Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Andy89

Hi, I'm trying to plan a weekend for me and the girlfriend to London near the Hammersmith Apollo. Any recommendations for accomadation that is reasonably priced, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express , which is on Hammersmith High St about 3 mins walk from the Odeon ( Apollo ) .. ( I still call it the Odeon )

It was very good , clean and cheap for the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Whenever I've flown to Stansted I've taken Terravision into Victoria. Never had a problem with them.

Then again I've never booked the wrong route :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Probably a tad trivial query, but nonetheless!

I'm travelling to London at the weekend, flying into Stansted and then I want to get myself into central London.

Anyway I'm not that particularly well traveled and was just wondering what would be the cheapest way to travel from the airport into the city?. I'm a student!

I'm guessing a bus would be cheaper than any train?.
    And probably booking in advance, and online, would also bring down the price?.

Is there any specific website I should be checking out?.

As I said it's a small matter, but being a poor student and all that.......

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The cheapest way would be to walk.

snubbleste wrote: »
    The cheapest way would be to walk.

Excellent idea, however the thing is I'm not a fcuking Olympian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Depends where you want to go in London. Cheapest way is the national express bus to Stratford (east end)(£8), thats on the central line and jubilee line etc. If your going to the west end area get the Victoria coach, you can hop off that at Baker Street, Marble Arch etc. Otherwise get the Liverpool street bus for "the city". Those 2 buses are £10.50 i think. Easiest way is to book online and have the ticket printed off before you travel.

Stansted express is a ripoff don't even consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I've always found this company good http://www.terravision.eu/london.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Flying into Stanstead Fri week. Hotel in Putney Bridge.
    What bus stop would you guys recommend getting off at?
    We're flying back on he Sun at 10:15 am. Im sure there will be buses running to stanstead that early on a Sun right?

Can we buy an oyster card then when we get off the bus at any newsagents?

Thanks Guys!

• Advertisement

So anyway, I used Terravison to get from Stansted to Liverpool St.

Booked online, and just after doing so realized I had booked my returning bus at the wrong departure time; no problem changing my reservation.
    Also arrived early for both the bus going in to Liverpool St, and the returning bus to Stansted, again no problem with being allowed on the earlier service.

At £14 return per adult, I reckon Terravison is the cheapest operator. Tickets can also be purchase at Stansted: £9 single IICRC.

Recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So Terravison is 14pound return to Liverpool St and the journey is 55mins

Stanstead express is 27pound return to Liverpool st and journey is 45 mins?

Am i missing something?
    Half price, same time pretty much?
    Anyone know if either company offer a student discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dr Nic wrote: »
    So Terravison is 14pound return to Liverpool St and the journey is 55mins

Stanstead express is 27pound return to Liverpool st and journey is 45 mins?

Am i missing something?
    Half price, same time pretty much?
    Anyone know if either company offer a student discount?

The only difference is the old bus v train one. The train is pretty much sure to be 45 minutes, whereas the bus time could take longer depending on the time of day.

Easybus might be even cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi everyone,

Myself and my friend are going for a weekend to London on the 25th November and we just booked our accommodation. We are staying the Earls Court area and just wondering whats the best train to get from Gatwick Airport to our destination? Would it be wise to book the tickets before we get there or can we just get them when we arrive?

Also what are the nearest tourist attractions to Earls Court and does anyone know anything about the Christmas Market they have and where exactly it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Myself and my friend are going for a weekend to London on the 25th November and we just booked our accommodation. We are staying the Earls Court area and just wondering whats the best train to get from Gatwick Airport to our destination? Would it be wise to book the tickets before we get there or can we just get them when we arrive?

Also what are the nearest tourist attractions to Earls Court and does anyone know anything about the Christmas Market they have and where exactly it is?

http://www.southernrailway.com/ -> Gatwick to Victoria, book in advance for ticket offers
    http://www.tubemaplondon.org/ - Victoria to Earls Court

For the rest... -> http://www.google.ie/ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Where is the best bar near Cannon Street for Munster game on Saturday?

kcb wrote: »
    http://www.southernrailway.com/ -> Gatwick to Victoria, book in advance for ticket offers
    http://www.tubemaplondon.org/ - Victoria to Earls Court

For the rest... -> http://www.google.ie/ :)

Thanks a million! Yeah I figured the Gatwick Express alright for getting to Central London - just a bit pricy! Looked at the tube map and it looks like you can get a tube from Victoria straight to Earls Court station!:)

Thanks a million! Yeah I figured the Gatwick Express alright for getting to Central London - just a bit pricy! Looked at the tube map and it looks like you can get a tube from Victoria straight to Earls Court station!:)

Don't get the express. The normal train is a lot cheaper and takes five minutes longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hi everyone,

Earls Court is within walking distance of the Science Museum, The Natural History Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum all of which are free and well worth a look (esp the first two imo).

Notting Hill, Kensington Gardens and Holland Park (to see how the other half live !) are also nearby.

The shoppers paradise of Knightsbridge is only a couple of stops away, famous for Harvey Nichols and Harrods. In the other direction, the new Westfield Shopping centre (Europe's largest) is a short distance away in Shepherd's Bush. My GF heads straight for the place whenever we're in London.

Earl's Court is located close to Chelsea Football Club who have a home game next Saturday. The area can get quite busy before and after matches but most of the fans are scattered across London and the place returns to normal in the evenings.

There is a large Australian population in & around Earls Court and this is reflected in the pubs and clubs in the area. And while there are some good cafés and bars locally, the West End (10 mins on Piccadilly Line) is the obvious place for nightlife on a weekend in London.

I'm not sure about Christmas Markets in the area but there is the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park and another in the South Bank near the London Eye.

Have a great weekend !

Lapin wrote: »

Earl's Court is located close to Chelsea Football Club who have a home game next Saturday. The area can get quite busy before and after matches but most of the fans are scattered across London and the place returns to normal in the evenings.

I'm not sure about Christmas Markets in the area but there is the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park and another in the South Bank near the London Eye.

Have a great weekend !

Thanks! Thank god we'll be away from the hotel early on Sat morning prob and won't get back till after dark so should have calmed down with football fans by then!

We're going to go to the Southbank Christmas markets anyway!:)

• Advertisement

Don't get the express. The normal train is a lot cheaper and takes five minutes longer.

Thanks - think we will get the express though cos heard that it's way busier on the other train cos it's not exclusively an airport train so ordinary londoners use it and it gets busy at peak times so thinking, we arrive at lunch time Friday so might be busy.

Thanks - think we will get the express though cos heard that it's way busier on the other train cos it's not exclusively an airport train so ordinary londoners use it and it gets busy at peak times so thinking, we arrive at lunch time Friday so might be busy.
    Well off peak at that time so no reason not to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

Hi all,

We are planning on taking a trip to London in January. Just wondering what is the best airport to fly into from Dublin. We havent booked any accomadation yet but we are planning on staying in Paddington, Victoria or Kings Cross area? Are these areas near the sights and shops does anyone know or any suggestions for the best places to stay.

I havent been to London before so im not that sure where to be looking, we would like to get an apartment maybe.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

alley2020 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are planning on taking a trip to London in January. Just wondering what is the best airport to fly into from Dublin. We havent booked any accomadation yet but we are planning on staying in Paddington, Victoria or Kings Cross area? Are these areas near the sights and shops does anyone know or any suggestions for the best places to stay.

I havent been to London before so im not that sure where to be looking, we would like to get an apartment maybe.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

If you are staying in Victoria, then Gatwick is best. If you are in Paddington, then Heathrow. Personally though, I know Paddington very well and I wouldn't consider it a particularly great place to stay. there is some interesting nightlife around there, but not very touristy and for a first timer it is safer to stick to the touristy areas.

None of the London airports are that difficult to get into London from (although Luton is probably the worst) but Gatwick seems to be the favourite choice at the moment as you have regular trains which take you into Victoria which is a pretty good place to base yourself.

Have a read through as much of this thread as you can, there is lots of very good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

I'm going to stay in London for one night in January and am thinking of booking a hotel on the secret hotels on lastminute.com There seem to be a few nice options; Mayfair, Kensington and near Tower Bridge. Any suggestions as to which area might be better...

I just have one more question - I've been reading one or two things about the area we are staying in (Holiday Inn Express, Earls Court, North End Road) and that it isn't 'the best of areas' - does this mean it's dodge?! I'm getting worried now

I just have one more question - I've been reading one or two things about the area we are staying in (Holiday Inn Express, Earls Court, North End Road) and that it isn't 'the best of areas' - does this mean it's dodge?! I'm getting worried now

To be honest have always felt more menace in Cork city than any part of London, you will be fine

To be honest have always felt more menace in Cork city than any part of London, you will be fine

Cool! Thanks!! That's put my mind at ease....somewhat! I'm sure it's a grand area - it's not like we're going to be spending much time there anyway - we'll be out all day and getting tube back I guess at night and tube is only 5 mins from hotel so..

Cool! Thanks!! That's put my mind at ease....somewhat! I'm sure it's a grand area - it's not like we're going to be spending much time there anyway - we'll be out all day and getting tube back I guess at night and tube is only 5 mins from hotel so..

It will be busy on Saturday, but other than that there is nothing wrong with that area.

That Hotel looks quite handy actually.

If its of interest, there is a very good Italian restaurant just down the road called the River Cafe. The BBC did a documentary on it back in 1997 and a trainee chef called Jamie Oliver did an unscripted commentary, to much acclaim. He has made a bit of a name for himself since.

• Advertisement

It will be busy on Saturday, but other than that there is nothing wrong with that area.

That Hotel looks quite handy actually.

If its of interest, there is a very good Italian restaurant just down the road called the River Cafe. The BBC did a documentary on it back in 1997 and a trainee chef called Jamie Oliver did an unscripted commentary, to much acclaim. He has made a bit of a name for himself since.

Thanks a million!

Wow is that Restaurant expensive? Wouldn't mind paying a visit:D Love Jamie so if he worked there then it's good enough for me!!:D

Advertisement