Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Hi
    Willl be in London on 22 Feb and am flying out of Stansted on 23rd morning. Looking for a late bar to spend a few hours supping beer before getting a bus to airport. Looking for somewhere near Liverpool St or Baker St that opens till around 3 am
    anyone???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

urranger wrote: »
    Hi
    Willl be in London on 22 Feb and am flying out of Stansted on 23rd morning. Looking for a late bar to spend a few hours supping beer before getting a bus to airport. Looking for somewhere near Liverpool St or Baker St that opens till around 3 am
    anyone???????????

Liverpool St might be a bit dead as pubs in the square mile tend to close early. There are several pubs at Baker Street though. Your best bet is to check out WWW.beerintheevening.com and see what is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Liverpool St might be a bit dead as pubs in the square mile tend to close early. There are several pubs at Baker Street though. Your best bet is to check out WWW.beerintheevening.com and see what is recommended.

The actual pub in the Station did apply for a 24 hour license, wether they stay open or not is a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Hey folks,

Heading to London next month with the girlfriend and have been instructed to find somewhere 'nice' to stay....which from what I can understand means:

"sure you do only need one kidney anyway, right?"

Can anyone recommend a 'nice' hotel around central London (Covent Garden..ish preferably) for around £100 to £150(max) per night?????

Cheers all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Try Premier Inns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hey folks,

Heading to London next month with the girlfriend and have been instructed to find somewhere 'nice' to stay....which from what I can understand means:

Can anyone recommend a 'nice' hotel around central London (Covent Garden..ish preferably) for around £100 to £150(max) per night?????

Cheers all.

Is it that she wants to be walking distance to Covent Garden or just close by transport wise. If its the latter have a look at below link, direct tube from Gloucester Road to Covent Garden- 10 mins. Also Harrods is direct from here two stops(3-4 mins)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59595655&highlight=kensington+forum#post59595655

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

Hello,
    I'm heading to London midweek on business (to watch a football match) but need to catch an early flight out of Heathrow the following day.
    Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel close to Heathrow or close to the piccadilly tube stops near heathrow??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

http://easyhotel.com/

They've got a hotel out in Heathrow. I've staying a couple of times in their hotels in London and was always impressed with what I got for the price.

Small rooms, but clean, secure, no frills.

edit: seems you may need a taxi from the hotel to the airport tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

http://easyhotel.com/

They've got a hotel out in Heathrow. I've staying a couple of times in their hotels in London and was always impressed with what I got for the price.

Small rooms, but clean, secure, no frills.

edit: seems you may need a taxi from the hotel to the airport tho.

Thanks catho_monster. Managed to find an IBIS hotel pretty close for around the same price - 45 europes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you had to get from Gatwick Airport to the Kensington area of London, outside of rush, is the Gatwick Express plus Tube the best route or is there a direct bus from Gatwick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

faceman wrote: »
    If you had to get from Gatwick Airport to the Kensington area of London, outside of rush, is the Gatwick Express plus Tube the best route or is there a direct bus from Gatwick?

Yes, cheaper option is to take a stopping train into Victoria then transfer on to the tube.

For get about the bus, traffic will be a pain

faceman wrote: »

As said Gatwick express to Victoria and then tube West bound Circle(yellow line) or District(Green Line) both on same platform towards Kensington, unless you are going to High Street Kensington tube station, in which case Circle Line tube train only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bread Bath

paul75 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm heading to London midweek on business (to watch a football match) but need to catch an early flight out of Heathrow the following day.
    Can anyone recommend a cheap hotel close to Heathrow or close to the piccadilly tube stops near heathrow??

If you're looking for a hotel near Piccadilly, TubeHotels.com is good for finding places near tube stations, and it works with Heathrow as well. While it's nothing too fancy, I had a very pleasant stay in the Regent Palace Hotel with my girlfriend a few years ago, and it was nice and cheap considering it was in the middle of Piccadilly Circus.
    Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dcuhightach

Hi all,

My friends and I are planning a short break away to London(hope to leave on a Thursday and return Sunday, sometime in June). Anyway, we dont really know much about the area as it is sooo big so we really need some location sites. We would love somewhere that is cheap, preferably >€200, if possible. We are looking to stay some where that is close to main shopping areas, the wax museum, close to clubs and pubs i.e lively and possibly a football stadium. I know it's alot to ask but your advice would truly be great!

Look forward to hearing from you all, Cheers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hey, Im heading to london in 3 weeks time, going on a friday and back on a sunday. Mainly just going to see the sites and see london itself as ive never been.
    Want to try and stay in a hotel, my girlfriend and I. I'm a student so my budget is probably €150 for the 2 nights, or less preferably. If thats at all possible could someone suggest somewhere not too far from the main shopping/sites/restaurant/pubs areas (ive no idea what the main areas are).
    Thanks

For the two posters above, have a look at the below link, price may be slightly above your budgets but have a look.

Your budgets are kind of tight for London imo especially as you are looking to stay in Central London and somewhere reasonable.

As regards the area to stay, I would look at Kensington, it is in zone 1, and you are 10-15 mins by tube from all the shopping areas, places of interest. You are also close to most of the football stadiums, closest stadiums in Kensington would be Chelsea, Fulham and QPR, but all other stadiums are near enough by tube.

If the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum is too expensive, you can check out the second link which is for the Premier Inn. Also in the Kensington area, I don't know anything about the hotel itself, but is a well known brand.

Any questions feel free to ask :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59595655&highlight=kensington+forum#post59595655

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LONKEN/london-kensington-earls-court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just wondering about Nike Town. Say you make an appointment then make up your runners do they then post them out to you or can you collect them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Hunnybunny100

Hi there
    Can anyone recommend a hotel near Wembley Stadium, (hopefully within walking distance). Doesnt need to be anything fancy, just cheap and cheerful.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Hi there
    Can anyone recommend a hotel near Wembley Stadium, (hopefully within walking distance). Doesnt need to be anything fancy, just cheap and cheerful.
    Thanks

Try Wembley Plaza think it's a Hilton Hotel, was at an exhibition with work last year in the Wembley Arena was only a 5mins walk away, stadium is there as well. We flew into Heathrow and got the tube around London.

There is a quality inn as well. No idea what it is like, I've only ever used the outside temporary bar they put up for big games.

It is right next to wembley park tube and 5 minutes walk to the stadium.

There is nothing around wembley though, personally I would stay in the west end and get the tube to wembley.

There is a travelodge at marylebone station (direct overland rail services to wembley stadium) that sounds quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 point7

Hey folks,

Cheers all.

This reply is for others too looking for central accommodation & general info. London is full of hotels - check tripadvisor for reviews. However tried and tested is Park Plaza County Hall in Waterloo http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ry/gbcounty -my folks stayed there when visiting me in London...

...it's by Waterloo Station, which is beside the Eye, across from Westminster & Big Ben. If you cross over to Embankment (10 min, if even) walk, you're in Covent Garden.

Waterloo has trains to Gatwick (I think, if not change at Clapham Junction) 30 mins to Gatwick anyway. Cheaper than the Gatwick Express

Walk along Southbank towards London Bridge and you have the Tate Modern, Shakespeares Globe & Borough Market. Head over London Bridge, towards the Square Mile / The City... up off Bishopsgate (Liverpool St Stn), you have Spitalfields Market (lovely on a Sunday) - and head towards Commercial Rd and inbetween Brick Lane (famous for curries) and there's an electic scene. Basically Shoreditch.

However Covent Garden is good for shopping (although packed with tourists, natch) - walk from there (5 min) to China Town which is cheap for eating out, and also behind Leicester Square... after that head up into Soho (lots of eating places also), which has good bars / pubs - mostly people from media / television scene hang out there and it's also got a good gay scene. Oxford St then runs over that.

Heaps of restaurants are running voucher offers in London - one of the most popular is Pizza Express & Strada (always meeting the girls for wine and pizza!) - good to check them out if you're on a budget - and don't be embarrassed to use the voucher - everyone is!

Toptable.co.uk also has offers for restaurants, when you book through them. Have had the opportunity to eat in some lovely places as a result.

Hope this helps!

7x

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Hi,

7 of us flying to Luton next month,
    Will need a taxi / minibus from Luton to central London.

I've seen a few taxi firms on the luton airport website, but would prefer boardsies experiences.

Can anyone recommend a good minibus / taxi company?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭londonbus

There is a quality inn as well. No idea what it is like, I've only ever used the outside temporary bar they put up for big games.

It is right next to wembley park tube and 5 minutes walk to the stadium.

There is nothing around wembley though, personally I would stay in the west end and get the tube to wembley.

There is a travelodge at marylebone station (direct overland rail services to wembley stadium) that sounds quite good.

Erm - there's a Premier Inn right by the tube:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/WEMPTI/london-wembley-stadium

and there's a Quality Hotel 5 mins from the Arena:

http://www.qualityhotel-wembley.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

Hi,

We are going to London on a family trip this weekend and I would be grateful of any ideas for activities that would be suitable for everyone. Basically there are 9 of us all adults & my sis is a disabled girl who would get tired with lots of walking. I know London quite well having spent a summer working there 8 years ago & many trips in between but thinking of good group activities is tough. Musicals are ruled out as the ladies have been to most of them and the lads aren't interested. We have thought of the following as possibilities, any feedback / info on these would be great too;
    • London Zoo
    • Tower of London tour
    • London Eye
    • Imperial War Museum
    • Boat trip on Thames
    • Early morning markets

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭corigi

Hey Guys,

We off to London on a stag this weekend.Could anyone recommend some decent pubs/clubs to visit?Some pubs with live Music be great or places were we can have a bit of a laugh nothing posh?

We staying in Vauxhall but anywhere within 10miles or so be fine.Cheers in advance.

Ste- wrote: »
    Just wondering about Nike Town. Say you make an appointment then make up your runners do they then post them out to you or can you collect them ?

Don't know about collection, but we had to get ours sent to a UK address as they wouldn't send them to Ireland.

I would definitely recommend it though, you feel like a celeb and get to design your own runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Any recommendations for taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Any recommendations for taxi?

No recommendations for taxi, but myself and the better half got a taxi from luton to london and it cost £90. There is a congestion charge added to your fare in London and traffic was absolutely mental. At a standstill for ages while meter ran before my eyes.

As there is a group of you this is different and will work out cheaper, but i would advise you organise it beforehand, getting a quote and enquire about this charge to make sure its included. Otherwise i think its 20-25 mins by train/ shuttle.

Good luck.

There is also easybus into baker street and Victoria as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Hi all,
    Looking to take the girlfriend to London for 3/4 nights in july,looking for something nice 4 or 5* with a spa,any recomendations?...She'll probobally look to do a bit of shopping as well so somewhere within easy comute of the shopping malls or centres is as plus..
    Thanks in advance....

Advertisement