Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 on RTE

• 20-03-2009 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

For those of us who don't have sky....

Seemingly 24 season 7 is starting on 31st March at 1210am.

What's stranger is that the listing I find for the following week is season 1 episode 9. I so hope that is incorrect! :pac:

Don't suppose anyone knows if Redemption is (or has) going to be shown on RTE?

Hope this info is of some help
    (and hopefully it's correct!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

sor_fes2 wrote: »
    For those of us who don't have sky....

Seemingly 24 season 7 is starting on 31st March at 1210am.

What's stranger is that the listing I find for the following week is season 1 episode 9. I so hope that is incorrect! :pac:

Don't suppose anyone knows if Redemption is (or has) going to be shown on RTE?

Hope this info is of some help
    (and hopefully it's correct!)

Well done RTE. They bought the rights to it ages ago, they are buying up the rights to loads of US shows just to prevent TV3 from getting them.
    They haven't enough prime time slots to show them so they just stick them in at some ridiculous hour instead.
    Disgraceful abuse of license payers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lukin wrote: »
    They bought the rights to it ages ago, they are buying up the rights to loads of US shows just to prevent TV3 from getting them.

Is there proof of this or is it only what you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Is there proof of this or is it only what you think?

Well I remember before they bought the rights to a season of 24 (can't remember which one) and didn't show it until about four months after, when Sky were already halfway through the season.
    I read in The Sunday Times that they have been doing this with other shows and as far as I know RTE haven't sued them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I remember reading somewhere that they weren't allowed show it due to the rights that Sky held. How accurate that is however is debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even so, if Sky find its a good idea to have it on at 9 or ten then why do RTE think it is a good idea to have it at 12:10?

Pointless if they paid the money I reckon they paid for it.

Totally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

noodler wrote: »
    Even so, if Sky find its a good idea to have it on at 9 or ten then why do RTE think it is a good idea to have it at 12:10?

Pointless if they paid the money I reckon they paid for it.

Totally agree.

RTÉ buy packages of programming as do TV3.

TG4, TV3 and RTÉ all have deals with individual producers for programming. RTÉ felt that after the 4 season of 24 it wasn't getting the same kind of viewers as previous series due to Sky getting 3 months before them.

In saying all of this RTÉ should be showing the show in prime time, they buy repeat rights with all shows an could repeat 24 at anytime during prime time.

They should start showing double episodes, not only is it on too late and it won't be on at 12:10am each week you can be gauranteed it to be on at around 12:10am each week.

Anyway I will wait for the DVD release, another reason RTÉ gave up on 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ buy packages of programming as do TV3.

TG4, TV3 and RTÉ all have deals with individual producers for programming. RTÉ felt that after the 4 season of 24 it wasn't getting the same kind of viewers as previous series due to Sky getting 3 months before them.

In saying all of this RTÉ should be showing the show in prime time, they buy repeat rights with all shows an could repeat 24 at anytime during prime time.

They should start showing double episodes, not only is it on too late and it won't be on at 12:10am each week you can be gauranteed it to be on at around 12:10am each week.

Anyway I will wait for the DVD release, another reason RTÉ gave up on 24.[/QUOTE

RTE never gave up on Lost however - despite DVD releases. Just don't understand why 24 gets shafted to a late night slot. Very poor.
    I've got all of this season thusfar from Sky One on my Sky + box anyways so it doesn't affect me - but for people who depend on RTE 2 to see it - it's just not fair.

RTE never gave up on Lost however - despite DVD releases. Just don't understand why 24 gets shafted to a late night slot. Very poor.
    I've got all of this season thusfar from Sky One on my Sky + box anyways so it doesn't affect me - but for people who depend on RTE 2 to see it - it's just not fair.

Lost had a bigger audience. 24 only every had about 200,000 viewers at it highest while lost in the same slot of 9:30 on Tuesday Nights had 350,000 viewers at its highest, however it has dipped far below that in with more recent series. This is true if you look back through the years of ratings for 24 and LOST.

Lost is possibly provide by a different distributor i.e. Buena Vista. I think 24 is distributed by FOX and Sky has a better link with FOX then with other distributors, Sky has possibly got first rights for both British and Irish audiences for 24 unlike LOST. However I am only hypothesising this.

I cann't watch 24 on Sky too many ads, and I don't have sky plus. I stopped watching during Day 4, caught up with Day 5 (Brilliant, watched it on RTÉ) and was dissappointed by Day 6 (Downloaded). This time I will rent it out later on this year, I may keep Monday night free not sure ATM. I wish they could at least show double episodes :(

Last weeks episode was Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ShaneM

RTE really need to do better than broadcasting this top class show at an ungodly hour. OK, so they bought it within a package of other programs, but why leave it 'till after midnight to screen the program.

Shame on you RTE. Another waste of our taxes & licence fee.

ShaneM wrote: »
    Shame on you RTE. Another waste of our taxes & licence fee.

RTÉ will responed to you as follows: -

No taxes where spent on this show (RTÉ don't receive any taxes), and RTÉ don't allocate any Licence fee money to their Imports.

But you are right no reason for this to be broadcast earlier. Or at least to show double episodes. I might start emailing them again about this.

• Advertisement

Hi Elmo,
    It is a shame that RTE only show this great programme so late.

RTE can get all nit picking about it, but in my eyes, the licence fee is like a TV tax dressed up in different words.

RTE can get all nit picking about it, but in my eyes, the licence fee is like a TV tax dressed up in different words.

I complete agree Levies, Licences whatever you want to call them. But I have done my research and RTÉ do not spend any public funds on Imports. They don't need to. RTÉ make money out imports, they only spend 25,000,000 on them and possible see a 15,000,000 profit on them, which is then pushed into programme making. You can see how important they are to them.

When 24: DAY3 when from Tuesday nights to Saturday night and then to midnight on Monday night I was on to them. I even asked them how many times can the repeat Friends and Fr. Ted at 9 on a Monday Night?

Thanks for the update on how badly RTE treat us fans of 24.
    Pity the BBC gave it up & let Sky get the rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Since I cant find any thread on it... what did fellow RTE watchers think of Episode 3?

Thought it was very good, a bit implausible with Jack and Tony escaping the FBI base, but that bit at the end with Jack ramming the car into throught the wall - class! :D

Really looking forward to this season, from what I've read on this forum already, this season is really up there with 1 and 5 :)

I'm wonderling if RTE will show episodes of 24 on their new iplayer.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/

I'm wonderling if RTE will show episodes of 24 on their new iplayer.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/

I was just thinking that on the RTE Player forum.

Anyway the episode is bring 24 back, I liked the way the re-introduced the CTU team. But again they didn't get back to the fathers story other then his son's fiance wants to meet with him back he didn't commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Just_Magic

I don't understand why they stick it on so late?
    They have the rights as well.
    With the amount of trash that does be on instead you'd have to wonder :confused:

Will buy the boxset and will enjoy it then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just_Magic wrote: »
    I don't understand why they stick it on so late?
    They have the rights as well.
    With the amount of trash that does be on instead you'd have to wonder :confused:

Will buy the boxset and will enjoy it then :P

By far the best way to enjoy 24. Especially this season. Waiting a week for an episode is annoying.

That_Guy wrote: »
    By far the best way to enjoy 24. Especially this season. Waiting a week for an episode is annoying.

I actually enjoy watching this so late, but since I am staying up late on a Monday Night it would be great if they could show 2 hours of the show.

Elmo wrote: »
    I actually enjoy watching this so late, but since I am staying up late on a Monday Night it would be great if they could show 2 hours of the show.

1:05am is to ****ing late :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement