Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD HD XBOX poor quality issue

Options
  • 20-03-2009 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone.

I bought an LCD television in Harvey Norman just over a week ago, I bought it mainly to play my xbox 360 on it. When I got it home and started playing xbox on it, I noticed there was alot choppiness and dropped frames, so much so that to me it actually looks better on my old tube set.

After googling this I came to realise that this is a usual issue with lcd television sets, motion blurring and input lag. I even joined a forum about HDTV's and got as much advice as I could to try to alleviate the problem. I have tried everything, I even bought a vga cable for my xbox which cost me 30 euro because someone on the forum said it might help the issue.

It really is annoying me because its making me reluctant to use the television at all. My brother says he cant notice it, but as a hardcore gamer it really is bothering me.

I realise I should have researched LCD televisions further before making this purchase, but my question is: do you think I have any chance at all of exchanging this set for another one? I'm pretty sure legally they have the right to refuse this, but I was wondering has anyone had any experience returning goods to Harvey Norman?

It bothers me that much that if I cant get a refund or exchange I think i'll have to sell it at a loss.

Sorry for the lengthy read and thanks in advance to any helpful responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You might get a response with a sensible title. Since at least 99% of threads are questions.

Change it to 'LCD HD XBOX poor quality issue'.

You also should put this in the tech forums, not a legal\consumer issue really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

ch750536 wrote: »
    You might get a response with a sensible title. Since at least 99% of threads are questions.

Change it to 'LCD HD XBOX poor quality issue'.

You also should put this in the tech forums, not a legal\consumer issue really.

Agree about the title but I think this is a consumer issue - the op has already specified he joined a forum to resolve the technical difficulties - now he wants to know what his rights are.

Op - I'd say box it up and try harvey normans - all they can do is say no :D . Maybe you could exchange it for a different TV? They might be more willing to do that rather than lose your money!

Legally - refund, repair, replacement only applies if a product is faulty - but there is a clause about redress if a product is not fit for purpose (though realistically, it's unlikely to apply in your case unless perhaps you specified it was for gaming you wanted the TV). To my shame, I can't really remember all the technicalities involved but no doubt someone else here will guide you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VQ_Shred

Abstar wrote: »
    Agree about the title but I think this is a consumer issue - the op has already specified he joined a forum to resolve the technical difficulties - now he wants to know what his rights are.

Op - I'd say box it up and try harvey normans - all they can do is say no :D . Maybe you could exchange it for a different TV? They might be more willing to do that rather than lose your money!

Legally - refund, repair, replacement only applies if a product is faulty - but there is a clause about redress if a product is not fit for purpose (though realistically, it's unlikely to apply in your case unless perhaps you specified it was for gaming you wanted the TV). To my shame, I can't really remember all the technicalities involved but no doubt someone else here will guide you better.

I appriciate your advice!

Unfortunatly I did not specify that it was for gaming that I wanted the tv, but I suppose you are right in that i've nothing to lose in attempting to return it. I would be perfectly happy with an exchange for a different television if it didnt have these issues.

Thanks again!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

I appreciate the posters issue with the TV, and is the declared interest - we are TV retailers as well -however to be fair to HN - there is probably nothing wrong with the TV other than a slow refresh rate which is part of the TV spec and the TV in itself is not faulty.

The issue from the retailer point of view is that TV cannot be sold as new again and can only be sold at a significant discount (to be fair to the next owner!) I would of course try to get a refund if thats what the poster wants - but what would be a fair compromise (and what we do as part of our standard terms) is offer the value of the original TV against a more suitable one (ie a Plasma or a TV with a faster refresh rate) or give a refund with a small handling charge.

I feel that if you approach HN with both of these options as fallbacks they ought to be reasonable - after all it's tough out there and none of want to annoy our valuable Customer base..

Keep us posted

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OP what make and model number is the TV? Many LCD televisions are perfectly suitable to playing games, so I'm curious as to its specs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

how are you connecting the xbox to the tv eg hdmi, comopnent, composet, scart, vga?

could be worth a shot over in the xbox forum here too before resorting to drastic measures, not one ive heard complains about or seen myself though to be honest.

Advertisement