Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Goreygal wrote: »
    Stay away from the Angus Steak Houses what ever you do!

Reminds me of this picture I snapped in London once:

http://fabianowski.de/gallery/picture.php?/1128/category/30

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

undo wrote: »
    Reminds me of this picture I snapped in London once:

http://fabianowski.de/gallery/picture.php?/1128/category/30

Love it! That says it all about that particular chain of "restaurants" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Can anyone help?

Thinking of heading over with the missus and 3 kids fo 2 nights in october.
    Anyone know a reasonably priced hotel that will take 5 in a room or a little apartment for a 2 night let?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can anyone help?

Thinking of heading over with the missus and 3 kids fo 2 nights in october.
    Anyone know a reasonably priced hotel that will take 5 in a room or a little apartment for a 2 night let?
    Thanks.

age of kids?

age of kids?

5,3 and 2.
    Just a place to sleep really as we will be sightseeing and eating out.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    5,3 and 2.
    Just a place to sleep really as we will be sightseeing and eating out.
    Thanks.

Have a gander through this

Premier would be a good bet, but call the hotel direct, travelodge staff can only give you what the computer tells them

Have a gander through this

Premier would be a good bet, but call the hotel direct, travelodge staff can only give you what the computer tells them

Thank you very much....that is a great site...will be used again and again by us.
    Thank you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

My head is a bit melted from searching for hotels in central London for a five night break at the end of August, does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally we are looking for somewhere with in a short walk of Oxford / Bond street for 4 nights and have a budget of max. €500....

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Mac0783 wrote: »
    My head is a bit melted from searching for hotels in central London for a five night break at the end of August, does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally we are looking for somewhere with in a short walk of Oxford / Bond street for 4 nights and have a budget of max. €500....

any hotel within a short walk of those areas are likely to be very expensive and out of you budget or really grotty within budget. London public transport
    is fantastic and you can get a zone 1-2 travel pass that you can use on tube and buses so you can go out a bit further to get better value accommodation. check out tfl.gov.UK. for journey times and planning. Try holiday inn on Tower Bridge Road, the Novotel on Southwark Bridge Road...I used to walk home to that area from Oxford St...takes about 40 minutes. Both are with walking distance of the Southbank and close to tube and bus routes to Oxford St.e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Just got an email from booking.com with some "flash deals" there's a hotel in London near Paddington, reviews aren't amazing but it's at half price, see here

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=339530&selected_currency=EUR&flash_deals=1&country=gb&label=350_from_gb_350base&utm_source=flashdeals&utm_medium=email350&utm_name=_from_gb&utm_content=_350base&emk=2Q8ELKX66Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Just got an email from booking.com with some "flash deals" there's a hotel in London near Paddington, reviews aren't amazing but it's at half price, see here

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=339530&selected_currency=EUR&flash_deals=1&country=gb&label=350_from_gb_350base&utm_source=flashdeals&utm_medium=email350&utm_name=_from_gb&utm_content=_350base&emk=2Q8ELKX66Y

I stayed at the St Giles a few times, its right at the top of Oxford street, the rooms are quite small but You dont spend too much time in them anyway so it doesnt matter

thanks for all the help, still haven't found the "one" though, so any other suggestion for a central nice hotel would be greatly appreciated... thanks

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

With that sort of budget you will be doing well to get anything decent. May I suggest Jurys Inns.com. You will get a good one on Pentonville road in Islington with very good bus and tube(Angel) connections. As far as I can remember the 205(bus) from outside the door go's to Oxford St but hotel staff can con firm this.

Ok so after more (extensive!) research am inclined to agree to am upping my budget to €600 / 650... still have nothing booked, am beginning to regret booking flights before hotel!!

Ok so after more (extensive!) research am inclined to agree to am upping my budget to €600 / 650... still have nothing booked, am beginning to regret booking flights before hotel!!

Have a look at the Jurys at the Angel 10/15 minutes in a bus straight to Oxford Cirus

Ditto Travelodge / Premier Inns at Kings Cross Euston

We have a very good night bus service

With Jurys you can cancel your booking for free up to 2pm on the day of check in. What I normally do is book with jurys first, then go looking for flights that suit and then cancel any bookings I'm not going to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

thanks for all the help, still haven't found the "one" though, so any other suggestion for a central nice hotel would be greatly appreciated... thanks

:D

I'm just back from London. I stayed in the Melia White House Hotel. It's by Regent's Park and has two tube stations just across the road (Great Portland Street and Regent's Park) and is about a 15 minute stroll to Oxford Street. Rooms are nice, not small and very clean. Four star and less than £100 per night. I would suggest you check it out! Full of spanish as it's a spanish chain but as long as that doesn't bother you!

elainers wrote: »
    I'm just back from London. I stayed in the Melia White House Hotel. It's by Regent's Park and has two tube stations just across the road (Great Portland Street and Regent's Park) and is about a 15 minute stroll to Oxford Street. Rooms are nice, not small and very clean. Four star and less than £100 per night. I would suggest you check it out! Full of spanish as it's a spanish chain but as long as that doesn't bother you!

Oh i have been looking at that one, will put back in my short list so! thanks a million.

elainers wrote: »

Oh i have been looking at that one, will put back in my short list so! thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

No hassle! Good luck in your search!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I'd recommend the Strand Palace Hotel as a nice central location. Just up the road from Trafalgar Sq. I didn't stay in it myself but I booked it for the in-laws and the wanted something very central because they didn't want to use the tube and they said it was in a great spot and nice hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Stayed in the Strand Palace last November and couldn't fault it. Priced it again for this November but it seems a good bit dearer at the moment. Worth keeping any eye out for deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice on travel in London, I'm heading to Stamford bridge on saturday and looking for info on my different travel options,

I am flying into Heathrow and back out through Gatwick the following day so I will need to go from Heathrow to Stamford bridge to Gatwick. I don't mind walking a few k's here and there.

I saw that there is a London travel card but that wouldn't include travel to Gatwick.

All suggestions welcome.

I could get the London underground to Paddington for £5 or the London connect for £8.50. Could I walk from there to Stamford bridge?

I think Southern rail from Victoria station to Gatwick would be the cheapest and goes pretty regularly so would that be my best option?
    Mods please move if you think I will receive more replies elsewhere, thanks!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As far as I know, the nearest tube station to Stamford Bridge is Fulham Broadway.

You could get the Tube at Heathrow (Piccadilly line) and get off at Earl's court, and change onto the District line (bound for Wimbledon) and get off at Fulham Broadway.

Allow about 50-60 minutes for this journey, but it probably will be shorter!

If you want to pay by cash, this will be £5. But you can get an oyster card, which costs £5, and it will only cost £1.40 (off peak). You can either keep the oyster cards for future visits to London (they are extremely useful - they work on buses/tubes/DLR/overground rail etc.), or cash it in at a tube station which means you'll get your £5 back and any credit that's on the card.

The easiest way to get to Gatwick is probably to get the tube back into Victoria, on the district line (Cash: £4, or Oyster Off-Peak: £1.90) then either get the Gatwick Express, or a stopping train to Gatwick, or often a cheap alternative is easyBus - type in your dates on those websites and see which works out the best, but with easyBus you're nearly always better off booking in advance.

Here's a useful page about fares on the tube
    And a reference map of the tube network

Edit: I should say that you can buy oyster cards at tube stations, but I've never flown into Heathrow so I'm not sure. My dad flew into Heathrow a few years ago and said there seemed to be no ticket desk in the tube station and Heathrow, and he had to use an automatic machine - I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but if there's a ticket desk you can buy oyster cards there - as far as I know, you can also buy them at machines.

Yes there is a ticket desk at Heathrow tube station, it is on your right hand side across from the ticket vending machines.

As far as I know, the nearest tube station to Stamford Bridge is Fulham Broadway.

Yes I think it is, alternatively I would have went to Victoria station and just walked, I think it's only 3km.
    You could get the Tube at Heathrow (Piccadilly line) and get off at Earl's court, and change onto the District line (bound for Wimbledon) and get off at Fulham Broadway.

Allow about 50-60 minutes for this journey, but it probably will be shorter!

If you want to pay by cash, this will be £5. But you can get an oyster card, which costs £5, and it will only cost £1.40 (off peak).

If I pay by cash do I then pay again for the Earls court- Wimbledon train or am I allowed to hop onto that for free after the first train? Sorry I'm a useless traveller :o
    The easiest way to get to Gatwick is probably to get the tube back into Victoria, on the district line (Cash: £4, or Oyster Off-Peak: £1.90) then either get the Gatwick Express, or a stopping train to Gatwick, or often a
    cheap alternative is easyBus - type in your dates on those websites and see which works out the best, but with easyBus you're nearly always better off booking in advance.

That's a great help, I can actually get tickets for £2.99 at the time I want to travel on easybus . That bus picks us up at Earls Court/west brom, do you know how to get from fulham broadway to there?

Thanks you're very helpful, I was just confusing myself looking at all the different options!!

Edited: sorry that Earls court line is where I would have got off in the first place....duh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Get the tube from Heatrow to Earls Court. Get off and walk to Fulham Broadway from there, it will ltake you about 25 minutes and will take you through West Brompton.

West Brompton has some good Chelsea pubs and you can walk to the ground in less than ten minutes through the graveyard.

Get the tube from Heatrow to Earls Court. Get off and walk to Fulham Broadway from there, it will ltake you about 25 minutes and will take you through West Brompton.

West Brompton has some good Chelsea pubs and you can walk to the ground in less than ten minutes through the graveyard.

That's perfect thanks!! It'll work out very cheap aswell as it will only be £5 x2 for me and my OH and then the easybus back will only be £2.99 x 2

Happy days:D:D More money for the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Depending where you are staying consider getting a weekend travel card at Heatrow. This will cover you for all buses and tubes in London. I think the cost is about £7 but its been a while since i been there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Tayla wrote: »
    If I pay by cash do I then pay again for the Earls court- Wimbledon train or am I allowed to hop onto that for free after the first train? Sorry I'm a useless traveller :o
    I'm 95% sure it just counts as the one journey! You are actually paying for Heathrow -> Fulham Broadway, the fact that you are changing lines isn't relevant! At least that how it works in the city centre tube stations - the automatic turnstiles where you put your ticket in to get through are only at the entrance/exit of the station - if you are just changing lines at a station, you don't need to go through them!
    Tayla wrote: »
    That's a great help, I can actually get tickets for £2.99 at the time I want to travel on easybus . That bus picks us up at Earls Court/west brom, do you know how to get from fulham broadway to there?
    Whoops - I had it in my head that the easyBus to Gatwick left from Victoria - West Brompton / Earl's Court is even handier for you! I'm not sure exactly where that is as I've only ever got the easyBus to Stansted, but when you print out your easyBus ticket there's a small map with directions about where the stop is located! Remember to leave a bit of extra time for the bus journey in case there's bad traffic!

Edit: here's a map showing the pickup location http://www.easybus.co.uk/london-gatwick/gatwick-bus-route/gatwick-to-london-earls-court-west-brompton

Advertisement