Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL Motor Oil

• 20-03-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

I saw Motor oil in LIDL yesterday and was very cheap 10W 40 (Semi Synthetic) €14.99 for 5L and 5W 40 (Full Synthetic) €4.99 for 1L.
    I'm just wondering if this oil is any good and who manufatures it for LIDL?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Moanin wrote: »
    I saw Motor oil in LIDL yesterday and was very cheap 10W 40 (Semi Synthetic) €14.99 for 5L and 5W 40 (Full Synthetic) €4.99 for 1L.

Thanks

Ive used the 10W 40 and no probs. It is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bi

bought a "stainless steel" garden fork in lidl and it snapped first go, I certainly would not buy engine oil ...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

At the end of the day oil is not usually VERY expensive but it is the most important element in keeping your engine running well. No point skimping out on it IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Thanks

The main thing is to check if it reaches or exceeds the internationally recognised standards. If it meets these it should be ok to use in your engine, though might be lacking some of the 'extras' the big companies put into theirs like ZDDP and other additives for anti-wear or intense pressure etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The synthetic is approved by BMW, M-B, Opel, VW, & Porsche. I'm using it at present - was €3.99 last time, but still a great bargain at current price.

See this post.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I picked some up. Complies with

• API SL/CF
    • ACEA A3/B3
    • A3/B4
    • Approved according to / complies with: MB 229.1
    • VW 505 00
    • BMW Special VW 501 01
    Should do my avensis all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

bi wrote: »
    bought a "stainless steel" garden fork in lidl and it snapped first go, I certainly would not buy engine oil ...

What does a s/s fork got to do with engine oil?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

T-Maxx wrote: »
    What does a s/s fork got to do with engine oil?:confused:
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks for this OP, think I'll head down and buy a litre or so for topping up. Good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Maybe I'm a freak, but I prefer sticking to recognised oil brands. I'd happily pay the extra tenner for Castrol for peace of mind. Then again, I'm also the type of freak who does an oil change unnecessarily often on my bike and car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

ned78 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a freak, but I prefer sticking to recognised oil brands. I'd happily pay the extra tenner for Castrol for peace of mind.
    The synthetic is approved by BMW, M-B, Opel, VW, & Porsche.

Does that not give you peace of mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I personally would not feel comfortable using cheaper brands of motor oil....
    5 litres for 14.99 sounds very cheap, too cheap really, I would not consider it.. I do alot of mileage and would not feel happy about it regardless the specification.
    I never heard of Lidl motor until coming on here today. Whatever spec it confirms to I am happy to spend the extra on my usual Castrol.
    Good luck to anyone who wishes to use it. Keep your ears open for rattling or knocking noises from under the bonnet just incase your 2nd most expensive investment does not agree with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Ahh, brand snobs...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

Thanks
    you shouldnt buy cheap oil for your car,did it once and the car was in bits,and i had to change it again after few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Ahh, brand snobs...:rolleyes:

Exactly. If it has a porsher recomendation its good enough for a my aul golf.....

mondeo wrote: »
    ahmed89 wrote: »
    you shouldnt buy cheap oil for your car...
    There is a difference between 'cheap' and 'inexpensive'. Lidl have economies of scale, and getting the various certifications for their oil is not cheap.

Some good links I posted before on engine oil: Car Mechanics and Car Bibles.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Keep your ears open for rattling or knocking noises from under the bonnet just incase your 2nd most expensive investment does not agree with it..
    Investment??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

5 litres for 14.99 sounds very cheap, too cheap really, I would not consider it.. I do alot of mileage and would not feel happy about it regardless the specification.
    I never heard of Lidl motor until coming on here today. Whatever spec it confirms to I am happy to spend the extra on my usual Castrol.
    Good luck to anyone who wishes to use it. Keep your ears open for rattling or knocking noises from under the bonnet just incase your 2nd most expensive investment does not agree with it..

I do alot of mileage as well, and have been using this oil for the last 2 years with no problems even when driving over to europe and back three times in 2 years. Now if I had a BMW, it might be a different story.......then I could afford the 'brand' oil.:D
    Just out of interest, I had a diesel mondeo some years back into which a new engine had to be put, as for some reason it had problems - this engine used branded oil..............eeeeeehhhhhhhh - so whats all the fuss about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

mumof2 wrote: »
    I do alot of mileage as well, and have been using this oil for the last 2 years with no problems even when driving over to europe and back three times in 2 years. Now if I had a BMW, it might be a different story.......then I could afford the 'brand' oil.:D
    Just out of interest, I had a diesel mondeo some years back into which a new engine had to be put, as for some reason it had problems - this engine used branded oil..............eeeeeehhhhhhhh - so whats all the fuss about?

I had a mondeo 6 years ago....always used my usual Castrol stuff and had no issues with it. I have an Old E39 520i with 146k on it at the moment and since it has had Castrol in it from day one I would not skimp on the oil side of things for a unheard of brand. I stick to what works well for me, if oil from Irelands cheapest Supermarket works well for you then thats smashing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....for a start, it's only unheard of here.......not Germany.

Not only that, but last time I checked, all the oil came from under a handful of Gulf/Arab states, under the sand, so to think your branded oil is special, over any other, is only deluded.

I didn't realise they were doing it, tbh, but will get down there now.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

somewhat similar thread going on in AH...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055518583

I would not skimp on the oil side of things for a unheard of brand.
    Sorry, but I find that illogical. The odds are that if you investigate deeply enough, you will find that the Lidl synthetic oil is identical to one or more of your precious 'branded' ones, just appreciably less expensive. I would say the same applies to the Lidl part-synthetic and regular mineral oil as well. Still, if you're happy being milked just to get the warm fuzzy feeling of having a 'branded' oil, go right ahead!

The most important thing to be careful of when buying oil is that it meets or exceeds the vehicle manufacturer's specifications, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mumof2 wrote: »
    Ive used the 10W 40 and no probs. It is good value.

well engines cant talk, imagine if the pistons could

they might be uttering

uggh, what the f*** is this $hit......

how would you know good oil from bad...?

how would you know good oil from bad...?
    Assuming your question is in jest - I swallow some, wait for nature to take its course, then assess the results while wearing a blood pressure monitor :mad::o:mad: (got that in Lidl too, so my figures might be a bit off). :D

If it was a serious question, see the links in post 17 above.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Castrol gives my car a warm fuzzy feeling.

I guess garages where most people get their cars serviced use the cheapest oil they can get, and I don't see mass engine failures. So maybe we are all being brand conned.

Still unless Castrol make it keep it away from my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zhljap

I tryed that lidl 5W-40 during 2000km and got rid of it to prevent engine catastrophy.The red oil light was glowing for a two long seconds after starting the engine when cold.changed the filter to test the filter was wrong,but no.The effect remained.I visually inspected the oil and it was slooowly pouring down the metal stick,It was dark as branded used oil was after 7000km.It was dense and sticky as mud.I noticed many black particles and dozens metalic sparkles in the oil.Got scared.:eek:Never had any such oil problems with brands.Now I am back to mobil 1 5W-40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Please don't resurrect old threads, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement