Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Folks
    Will the train from Gatwick say St Pancras ?
    Will the tube from St Pancras say Wembley ?
    Will the tube from Wembley say St Pancras ?
    Will the train from St Pancras say Gatwick ?
    Sorry for asking loads of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

kenkin wrote: »
    Folks
    Will the train from Gatwick say St Pancras ?
    Will the tube from St Pancras say Wembley ?
    Will the tube from Wembley say St Pancras ?
    Will the train from St Pancras say Gatwick ?

Look at the departure boards at Gatwick - they will list the stations that the trains call at. You are looking for trains operated by Thameslink - just ask a member of staff if you're not sure. St Pancras is an intermediate station en route.

At St Pancras Underground follow the signs for westbound Metropolitan Line and take any Metropolitan line train. Do not board a Circle or Hammersmith & City Line train. Again Wembley Park is an intermediate station.

For the return trip get a Metropolitan Line train headed to Aldgate from Wembley Park. From St Pancras International you will need to look at the departure boards to see which train is headed for Gatwick Airport - the station is the Thameslink station within the main station complex.

This map will help!
    http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

There are full PIS systems on all trains with electronic signs and announcements for all stations. But no substitute for reading station signs yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Folks
    Will the train from Gatwick say St Pancras ? Bedford
    Will the tube from St Pancras say Wembley ? Go to Westbound Metropolitan/Circle/Hammersmith & City Line platform, take any Metropolitan Line train: Amersham, Chesham, Watford or Uxbridge
    Will the tube from Wembley say St Pancras ? Metropolitan Line Eastbound: Aldgate
    Will the train from St Pancras say Gatwick ? Brighton or Three Bridges

Those are the usual service pattern terminus locations, others can occasionally be used. As said above look at the departure boards to confirm.

Instead of St. Pancras I would suggest you change at Farringdon instead in both directions. The interchange there is much closer as the platforms are adjacent each other, at St Pancras you will have to walk through the main station shopping area to get to the Underground station.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Those are the usual service pattern terminus locations, others can occasionally be used. As said above look at the departure boards to confirm.

Instead of St. Pancras I would suggest you change at Farringdon instead in both directions. The interchange there is much closer as the platforms are adjacent each other, at St Pancras you will have to walk through the main station shopping area to get to the Underground station.

Good point re Farringdon!

Thanks everybody for all your help. You have been brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I know there is a huge amount of info here but it will take time to go through it.

Myself and the other half arrive into London city airport about 9am, this Friday and leave about 9pm this Sunday. We will do general London travel, staying in Brick Lane and moving at random around the city.

Briefly, is there any particular card or way of paying for two adults moving about.

Many thanks in advance.

Scousemouse

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Hi Scousemouse,

Just pick up an Oyster card each, top up by £20/30 and away you go. The system works out the cheapest fare each time and will cap you at a certain amount so you don't have to calculate anything. Then topup if you need to as the weekend goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Or alternatively just use contactless debit cards!

Marcusm wrote: »
    Or alternatively just use contactless debit cards!

I thought of that but would it not attract loads of fees using an irish debit card like that?

I think it goes through as a single transaction at the end of each day. I wiuldn't have expected any significant fee or hassle.

• Advertisement

Just returned and had no problems whatsoever and thats because of the help i received here. The girl on the London Underground stand advised us to use contactless to get around which we did. I have a charge for the first day on my account and there are no fees etc. Once again many thanks to all

An edit to my previous post. There is a debit card fee for each trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

An edit to my previous post. There is a debit card fee for each trip.

You sure? I was over recently and all of each day's usage (capped) definitely went through as one single charge.

Possitive. I was charged a debit card charge of 0.46 cents for each day.
    No big deal I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No big deal I know.

So then it's a charge per day rather than per trip which is what you said.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I got back last night and used two separate debit cards for traveling around. We started using them on Friday morning and as of right now, Monday afternoon, no charges have appeared whatsoever on either card. One is AIB visa debit and the other is Ulster visa debit.

