Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lose 2 stone by September '09

Options
  • 20-03-2009 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    I started a new job recently which demands crazy hours and as a result my health has suffered. I've put on about 2 stone in the last 8 months or so due to a combination of irregular eating habbits, eating crap food, not exercising and my alcohol intake has increased about ten fold due to stress. Considering my family have a history of heart disease I really need to get my act together before it's too late as I am sitting at 2.5 stone overweight.

For starters, the booze is out the window.

Secondly, no more take-aways or crap food. I'm going to stick to the guidelines in the boards challenge thread because they are bloody brilliant, bar the exercise. Instead of doing 30 minutes of exercise 5 days per week, I'll do three hour long sessions per week which will be a combination of cardio and some weights. (Mon-Wed-Fri).

Later today I will do a healthy food run to Dunnes and this evening I will be hitting the gym.

Wish me luck! I'm really excited. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

[-0-] wrote: »
    Instead of doing 30 minutes of exercise 5 days per week, I'll do three hour long sessions per week which will be a combination of cardio and some weights. (Mon-Wed-Fri).

Later today I will do a healthy food run to Dunnes and this evening I will be hitting the gym.

Wish me luck! I'm really excited. :)

Good luck!

Do you have a gym program prepared?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Very best of luck. I can't remember with what, but you helped me out before (I think in the unix forum?) so if I can help at all let me know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Thanks guys. I don't actually have a gym program prepared at all.. I definitely need some help planning one. Can anyone care to help me?

Today went as follows:
    Morning's activities
    15 incline push ups
    30 sit ups
    2km jog - I took this very slow as it was 7am and I was half asleep.

Breakfast
    Bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes + glass of orange juice

Lunch
    Tuna sandwich with brown bread

Dinner
    Baby potatoes, one piece of salmon, onion, mushrooms, broccolli, green peppers -- all steamed.

Snack
    Mixed nuts and two plums.

Tonight's activities
    15 incline push ups and 10 sit ups

I'm really really busy with work this week so I won't have a chance to get to the gym unfortunately. I do plan on doing the above exercises every day when I can't make it to the gym.

I have to admit I feel bloody fantastic. I have the flu, but I'm taking one tablet of guarana each morning which is making me feel a lot better.

Today went as follows:
    Morning's activities
    15 incline push ups
    30 sit ups
    5km run

Breakfast

Lunch
    Hot chicken roll from Spar.

Dinner
    Brown rice, fillet of chicken, onion, garlic, mushroom, baby sweetcorn, mixed peppers, home made curry sauce

Snack
    Mixed nuts and two apples.

Tonight's activities
    15 incline push ups and 20 sit ups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ilovelamp81

Best of luck! I think Im going to have to join you on this buzz, Ive put on a stone since this time last year...not good! So want to get it off by Aug at the latest. Finding the motivation is seriously lacking!! Bit of focus is badly needed...these kind of threads may prove very helpful!!

• Advertisement

Thanks ilovelamp81! You should start a thread and get cracking... This is the best thing I've done in years. I'm still feeling motivated although it really is the first week that I've been sticking with this.

So when I started this I was 11 stone and I want to get down to 9 stone. Just weighed myself this morning before going to work and I'm now 10 stone 8 lbs. Lost 6 lbs since Monday - delighted.

I expect that it's just because it's the first week that I notice such a difference. Also note that most of my weight is booze related - I was a very very heavy drinker and didn't eat much. Now that I no longer drink, I think this goal is really achievable.

Best of luck. :)

Morning's activities
    15 incline push ups
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Tuna wrap with mixed peppers from Spar
    Dinner
    Haven't had this yet but I'm having bacon, cabage and mashed potatoes
    Snack
    No snack tonight.
    Tonight's activities
    This will be a 5km run followed by an hour in the sauna

So I'm one week in.. weighed myself this morning and I'm 10 stone 4lbs. I lost a total of 10lbs in a week which is way more than expected. I wonder if I'm over doing it.. but I don't think so as most of my weight is 'water weight'.

Morning's activities
    15 incline push ups
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Tuna wrap with cheese from Spar
    Dinner
    Steak and Potatoes, mixed veg.
    Snack
    Two peaches and some mixed nuts.
    Tonight's activities
    One hour in the sauna

In a bit of a rush, so I may add to this later. Just a few small pointers:

You'd be better off with something other than the crunchy nuts and OJ for breakfast. My number 1 rule when losing weight is not to get any calories from liquids. Also, crunchy nut = pure garbage.

How do you feel about porridge? If it's a no-go, I'd suggest some scrambler and wholegrain toast. It'll keep you going for longer.

Also, try to have a piece of fruit or something in between breakfast and lunch. Keeps the metabolism ticking over and stops you feeling deprived.

Also, what's the idea behind the hour in the sauna? (holy crap@hour in sauna btw!)

There I was thinking Crunchy Nut cereal was good for me hahah. Shows what I know! I can't stand porridge at all unfortunately. I could easily switch to All Bran as I love that stuff. Do you think that would be ok? I can also substitute the OJ for Earl Grey tea. :) I was drinking OJ every day as I had the flu but that's gone now so I guess it's time to change that.

I'll also include fruit in between breakfast and lunch. Thanks dude!

I have a sauna in my house so I like to make use of it as much as I can. It's really good for the skin and helps me relax after a tough day at the office. An hour might be over doing it, but I really think it's attributing to the weight loss I'm seeing.
    Thanks for the advice Khainne. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

sorry to hijack the thread but i have qa quick question. I too am trying to shift a bit of weight by oct. im male, 6'4 and just shy of sixteen stone. I really wanna get out in the evening and go for a jog or walk but cant get motivated. I just lack the energy in the eve when i get home from work. What can i eat that will give me that extra energy boost in the eve that will get me of the couch for a jog/walk?? Also how bad is sugar for you? i have some on my wheetabox in the morn. trying to cut it out in the eve. any advice.

Again sorry for the hi jack

Frag

Welcome frag420. :)

I went to a health food store and asked a similar question. I went in wanting something like a multi vitamin and they advised strongly against those. They recommended Guarana tablets so I bought two bottles of those. I have to say they are excellent. I just take one Guarana tablet each morning and I can really notice the difference. Even when jogging, I'm able to push myself that extra kilometre and I'm pretty sure it's because of taking Guarana. The guy in the store was training for a marathon and he swore by it.

Hope this helps!

There I was thinking Crunchy Nut cereal was good for me hahah. Shows what I know! I can't stand porridge at all unfortunately. I could easily switch to All Bran as I love that stuff. Do you think that would be ok?

Definitely a lot better than crunchy nut. :)
    I can also substitute the OJ for Earl Grey tea. :) I was drinking OJ every day as I had the flu but that's gone now so I guess it's time to change that.

That substitution will allow you to have fruit between breakfast and lunch without adding any calories to your diet. :)
    but I really think it's attributing to the weight loss I'm seeing.
    Thanks for the advice Khainne. :)

Fair enough. Water weight loss isn't what you're after though, right? 10lb's in a week is a huge amount and definitely isn't all fat. If you're sitting in the sauna a lot in the evenings just make sure you're staying properly hydrated throughout the day (and especially directly afterwards).

Do you mind me asking what height you are and if you're male / female? I'm 5 foot 7 ish and at 63KG ish (just under 10 stone) I'm what most people would call skinny.

edit:
    I went in wanting something like a multi vitamin and they advised strongly against those.

Did they say why? I take a multivit. I think they're useful, especially when you're trying to lose weight.

Khannie wrote: »

Fair enough. Water weight loss isn't what you're after though, right? 10lb's in a week is a huge amount and definitely isn't all fat. If you're sitting in the sauna a lot in the evenings just make sure you're staying properly hydrated throughout the day (and especially directly afterwards).

Most of my weight is water weight so in a way I kind of am.. but not just water weight.
    Khannie wrote:
    Do you mind me asking what height you are and if you're male / female? I'm 5 foot 7 ish and at 63KG ish (just under 10 stone) I'm what most people would call skinny.

Not at all. :) I'm 5ft 2, male, 25 years old.
    Khannie wrote:
    Did they say why? I take a multivit. I think they're useful, especially when you're trying to lose weight.

He said it's because people take too much of them, and/or take too much of the wrong types of multi vitamins. He told me to avoid vitamin supplements altogether unless I had a deficiency. I thought he was filling me with crap, but the Guarana tablets were cheaper than the multi vitamins so it didn't add up. He seemed very genuine. If you like I can talk to him again this weekend and find out more info.

I'm really clueless when it comes to this stuff hehe.

I haven't updated this in a while, but I'm still doing pretty good. I was down to 10 stone 4, but went on a bit of a session over the bank holiday weekend and put some weight back on. At the start of this week I was 10 stone 8, but I'm back down to 10 stone 5 now.

Morning's activities
    15 incline push ups
    Breakfast
    Bowl of All Bran + cup of earl grey tea.
    Snack
    Two peaches
    Lunch
    Brown bread Tuna sandwhich
    Dinner
    Haven't had this yet but I'm steamed salmon, some veg and potatoes
    Snack
    No snack tonight.
    Tonight's activities
    This will be a 5km run.

Ok, this hasn't been updated in a while. I've reached my goal and I am feeling and looking great. I now have a new goal which is to build muscle, and get bigger / buff. I'll start a new thread. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Advertisement