Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for hotels centre location - nothing too pricy for 6 girls - 2 nights 05 nov to 07 nov (2 nights). Would it work out cheaper 3 per room?
    Have tried hilton tower - little expensive though.
    Thanks

Have you looked at the link from the other thread.

I would be looking to have a ma of 2 per room, anymore and it gets a bit crowded, London hotel rooms tend to be small.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056000025

Something I posted in the London megathread OP you might find of interest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63429448&highlight=harrods#post63429448

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap centrally located hotel for me, heading over on Sat last minute. Any cheap offers like D4 Hotels in Dublin etc,

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Leyton Orient, Millwall, Brentford and Barnet are all at home on Saturday:D

Natural History and Science museums are a good place to start. the Tower of London and Tower bridge are good as well.

Agree with all that , Chelsea are also at home .... tkts are a little more difficult for them. If you do try , go to the tkt office on match day , there the security guys allow fans to sell their spares to people strictly at face value of course ( or at least they used to it may have changed )

Orient/Millwall / Brentford and Barnet you will have no problem getting tkts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

spiderdan wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap centrally located hotel for me, heading over on Sat last minute. Any cheap offers like D4 Hotels in Dublin etc,

Cheers

You could try Easyhotel, Premier inn or Travel lodge. You are leaving it a bit late to get something cheap, but they are probably your best bets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Tottenham are at home on Saturday as well.
    Racing in Goodwood Sat and Sun and Epsom on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I did have a look thanks - why are london hotel specifically smaller? i.e. been in other hotels around the world that fit 3 per room. Or is it a money thing?

Any more suggestions welcome.

I did have a look thanks - why are london hotel specifically smaller? i.e. been in other hotels around the world that fit 3 per room. Or is it a money thing?

there's a travelodge near Covent Garden. No idea what it is like, but it has mixed reviews on tripadvisor. they have rooms that will take three people and it is about as cheap as you will get in central london.

Think it is more down to having comfort imo, most rooms will accomodate three people and rooms will be advertised for three people and will fit three people but it can get a bit crowded imo.

For a good hotel you are going to be paying a minimum of £80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

Hi i'm goin to london for a weekend (Fri - Sun).Can anyone recommend any budget city central hotels? i've been looking but most seem expensive?
    Also which is the best airport to fly into....

thanks

• Advertisement

pw01 wrote: »
    Hi i'm goin to london for a weekend (Fri - Sun).Can anyone recommend any budget city central hotels? i've been looking but most seem expensive?
    Also which is the best airport to fly into....

thanks

Look back over this thread for hotel suggestions, there are quite a few.

The best is City airport, but they are all much of a muchness to be honest. Luton is possibly the worst, but only because you have to get a bus to the station. City airport only has Cityjet flying there and they aren't the cheapest.

One word of advice, if you go to Gatwick or Heathrow, try and avoid the "Express" trains. They cost twice as much but only get you where you are going a few minutes earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Caw

me and my girlfriend are going to London for a five day break in October and trying to find good accomdation at a reasonable enough price! Would be greatful for any suggestions of places to stay aka hotels apartments etc!! Thanks:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You'll have to give us more info that than.

The best hotel in London could mean a lot of different things to different people.

What is your budget per night ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Caw wrote: »
    me and my girlfriend are going to London for a five day break in October and trying to find good accomdation at a reasonable enough price! Would be greatful for any suggestions of places to stay aka hotels apartments etc!! Thanks:D

I have been staying in this place for a while now, for work, and if I was coming back for a break I would come here or somewhere similar instead of a hotel. Prices and pics are on the website. Its 5 minutes walk from Marble Arch, Oxford Street, and about 10 minutes to Paddington in the other direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oswaldo

Cheap hotel in london central. does it exist. come on forum!!!

Im talkin 2 people,3 nights less than 300 quid total. (150 euro between 2) for sept 17th -20th.

Its like a ****ing war zone trying to book something online!!!

oswaldo wrote: »
    Cheap hotel in london central. does it exist. come on forum!!!

Im talkin 2 people,3 nights less than 300 quid total. (150 euro between 2) for sept 17th -20th.

Its like a ****ing war zone trying to book something online!!!

