Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭username2010

Help wanted please Boardies!...

I'm heading to London for 5 nights in March, and looking for a decent hotel to stay in. We need to stay in the EC1 area, near Shoreditch, Islington - that kind of area.

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel, or decent budget hotel site?....I've tried all the usuals like lastminute.com etc.

Thanks in advance :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Budget ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Help wanted please Boardies!...

I'm heading to London for 5 nights in March, and looking for a decent hotel to stay in. We need to stay in the EC1 area, near Shoreditch, Islington - that kind of area.

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel, or decent budget hotel site?....I've tried all the usuals like lastminute.com etc.

Thanks in advance :):D

A poster on here a while back stayed at the City Hotel London, which from memory was on Brick lane. That was a budget hotel in that general area.

I think she said it was ok, but if nothing else you will be able to get a decent curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

hi

going to london for 4 days..will be checked into hotel by 2pm monday and will be leaving friday morning

we have booked the bus tour for the tuesday and wednesday

so much to do but can't do everything, go to factor in costs and time

anyone want to throw out suggestions as in what to do and what to do miss

so far thinkin tower of london for the history part , madamme's for the fun part. and a west end show

cheers in advance

jonny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CharlesKyle012

hiiiiiiiiiii

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

hi

going to london for 4 days..will be checked into hotel by 2pm monday and will be leaving friday morning

we have booked the bus tour for the tuesday and wednesday

so much to do but can't do everything, go to factor in costs and time

anyone want to throw out suggestions as in what to do and what to do miss

so far thinkin tower of london for the history part , madamme's for the fun part. and a west end show

cheers in advance

jonny

Gotta do the London Eye Jonny.

The Science Museum is another must see in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Pre book the eye and Tausauds on line, I know it's off season but all the same there might be school tours or what ever in front of you. The Tower is full of history. Windsor castle if it's open is another one to considir. Get the train from waterloo ststaion. Only about 20mins journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 suaimhneas_de

Hi..

We are heading off to London at the end of the summer and I'm looking for any Hotel recommendations for 2 Adult & 3 Kids somewhere in the City Centre (ish).

Are there any "Bewleys" type hotels that do a Family room..?

Thanks - Anthony.

Hi..

We are heading off to London at the end of the summer and I'm looking for any Hotel recommendations for 2 Adult & 3 Kids somewhere in the City Centre (ish).

Are there any "Bewleys" type hotels that do a Family room..?

Thanks - Anthony.

Google is your friend and here

I think somebody asked about rooms for five on this thread before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Get an apartment. Better for a gang like you have. Loads of them there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Flying into Gatwick the weekend, just checked the Gatwick Express to London Victoria is £52.50 for 2 people, any time return.

Ideally would like to get to Liverpool St direct, are there cheaper fares for trains to London from Gatwick airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Flying into Gatwick the weekend, just checked the Gatwick Express to London Victoria is £52.50 for 2 people, any time return.

Ideally would like to get to Liverpool St direct, are there cheaper fares for trains to London from Gatwick airport?

Hi,

yes...get the normal Bedford/Luton train to London Bridge (about 10 quid) and then bus from London Bridge (35,40,48) to Liverpool Street Station. That's the cheapest, easiest to navigate and most direct route...trains are about every 20 minute and buses are every 5 minutes...journeyplanner on Transport for London website will help.

(lived at London Bridge for 15 years and this route is tried and tested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HealthRoot

Hi,
    Could someone tell me which one is closest to the city centre, gatwick or heathrow?
    Thanks in advance
    Really sorry dear, i have no idea about this...?? that's why i can't share any information....

HealthRoot wrote: »
    Really sorry dear, i have no idea about this...?? that's why i can't share any information....

Bizzare first post. ^^^^^ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can anyone recommend any good, cheap hotels in Luton please?

All I need is something basic and something that is centrally located and if possible, not too far from Luton & Dunstable hospital.

Was looking at the Days hotel, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Can anyone recommend any good, cheap hotels in Luton please?

All I need is something basic and something that is centrally located and if possible, not too far from Luton & Dunstable hospital.

Was looking at the Days hotel, is it any good?

I stayed there about 4 years ago for the Luton marathon and it was adequate.

Change of plan - we are now going to stay in Edgware.

Can anyone recommend any hotels in Edgware that are good, but cheap? We need somewhere central too.

Thanks.

There really isn't much in Edgware in the line of hotels, (if any).
    Its really just an end stop for the Northern Line on the Tube with a small shopping mall (The Broadwalk) and a street full of Southern Fried Chicken take aways and pound shops.

There really is no such place as Central Edgware. A high street called Station Road, thats about it. Certainly not the place for a shopping or theatre trip to London.

Its also a poor place for getting to Luton (if thats what you need to do) unless you have a car.

Take it from me, Edgware is a forgetable place.
    I know - I spent a year of my life in it.

Lapin wrote: »
    There really isn't much in Edgware in the line of hotels, (if any).
    Its really just an end stop for the Northern Line on the Tube with a small shopping mall (The Broadwalk) and a street full of Southern Fried Chicken take aways and pound shops.

There really is no such place as Central Edgware. A high street called Station Road, thats about it. Certainly not the place for a shopping or theatre trip to London.

Its also a poor place for getting to Luton (if thats what you need to do) unless you have a car.

Take it from me, Edgware is a forgetable place.
    I know - I spent a year of my life in it.
    Ah I see thank you for your helpful response, I appreciate it.

I do need to be near Luton, so maybe we'll stay there.

Can you get into London city easily from Luton?

Unfortunately neither my boyfriend or I drive, so will be relying on public transport.

Can anyone recommend hotels in Luton, that aren't miles away from Luton & Dunstable hospital please?

Ah I see thank you for your helpful response, I appreciate it.

I do need to be near Luton, so maybe we'll stay there.

Can you get into London city easily from Luton?

Unfortunately neither my boyfriend or I drive, so will be relying on public transport.

Can anyone recommend hotels in Luton, that aren't miles away from Luton & Dunstable hospital please?

Fast and expensive train will take 25/30 minutes into London Kings Cross, and if you are taking up work at the hospital contact them because they can help

Stopper will be about 45/50 minutes

• Advertisement

Fast and expensive train will take 25/30 minutes into London Kings Cross, and if you are taking up work at the hospital contact them because they can help

Stopper will be about 45/50 minutes
    Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I am not taking up work with the hospital, a family member is ill, which why we are going over.

Would the national rail line or the tube be better to get in? I'm guessing the tube would be cheapest?

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I am not taking up work with the hospital, a family member is ill, which why we are going over.

Would the national rail line or the tube be better to get in? I'm guessing the tube would be cheapest?

You have to National Rail to get from London to Luton, better off staying in a Premier Inn/ Travelodge, bus service in Luton use to be OK

Would fill out the attached link and ask for their help , despite what you have heard I have met allot people over the last nine months committed to making the NHS work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Luton is a city north of London, so no tube.

There is a regular, very frequent railway service between Luton and London.

The line is known as Thameslink, connecting Bedford to Brighton, via Luton and London.

See www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk

There are loads of trains, say every 20 mins.

The main terminus in London is St. Pancras station, but many trains will continue through London and on to Gatwick and Brighton.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/static/pdf/network_route_map.pdf

This is a map of the FCC network, showing the Thameslink route north south from Bedford to Brighton.

This is a link to the timetables:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables/show-all/

Just curious has anybody been in Belgo restaurant near Covent Garden?

Would it be busy at 5-7pm on Fri evenings??

They have a Beat the Clock deal, i.e. order at 6:10pm, pay 6.10 stg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 herlipe1

Flying into Gatwich next weekend. Is there a train direct to Liverpool street?

herlipe1 wrote: »

No, easy directions is train to Victoria, and circle line to Liverpool street

No, easy directions is train to Victoria, and circle line to Liverpool street

Does anyone know what buses or tube you would get from Luton to Brent Cross Shopping Centre? Any idea how much it could/would cost?

• Advertisement

Take a train from Gatwick direct to City Thameslink. Turn left onto the platform when getting off the train, this will take you out at the Ludgate Hill exit. Outside on your right you'll see St Pauls Cathedral, about a 3 minute walk away. St Pauls tube station beside it is only 2 stops from Liverpool St on the Central Line eastbound.

I might be worth noting that a single journey on the Tube in Central London is £4.30 off peak. So it you only have to make the one trip from Thameslink to Liverpool Street, a taxi would work out about the same but much quicker. If you need make more than one journey an off peak One Day Travelcard for Central London gives you unlimeted travel on Tubes and Buses for £7.

If you're staying in London for more than a day its worth getting yourself an Oyster Card to get around.

Advertisement