Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Is there any Adverts.ie or equivalent website that is decent for London, I've been looking at gumtree, craigslist and loot and they all seem pretty weak with very few listings.

Gumtree is by far the number one classified site for London.

Hotels
    I'm postign this from Stansted airport, was stuck in London with the Volcano ash yoke and stayed at the best hotel I've ever been in London and I've stayed in loads including holiday inn kensington.

Club Quarters Trafalgar Square, http://www.clubquarters.com/loc_londonTrafalgar.aspx

It is just off Trafalgar square, you literally come out the steps and Nelsons pillar and Whitehall is to your left. Perfect for tourists sightseeing, shopping and visiting shows. Decor is class and rooms look good.

Then there's the small details that really matter. Free fast wifi and wired if you've a laptop. Good digital TV with basic English channels plus E4, skysports1, 2 and 3. There's a mezzanine on the 2nd floor with 2 good spec, quick Internet computers for browsing and some couches to chill. .Only guests can get up on the lift so it's very secure.

There's a free chilled water machine with bottles than you can fill up that's very good. There's a cupboard to grab extra shampoo, coffee if you need it. Fitness center downstairs with 10 threadmills and some weights, no staff there, you just work away yourself. There's laundry and a microwave as well that you just work away yourself. Air conditioning is very accurate in the rooms. You can sleep in with late checkout till 3pm for an extra £25. The whole hotel is just setup for business people but good for everyone. Great location and just work away yourself, everything is there. I'll be staying there anymore when I'm in London.

I'm not sure of normal prices but I got it on hotwire for about $140 a night, I think it's a bit more expensive normally but worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 blueoval

going to london next weekend for 2 nights myself and my buddy are staying at the wellington in waterloo does anyone know what the place is like it a pub/hotel is it safe to walk around the waterloo area of london we will be drinking around leicester sq area so its not too far away can any body recommend pub/clubs for 2 guys in the early 20s where there is good music good beers and loads of ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Redbollock

blueoval wrote: »
    going to london next weekend for 2 nights myself and my buddy are staying at the wellington in waterloo does anyone know what the place is like it a pub/hotel is it safe to walk around the waterloo area of london we will be drinking around leicester sq area so its not too far away can any body recommend pub/clubs for 2 guys in the early 20s where there is good music good beers and loads of ladies

Koko in camden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, looking for hotels around London, close enough to the west end. What areas should I be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Folks, looking for hotels around London, close enough to the west end. What areas should I be looking at?

South Kensington area imo, direct tube link to West End in 10 mins.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59595655&highlight=forum#post59595655

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Going to London for a gig on Thursday night.

Have got stung in the past with the strict closing times over there.

Could someone recommend a nice late bar in Central London?

Cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Going to London for a gig on Thursday night.

Have got stung in the past with the strict closing times over there.

Could someone recommend a nice late bar in Central London?

Cheers!!

Plenty of bars & clubs around Hoxton & Shoreditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Hi All,

Heading to London for the first time with fiance Tuesday week (22nd), we get into stansted at 1pm and fly out on thursday at 1.35pm. We havent booked any hotel yet, was going 2 just do it when we get there. We want to do a couple of things, London Eye, Bit of shopping(nothing mad) , maybe covent garden and debating wether to go see Bon Jovi in O2 or a show in westend, havent made up mind yet. Price is a major factor and friends stayed in Premier Inn in the Docklands area and its just £29 per night. would this be a good suggestion as a place to stay??

Also if you can suggest something else that be great and what time we would need 2 be at airport before returning flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

theboss80 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Heading to London for the first time with fiance Tuesday week (22nd), we get into stansted at 1pm and fly out on thursday at 1.35pm. We havent booked any hotel yet, was going 2 just do it when we get there. We want to do a couple of things, London Eye, Bit of shopping(nothing mad) , maybe covent garden and debating wether to go see Bon Jovi in O2 or a show in westend, havent made up mind yet. Price is a major factor and friends stayed in Premier Inn in the Docklands area and its just £29 per night. would this be a good suggestion as a place to stay??

Also if you can suggest something else that be great and what time we would need 2 be at airport before returning flight.

I'm sorry but I'd say you have zero hope of getting a premier inn deal for £29 or even Travelodge which can also be cheap, in the London area at this short of notice! Usually you have to book way in advance to get those. Check out hostels maybe because I don't know any hotels that would have such cheap deals at such short notice.

Hi All,

What is the max in pound sterling you want to spend per night on a room and are you sharing a room, so what is the max between that you will spend per night.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What is the max in pound sterling you want to spend per night on a room and are you sharing a room, so what is the max between that you will spend per night.

Ya its myself and the girlfriend so we just want a double room. I suppose max £70 per night for room rate maybe? obviously cheaper if possible

Ya its myself and the girlfriend so we just want a double room. I suppose max £70 per night for room rate maybe? obviously cheaper if possible

Tough one, can't personally recommend a place at that price, it is going to be hard, as not only is it peak tourist season, but you also have Wimbledon on, so you may have to look outside of Central London if that is your budget, but then you have the expense of getting into London.

Tough one, can't personally recommend a place at that price, it is going to be hard, as not only is it peak tourist season, but you also have Wimbledon on, so you may have to look outside of Central London if that is your budget, but then you have the expense of getting into London.

Would we need 2 increase our budget by much more? what would you recommend?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

A quick check shows Holiday Inn Express Golders Green North with twins for £77 (not €77), plus taxes. It's about a mile to Finchley Central tube.

You should also check out lastminute.com and some of the other resellers, but you're going to find it very hard to find somewhere cheap in the one of the biggest tourist cities in the world in the middle of tourist season at short notice.

It may well be possible to stay somewhere far out of London on a train line, but you will end up paying a significant portion of any saving on train fare, so don't bank on it.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

The only decent central hotel I know of that availability for those dates comes in at £90 per night for a double room inc continental breakfast.

That's the Rhodes Hotel on Sussex Gardens. It's a nice enough location - 5 mins from Lancanster Gate tube (Central Line) or less than 10 mins from Paddington Station. Also 25 mins walk from Oxford Street or a v short tube journey. Close to Hyde Park.

Top ratings on Trip Advisor.

Would we need 2 increase our budget by much more? what would you recommend?

thanks

Think you will need to look at between £100- £150 per night for that period.

You may get cheaper further out but you don't save as you will have to pay for transport costs, as someone said look at sites like lastminute.com.

Thing is I'm sure you will want to stay somewhere thats decent(area and Accommodation ) particularly if you are bringing your girlfriend, so just be wary about simply going for the cheapest option.

If you find somewhere and want to post it up, people might at least tell you what the area is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/london-city.en.html?aid=303948;label=bookings-naam-3jHr6EsDyn1Uq9ttdGmKKwS4013691321;sid=ba2faa6a88d40afd16ec6a8f3e095a75;checkin=2010-06-22;checkout=2010-06-24

That's probably the cheapest you're going to get in Central London at that kind of notice.

Best of luck, hope it goes well for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Me and a mate are heading to London on 6th August to the 8th. Looking for a twin room or hostel or anything as we won't be in the room at all. We are meeting up with mates there and will be drinking the whole weekend.

Price is a huge factor here.

Preferably I would like to stay in the Kensington & Chelsea borough but anywhere near-by would do too. All I can get are quotes of about £100 a night. Anybody able to do any cheaper?

Osu wrote: »
    Me and a mate are heading to London on 6th August to the 8th. Looking for a twin room or hostel or anything as we won't be in the room at all. We are meeting up with mates there and will be drinking the whole weekend.

Price is a huge factor here.

Preferably I would like to stay in the Kensington & Chelsea borough but anywhere near-by would do too. All I can get are quotes of about £100 a night. Anybody able to do any cheaper?

Can you give a max price on what you want to spend between you in total per night?

Can see the Holiday Inn Express Earls Court at £90 per night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Hi,

Heading over to London this Friday with the missus and we want to see a show in the West End. Anyone know the best way to get tickets? I know Ticketmaster do them but they seem to have fairly low availability, is it best to just get them over there from one of the sellers on the street?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi,

Heading over to London this Friday with the missus and we want to see a show in the West End. Anyone know the best way to get tickets? I know Ticketmaster do them but they seem to have fairly low availability, is it best to just get them over there from one of the sellers on the street?

Thanks,

It really depends on what you want to see, if you want to see a particular show and it is a popular one eg Wicked, Lion King, Oliver, you would be best to get on to Ticketmaster or the theatres own website asap. If you aren't fussed about what you see the tkts booth on Leicester Square is a good option. They sell discounted tickets for that nights shows, but it can be a bit pot luck what shows are available and what kind of seats you will get. Some shows are never discounted like the ones above or ones with famous faces. But the tkts website will give you an idea what is normally for sale. Avoid the guys on the streets advertising big discounts, they often end up charging much more than face value. Best stick to the official discount route which is the tkts booth.

http://www.tkts.co.uk/

They open at 10am and the popular shows go early, so get queuing in plenty of time!

Finally got sorted for a hotel that was well reviewed and cheap considering location. Holiday Inn express Park Royal which is 2mins walk (i read) from north acton tube station.

Thanks to those who helped. Should we get a nectar card do ye think for travelling around? We getting the stanstead express in to Liverpool st station from airport. and gotta get to hotel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Finally got sorted for a hotel that was well reviewed and cheap considering location. Holiday Inn express Park Royal which is 2mins walk (i read) from north acton tube station.

Thanks to those who helped. Should we get a nectar card do ye think for travelling around? We getting the stanstead express in to Liverpool st station from airport. and gotta get to hotel then.

First of all it is an Oyster card, not Nectar

Have a look at the One day travel cards first, as I think there are some offers available for touristy places with them

To get to the hotel from Liverpool Street

Get Hammersmith and City line to Hammersmith, then get a Piccadilly line train west bound to Uxbridge or Rayners Lane

First of all it is an Oyster card, not Nectar

Have a look at the One day travel cards first, as I think there are some offers available for touristy places with them

To get to the hotel from Liverpool Street

Get Hammersmith and City line to Hammersmith, then get a Piccadilly line train west bound to Uxbridge or Rayners Lane

Is the Hotel not at North Acton?

Could he not just take the central line direct from Liverpool street? should take approx 30 mins :)

Is the Hotel not at North Acton?

Could he not just take the central line direct from Liverpool street? should take approx 30 mins :)

Ya it says on website its 2min walk from north acton station. So just take central line ya?

Ya it says on website its 2min walk from north acton station. So just take central line ya?

Yes central direct from Liverpool st to North Acton

Afraid I don't know much about Acton, but you are very close to Oxford street for the shopping from where you are, again direct tube link to Bond Street and of course you are very close to Westfield again direct tube link on the Central line to Shepherd's Bush or White City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yes central direct from Liverpool st to North Acton

Afraid I don't know much about Acton, but you are very close to Oxford street for the shopping from where you are, again direct tube link to Bond Street and of course you are very close to Westfield again direct tube link on the Central line to Shepherd's Bush or White City.

Acton is a pretty cosmopolitan typical London suburb. not much there for a tourist tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I used to live near Acton Town station. The only thing reccomending it was that it's on the picadilly line.

Suburbs, nothing for a tourist at all. I expect the only people who stay in hotels aorund there are business travellers working locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Acton is a pretty cosmopolitan typical London suburb. not much there for a tourist tbh.

yeah, cosmopolitan is the word, a lot of black people. i've stayed in the park royal holiday inn, wouldn't do it again. rooms are grand and breakfast is good and stuff but just in a dodgy area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone got any good restaurant reccommendations?

I'll frame it with the following;

Staying: Paddington - [Have access to Bakerloo, Hammersmith & City, District and Central lines]

Taste: European or British - [i.e. wouldn't be going near any Indians etc although if there was a [I]really[/I] good Chinese I'd stretch to it]

Budget: ~£75 for 2

Thanks

/waits for trusty arsenal fan and all round gent openroad to pitch in

Advertisement