Have a look at the website below, will be hard to find somewhere good for £85 per night though imo.

Just checked where I stay and it comes in at £376, but includes a full buffet breakfast each day.

www.holidayinn.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Travelodge do "saver" rooms for £19 if you can get them. Generally good value, they have a few in the Kings Cross area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Caw

we are willing to spend at most 500e! looking for something that is reasonable enough and fairly central to the city.:)

Caw wrote: »
    we are willing to spend at most 500e! looking for something that is reasonable enough and fairly central to the city.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63730141&highlight=forum#post63730141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

You could look at Premier Inn as well. They have a good few locations around usually close to Public transport and clean rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DaniB

Hey,

Just looking for a bit of info please!

Im staying at the Tower Bridge Travelodge Oct bank hol for 3 nights, can anyone reccommend decent pubs and clubs nearby?

Would I be best to fly into Heathrow?

Anyone know how far away Thorpe Park is from there?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pintofmilk

Dani, there isn't any good nightlife near Tower Bridge I am afraid!! You will have to venture into Soho or up to Shoreditch - the latter being the better option in my book.

Fly to City Airport for Tower Bridge. Only costs £2.50 to get from airport to hotel in 30 mins. Heathrow would be £2.50 and 70 minutes via tube or £12 and same time via Heathrow Express!!

City airport rocks - nice and small so you can get through it in no time... of course there aren't that many flights so this may all be a mute point depending on where you are coming from!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Hey guys,

Going to London tommorrow morning. Flight arrives at 7:45. Whats the best option; stansted express or a bus??

I read that Ryanair sell the Express train tickets for 10 pound on board, but that post was all the way back in 2009. Do they still do it?

Sound!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Hi Guys

Looking at going to London in December, Ryan Air have return flights for €20 to Stanstead and Gatwick for €30. I have not yet booked the hotel, I am wondering which airport is better to fly into and will be the least expensive and easiest to get in to London from. There will be just the 2 of us but am wondering which is the best option train, tube , bus or taxi.

Any help and advice gratefully received. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Gatwick is easy to get into town from. Take the train - but *not* rip-off Gatwick Express, just a regular train. It takes only five minutes longer than the Express and will cost you about 9 quid. You can also buy a ticket that includes a Day Travelcard so you can get started on exploring the city by tube & bus.

The tube only goes to Heathrow by the way and the DLR to City. Neither serves Stansted or Gatwick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Hi Guys

Looking at going to London in December, Ryan Air have return flights for €20 to Stanstead and Gatwick for €30. I have not yet booked the hotel, I am wondering which airport is better to fly into and will be the least expensive and easiest to get in to London from. There will be just the 2 of us but am wondering which is the best option train, tube , bus or taxi.

Any help and advice gratefully received. Thanks

Find a hotel first and then decide. if your hotel is closer to liverpool street, then pick stanstead. if you're closer to victoria, choose gatwick. it'll save a bit of commute time. both airports are very well served when it comes to trains, buses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭Cartman78

(Apologies if this has been covered before in this thread but at work so don't have time to trawl thru everything)

Heading over to London in November and would like to buy tickets before I go (not to keen on spending hours queuing at the discount kiosks) - can anyone recommend a website that offers cheap-ish tickets?

cheers cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Travelling via heathrow arriving at T1, is an hour and a half enough time for connecting flight to T4. I heard its a bit of a trek between terminals. No baggage to collect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Cartman78 wrote: »
    (Apologies if this has been covered before in this thread but at work so don't have time to trawl thru everything)

Heading over to London in November and would like to buy tickets before I go (not to keen on spending hours queuing at the discount kiosks) - can anyone recommend a website that offers cheap-ish tickets?

cheers cm
    Not too certain about websites but you definitely won't spend hours queuing. I used the TKTS booth in Leicester Square recently. The first time I was in the queue 5 minutes. The second maybe 10. The second time the queue was big and I thought I'd be there ages but it moves quite fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xDECOx

Irish young Professional is fantastic CV is looking to rent a room or place to stay in south west/south london as i work pernamently in this area!! if any body no's off anybody within the irish community preferably that could help me could they please PM ME!!

Advertisement