four Irishmen (Republic only) to win PL medals (½pt each) Keane, Irwin, O'Shea, Duff

11. Name England's leading goalscorer in world cup tournaments. Lineker

12. Who holds the record for games played in the World Cup? Lothar Matthäus

13. Who is this? quiz05.jpgGeorge Hagi

I'd a poor last round.

• Advertisement

Round 3 scores:

Bubs 7

trippie 11

keano 8

xavi 12

Totals:

caroller16 14
    xavi 32
    keano_afc 28
    bubs 21.5
    trippie 34

Provisional until I check back over everyone's scores.

My answers were too late, but just as well. I would only have got 22. Poor show from me.

Edit: would have beeen 25 if I saw the pics, but I couldn't from work. Still poor though tbh.

Totals:

caroller16 14
    xavi 32
    keano_afc 28
    bubs 21.5
    trippie 34

Provisional until I check back over everyone's scores.

All confirmed, well done trippie.

League table after week 3:

Xavi - 83
    Caroller 16 - 64
    Keano afc - 43
    Eagleeye - 40
    Zebra - 38
    Trippie - 34
    Gustavo - 32
    Kryogen - 27
    redout - 24
    Bubs101 - 21.5
    LuckyLloyd - 21
    BenedictXVI - 18
    MementoMori - 11
    Whatawaster - 10

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Xavi wins again,we will have to knock him of his ****ing perch.

Fair fcuks to anyone who's gone to the effort of doing up questions and taking Pms off people, cos there really is a lot of work involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Fair fcuks to anyone who's gone to the effort of doing up questions and taking Pms off people, cos there really is a lot of work involved.

Yea there is,thats why I suggested a different quiz master each week.We should do up a list of people who want to volunteer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Not intending to nitpick (especially as I wasn't involved), but does Jeff Kenna have a medal from Blackburn, or did he not feature enough that season? Just wondering is all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm just looking at this now, was the question about the team with most European Cup finalists about the amount of times a country has been represented or how many different teams from one country have reached the final? Sorry about being a pain in the balls, i'm just curious.

wowy wrote: »
    Not intending to nitpick (especially as I wasn't involved), but does Jeff Kenna have a medal from Blackburn, or did he not feature enough that season? Just wondering is all....

He wasn't on the list I sourced, he joined Blackburn in March of the title year and was only available for nine games. Don't think that's enough to qualify.
    carlop wrote: »
    I'm just looking at this now, was the question about the team with most European Cup finalists about the amount of times a country has been represented or how many different teams from one country have reached the final? Sorry about being a pain in the balls, i'm just curious.

How many times a finalist was from a specific country.

3 cheers to our mod who stepped up to the plate and put together a fine quiz. Well done TRO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement