Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

jjbrien wrote: »
    Anyone got any recomdations for a hotel in London that is not pricey? Want it fairly central.

Cannot recommend premier inn enough! I stayed in the Victoria one 2 weeks ago and it was excellent. The beds were so comfortable best nights sleep I had in a while. Walked everywhere. Even to oxford street. They are all fairly central. Tune hotels are cheap but I also seen they charge extra for toiletries and towels etc so be careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Tune hotels are cheap but I also seen they charge extra for toiletries and towels etc so be careful

They do but to be honest they're perfect for city centre hotels. How hard is it to throw your own toiletries into a bag, and a towel. We stayed in the one in Edinburgh for Hogmanay and it was at least 1/3 cheaper than any comparably located hotel. We booked early check in but didn't take any of the other extras. Brought our own towels & toiletries, didn't need tv or internet because we were out all the time. The extras are clearly laid out before booking/payment, all up front, nothing hidden. Almost like the Ryanair of hotels, just more honest about the charges.

I'm generally a 4-5 star hotel kinda gal (at 2-3 star prices) but was pleasantly surprised by the Tune. Will absolutely use other Tune Hotels in future, their London hotels are really well located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Can anyone recommend a good Indian restaurant in or around The Strand/Covent Garden area of London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Hi

Just wondering if anyone would recommend the best of the 3 Ryanair served airports in London (Luton, Stansted or Gatwick) to use for a cheap day trip from Dublin to London. I've been trying to work out which is the cheapest airport which I can get on into Central London from ?

My plan is to do a day trip on a weekday, taking a early morning flight - then get bus / train / coach into central London (somewhere like Oxford Street, Marble Arch, or anywhere on the central line. Then back to the airport in the early evening.

I'll also need to pay cash for any train or bus ticket, so I won't be able to book any of the on-line fares.

Would welcome any suggestions on which airport to use, esspecially from anyone that does the trip often. Thanks , Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

mikedublin wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone would recommend the best of the 3 Ryanair served airports in London (Luton, Stansted or Gatwick) to use for a cheap day trip from Dublin to London. I've been trying to work out which is the cheapest airport which I can get on into Central London from ?

My plan is to do a day trip on a weekday, taking a early morning flight - then get bus / train / coach into central London (somewhere like Oxford Street, Marble Arch, or anywhere on the central line. Then back to the airport in the early evening.

I'll also need to pay cash for any train or bus ticket, so I won't be able to book any of the on-line fares.

Would welcome any suggestions on which airport to use, esspecially from anyone that does the trip often. Thanks , Mike

I've never travelled to Luton but I've landed in Stanstead and heathrow a number of times and Gatwick once. Since you're short on time, I'd recommend the Stanstead route since its a quick (and comfortable) train, although it can get busy around rush hour. I think it's about 35-40 mins to central london. The only thing is that its quite expensive IMO at about £28/£30ish return or about £20 single if i remember correctly. There are usually stalls in Dublin airport selling the tickets a bit cheaper but you can usually get them a little cheaper again by buying them off the air crew onboard the Ryanair flight- listen out for the announcement onboard.

Taking all this into account, sometimes when you add £30 onto the ticket, its actually cheaper to fly to Heathrow and get the tube from there. The tube is much cheaper at only a few pounds e/w but takes about an hour (which is underground most of the way and can be very sweaty/boring/cramped esp at rush hour)

Like I said, I've only travelled to Gatwick once so I'm not sure on prices but I do remember being on a bus for well over an hour, and getting stuck in rush hour traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Garwick is 30-35 mins from London Bridge, Blackfruars or Vixtoria by Southern or Furst Capital Connect (express is unnecessarily costly and not the fastest). Day tickets (I recall) are much cheaper than Stanstead Express. Provided the flight times and prices are suitable, I would choose Gatwick unless you're going to East London (then Stanstead may be more attractive). A bus from Gatwick was a very bad idea for the prior poster - all factors (distance, type of roads, price) militate against that for Gatwick.

Luton is a long bus ride to central London and the airport train station is actually a bus ride away from the airport!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Gatwick is definitely your best bet, especially for the West End places you mentioned. It's only a half hour into Central London and you can get Anytime (walk up) fares for less than a tenner to London Bridge. Another reason not to get the Gatwick Express is that, at the time you'll be getting it in the morning, it'll be full of commuters coming from brighton so you won't even get a seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Saturday flights in to Heathrow cam be fairly cheap, So check out Aer Lingus and BA as well.

You have two option from Heathrow to Paddington, Heathrow express or Heathrow connect. The express is £18 and takes 15 minutes, the connect is around £8 and takes 25 minutes. You will have to check this, but you might be able to get the connect as part of a one day travel card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hi

Ryanair aren't always the cheapest, they generally are but you might find a good offer from Aer Lingus or BA.

Aer Lingus also fly into Southend usually for much less than their other "London" airports, depending on what price you've paid for the flight and the train from Southend, it could be an option.

If you go to www.skyscanner.ie and just type in London all airports you can then narrow it down by times and you might be surprised at the deals you can get. It could mean flying into one airport and out of another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hi

Connections from all airports into Central London will get you on to the Central Line within minutes.

There are cheaper bus options from from Stansted, Gatwick and Luton into town but they take longer and might not be feasable for a day trip if time is tight. Also, paying on the day will cost more than advance booking online and for the sake of an extra few shillings, the train is probably better value.

If Flying from Luton, note that trains serve Luton Airport Parkway station which is a couple of miles from the terminal building, so allow at least an extra half an hour to get from here to the check in desk. It is served by a regular shuttle bus which operated every ten minutes in each direction with a journey time of 5 minutes.

Below is a response I gave to to a similar question a few months ago.

Hope it helps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Petca4viewpost.gif
    Can anyone tell me what is the cheapest way to travel to London and return on the same day. Thanks

There is no copperfastened cheapest way.

It involves a bit of homework when booking flights to find what is cheapest on a given day although Ryanair usually win out, but not always.

The earlier you book in advance the better most of the time.

Don't limit your search to one airport or airline. You'll often find it might be cheaper to fly into Luton with Ryanair and use Gatwick with Aer Lingus or Ryanair for the return leg.

Don't forget to weigh up the costs of travelling from the airport into Central London. If an Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow costs €20 more than a Ryanair flight to anywhere, take it. The extra cost is cancelled out by savings made from travelling from Luton, Gatwick or Stansted.

I do this trip regularly (going this Friday) and find in most cases Ryanair to Luton works out marginally better, but Luton also suits me for the part of London I go to.

Flights to Heathrow and London City airport are always more expensive than the other 3 airports.

Aer Arann use Southend but I wouldn't find this practical for a day trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Of the Ryanair airports as other posters said Gatwick is the best. If you opt to fly into Stansted it takes 50 mins by train to get to central London and then the price of the standsted express can be more than the price you paid for your flight. 23.80 one way or 32.80 return. You can get a day return from gatwick for around 15 pounds with southern trains into Victoria only takes 1 min longer than the express train. I am going myself in 2 weeks and we got an advanced fare for 5 pounds each one way. Check out http://www.southernrailway.com/ Also only takes 30 mins as other posters has said. Luton I have only flown into once and i remeber having to take a bus to the railway station then a slow enough train into the city. My advise is go with Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I know questions like this have probably been posted a million times but here goes!

I'm looking to book flights for almost two weeks time from Dublin to Heathrow most likely as it is close to Maidenhead where I am going. I'm looking for an early flight in and a late flight home. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on what would be a good price to pay? I'm not sure myself as this is my first time booking for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I know questions like this have probably been posted a million times but here goes!

I'm looking to book flights for almost two weeks time from Dublin to Heathrow most likely as it is close to Maidenhead where I am going. I'm looking for an early flight in and a late flight home. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on what would be a good price to pay? I'm not sure myself as this is my first time booking for myself.

If you're going just for the day then Heathrow is the only sensible choice. Try Skyscanner to compare prices (it looks like only Aer Lingus and British Airways do Dublin-Heathrow): http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/dub/lhr/130420/130420/airfares-from-dublin-to-london-heathrow-in-april-2013.html

try http://www.tripsta.ie/ they show u the best option for flying ie aer lingus in and ba out

thanks for the input guys,

Does 160EUR (from skyscanner) for return with aer lingus sound about right to you? I only ask because I thought I should be able to get it a little cheaper. i'm going the 19th which is friday week

I checked the BA return times as suggested above but their times from heathrow-dublin do not suit me as they are too early.

thanks for the input guys,

Does 160EUR (from skyscanner) for return with aer lingus sound about right to you? I only ask because I thought I should be able to get it a little cheaper. i'm going the 19th which is friday week

I checked the BA return times as suggested above but their times from heathrow-dublin do not suit me as they are too early.

€160 is actually quite reasonable for a Friday.

€160 isn't too bad for a Friday, it is usually the most expensive day of the week.