I will update when it happens.

I only did 1 trip per day. Gatwick to Wembley return. The fare was 10.40stg each way and I was charged €12.07 each way plus 0.46 each way debit card charge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No big deal I know.

Ah, thought you meant you were charged separately for each tube trip.

So, just got my charges through. One card was ulster bank visa debit, the wife's was AIB visa debit. Slight difference in the totals even though the cards were used side by side. Not to bad I think for 3 days in London.

Ulster Bank
    -€3.85
    -€8.27
    -€9.58

AIB
    2.80 GBP@
    VDC-TFL.GOV.UK/CP -7.90
    6.50 GBP@
    VDC-TFL.GOV.UK/CP -9.23

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

Has anyone got an idea on how long it takes to get through stansted aiport to catch a connecting flight (ryanair) ? a saturday in mid january...checked in online and only hand luggage...i know it says 2 hrs. however the times are tight 1hr 20 between touch down and take off...both within the eu...is there any chance of catching it ?

• Advertisement

just being reading the reviews about the airport, not good !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

cambasque wrote: »
    Has anyone got an idea on how long it takes to get through stansted aiport to catch a connecting flight (ryanair) ? a saturday in mid january...checked in online and only hand luggage...i know it says 2 hrs. however the times are tight 1hr 20 between touch down and take off...both within the eu...is there any chance of catching it ?

You should be fine. Stansted isn't bad at all, security actually moves along nicely, despite the usual large lines!

i hope so , thanks, was thinking of biting the bullet and booking a later flight...i misread the original time my flight going out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Folks, what is the cheapest option to get from Stansted to the City and back? thanks :D

Folks, what is the cheapest option to get from Stansted to the City and back? thanks :D

Train fares (To Liverpool Street Station):
    Anytime Return - £28
    Off-peak Day Return - £18

You can get single fares booked at www.stanstedexpress.com from £8 if booked in advance.

Stansted Citylink Coach Fares: Return - £18 (To St Pancras Station)
    www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk

National Express Coach Fares: Return - £16 (To Liverpool Street Station) - there may be cheaper advance fares online
    www.nationalexpress.com

lxflyer wrote: »
    Train fares (To Liverpool Street Station):
    Anytime Return - £28
    Off-peak Day Return - £18

You can get single fares booked at www.stanstedexpress.com from £8 if booked in advance.

Stansted Citylink Coach Fares: Return - £18 (To St Pancras Station)
    www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk

National Express Coach Fares: Return - £16 (To Liverpool Street Station) - there may be cheaper advance fares online
    www.nationalexpress.com

Also: Airport Bus Express

https://www.airportbusexpress.co.uk/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Has anybody recently arrived in T2 Heathrow and transferred to T4? I have had flight times change giving me 1h55m gap between flights. I am due to land on an Aer Lingus flight at 8:05am and need to get a Malaysian Airways flight at 10am from T4.

The heathrow site is confusing, in some places it saying I need to get a bus, others a train. Do I have to go through immigration and baggage checks again?

masterK wrote: »
    Has anybody recently arrived in T2 Heathrow and transferred to T4? I have had flight times change giving me 1h55m gap between flights. I am due to land on an Aer Lingus flight at 8:05am and need to get a Malaysian Airways flight at 10am from T4.

The heathrow site is confusing, in some places it saying I need to get a bus, others a train. Do I have to go through immigration and baggage checks again?

Is it a through booking on one ticket or did you book the legs separately? If separate then it will be very tight as you will have to retrieve your checked bags, exit airside, go to T4, check-in bags, go through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Is it a through booking on one ticket or did you book the legs separately? If separate then it will be very tight as you will have to retrieve your checked bags, exit airside, go to T4, check-in bags, go through security.

It's all the one ticket so the bags will be checked through.

• Advertisement

masterK wrote: »
    It's all the one ticket so the bags will be checked through.

Take the airside bus from T2 to T4 and go through flight connections/security screening in T4. No sense in going landslide as the transport is more complex.

Advertisement