How are you getting to maidenhead? A maidenhead cab will cost £25 each way, or you cam get the Heathrow connect to Hayes and change there for maidenhead trains.

Thanks guys, I guess i didnt know what to expect. Yes Maidenhead is where I'm going and I've been advised that taking a cab is the best idea.

Thanks guys, I guess i didnt know what to expect. Yes Maidenhead is where I'm going and I've been advised that taking a cab is the best idea.

Dont go to the taxi rank at Heathrow and get one, it will cost a fortune.

Try getting dot2dot taxis in maidenhead to collect you, or ring checker cars who are a Heathrow based companies.

Both companies have websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I'm looking for a good hostel around the Liverpool st station area anyone have recommendations? can't find anything decent in that area, would like to somewhere close as friends are staying in the tune hotel in the area which requires full prepayment where's I'm looking for a more budget option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Hi everyone, I would appreciate some help please.
    Thinking of visiting London for 3 days at the end of July with hubbie, no kids, we are in our 30's.
    Our interests are a West end musical, Natural museum of history, Madame Toussauds, London Eye, a snoop around Harrods, A Thames River boat tour, Buckingham Palace (maybe), London Bride & The Tower, Portrait Museum ( Supposed to be amazing?), Somewhere busy& nice cafes that wont break the bank to eat out in !
    I know that's a good lot of places! would appreciate any advice on
    1. What location to stay in? - so that we could get to these places easy& without too much hassle
    2. what website to book with? - I looked up Londontown website ( confusing) and Skyscanner- don't know what area to book under so no wonder I am confused still!
    3. to reduce time travelling from the airport to the city, I looked up Londoncity Airport... Airfrance 134e each return from Dublin. I am thinking by paying the little bit extra we would be directly in the city on arrival, thus saving on time spent travelling??? Also save some money on the express airport trains in from Heathrow/Gatwick??
    Any ideas and advice would be gratefully appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thinking of visiting London for 3 days at the end of July with hubbie, no kids, we are in our 30's.
    Our interests are a West end musical, Natural museum of history, Madame Toussauds, London Eye, a snoop around Harrods, A Thames River boat tour, Buckingham Palace (maybe), London Bride & The Tower, Portrait Museum ( Supposed to be amazing?), Somewhere busy& nice cafes that wont break the bank to eat out in !
    1. What location to stay in? - so that we could get to these places easy& without too much hassle
    2. what website to book with? - I looked up Londontown website ( confusing) and Skyscanner- don't know what area to book under so no wonder I am confused still!
    3. to reduce time travelling from the airport to the city, I looked up Londoncity Airport... Airfrance 134e each return from Dublin. I am thinking by paying the little bit extra we would be directly in the city on arrival, thus saving on time spent travelling??? Also save some money on the express airport trains in from Heathrow/Gatwick??

Tussaud's and the Eye are available on same ticket and can add on Aquarium, London Dungeon (now beside Eye) for little if any extra. Summer is crazy for Tssauds so try now to book and get "VIP" entrance. I hate cheesy things so had low expectations of Tussauds (16 years living in London before I went) but quite enjoyed it. Would hate to be there with a big crowd, though.

City s a lovely little airport, you'll need to change trains at Bank to get to the West End so time savings will relate to getting through the airport rather than train.

Think about what you want re Accom, slumming it, luxury, a good clean room, what std etc. do you want to be in the centre of it all (west end) and minimise travelling. Would ou benefit from a little kitchen (eg Citadines) so as not to spend so much on snacks/breakfast.

Re Musical - specific one or happy to pick up half price tickets for whatever's available?

Lets start with the airports.

€134 return is actually quite good for London City Airport. Flights to there often cost about that in each direction. You mightn't save a huge amount of time getting from there into The West End as you would from Heathrow, but getting through the terminal itself is a lot less hassle when arriving and departing. Its a good airline too with assigned seating and complimentary service in flight. I'd take that fare while its going and forget about the rest.

Now for the sights.

Madame Tussaud's is one of the most overpriced and over hyped tourist traps anywhere on the planet. Its a long time since I was there so maybe it has improved since, but I sill cannot understand why people will pay up to £30 and queue for ages to look at wax statues of celebrities, while real London is outside waiting to be explored.

The other attractions you mention are all worth seeing but some of them are very time consuming. (The Buckingham Palace State Room and Garden tour takes 3 and a half hours). Also at the time of year you are going there are likely to be queues for the Tower of London and Tower Bridge, (not to be confused with London bridge, a boring concrete structure 300 yards upstream).

Here is a reply I gave to a similar post some time back. -

It really depends on where your interests lie and how long you'll be staying as there is something for everyone in London and you'll never get to pack everything in over a weekend, or even a week.

One suggestion would be to begin with an open top bus tour when you get there. As they take in most of the famous sights, you can decide which ones you'd like to see more of as you pass them and visit them later. There are a number of companies offering these tours each with different packages so its worth shopping around to see which suits you the best.

Big Ben, The London Aquarium and the London Eye are all located close to each other and can be done in a couple of hours. Although its worth noting that there is no public access to Big Ben, (unless you can get an MP to show you around !) Even at this time of year The London Eye will be busy so be sure to get tickets in advance and turn up at least half an hour before your alloted time.

Tower Bridge is a good bit further downstream and the most scenic way to get there is by Riverbus from Westminster pier. The trip will take you past some of the best known landmarks in London.

I'd also recommend a few hours in South Kensington to take in the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum nextdoor, and if you have time, the V&A across the road. While in the area you should drop into the world famous Harrod's Department Store nearby. Even if you don't intend doing any shopping the place is well worth a look around.

On a different planet from Harrod's but only a short journey away by Tube is Camden Town. No young person on trip to London should come home without a mooch around the markets, shops, cafés and bars around here !

As I said, its hard to advise on where to go and what to see without knowing what you're into but Visit London is an excellent website to help you plan your trip. For listings of whats on when and where and how much, Time Out is your bible.

I don't know too much about hotels so maybe someone else can help out there.

One other thing, when buying tickets for any of the major attractions, book them direct with the museum, palace, etc.
    Middleman sights like Londontickets.ie and visitbritain.com charge their own commission.

Enjoy your trip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Many thanks Marcusm and Lapin for your wonderful advice- food for thought! Cheers!

I'm looking for a good hostel around the Liverpool st station area anyone have recommendations? can't find anything decent in that area, would like to somewhere close as friends are staying in the tune hotel in the area which requires full prepayment where's I'm looking for a more budget option.

The Dictionary Hostel in is close by in the trendy Shoreditch area.

Its a couple of bus stops from the Tune Hotel.

Your mates may be staying in Liverpool street but its unlikely you'll be doing much in the way of socialising or going out around there. Its in the heart of the banking district and becomes a fairly lifeless area in the evenings when all the office workers are gone.

If You're heading out in the West end, St Pauls YHA is a handy spot for getting the head down. Its well located and only two tube stops from Liverpool St.

Clink 78 hostel is only a couple of tube stops away in Kings Cross and is highly rated. Handy if you're heading out in Camden Town or over for an Arsenal game.

Enjoy your trip !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Many thanks Marcusm and Lapin for your wonderful advice- food for thought! Cheers!

I stayed here at Christmas time.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193063-Reviews-BEST_WESTERN_Mornington_Hotel-London_England.html

It's about 20 mins walk from Oxford Street and Lancaster Gate tube station is about a 2 minute walk around the corner. That's on the Central Line so there's access to nearly everywhere you listed in your post!

Rooms were a bit small but all individually air-conditioned and very comfortable.

i have stayed at the easyhotel in paddington the beds were small but it was ok for the money almost at hotel prices but you get your own room which can be valuable

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d1172086-Reviews-EasyHotel_Paddington_London-London_England.html

im staying here on Monday

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186338-d215296-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Hyde_Park-London_England.html

It worked out at 60 pounds a night which is very good as most cheap places charge for the extras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Wondering if anyone has any advice or experience.

If you were in London and needed to get home immediately, what's the best way to do it?

Somewhere like Dublin you can just turn up at the airport and try to get on the next flight, but London has 5 airports (or more?) so I'm guessing it would need a bit more planning?

A lot of the airlines and the online booking websites don't let you book for flights on the same day or within a certain amount of hours. So would you have to phone each individual airline? Would you need to choose which airport to go to? Would you be better off trawling online and on the phone, or would you be better off picking an airport and making your way there hoping for the best?

Any advice or experience greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Go to Heathrow and walk up to the Aer Lingus or BA desk with a credit card, they'll fly you home.

I just tried it online and you can book for today.

BA currently quoting £130 for the flight at 21:40 tonight

Aer Lingus quoting £194 for the 21:10 flight

So there is availability though if you leave it until you get to the airport it may cost a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Pick the airport closest to you of Gatwick, Stansted or Heathrow.
    Go there with a credit card.
    Get on a flight.
    There won't be a problem, there are so many flights from each of those three, you'll always get a seat.

Advertisement