Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You'd definitely make the 1230 flight getting the first flight out from Dublin. I'd usually do that, but there might be benefit to flying over the night before, getting an airport hotel room in Gatwick, getting a good night's sleep before the long haul rather than trying to get to sleep at 9pm to get up at 4am to get an early bus or drive to airport for a 6am flight.
    Do you sleep on planes? Do you have anything planned soon after arrival in the long-haul destination?
    If cost of Gatwick hotel wasn't too much it might be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

We stayed in the Bloc in Gatwick found it very comfortable and had a great nights sleep, no noise. Lovely waking up and walking onto a plane no hassle getting to the airport.

We stayed in a room with a window but would be happy enough to stay in one without.

I'd imagine it's cheaper than a Dublin hotel
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

hi all,
    Im looking recommendations for restaurants in London this weekend. We arrive in our hotel in holborn area around 7.30 on friday night and staying for three nights. We havent got anything booked as its a last min thing as my wife has been caring for her mam since christmas and needs a break for a few days. I want to make it a bit special but am restricted to a bit of a budget so 'fine dining' in an expensive restaurant is out. As i say any recommendations in or around Holborn for the friday night and then elsewhere for the Saturday and Sunday would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

Holborn Dining Room and Brasserie Zedel are two places that look the part but don't break the bank in central London. Other places include Flatiron (steak) and Belgo Centraal. There's also loads of great places around Covent Garden. If it's not too late, I'd try and get a booking to the Sky Garden on top of the Walkie Talkie building. The views are great and it's free, but it's advisable to book rather than show up at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Flying into London with the OH for four days. Surprisingly it's the first time I have been beyond Heathrow, and was just wondering what are the museums I simply must visit, considering I most likely have a day to myself? Or are they worth doing at all?

Have the Imperial War Museum ear-marked, and the Natural History Museum is just down the road from the hotel so definitely plan to pay a visit there too.

Any other hidden gems?*

*The "usual" attractions are on the list too while I am there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The Museum of London and the Science Museum are well worth visiting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Science Museum as mentioned, though you could easily spend a couple of days there poking things - very interactive.

Lots of smaller museums here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/Londons-most-unusual-museums-50-of-the-best-part-one/

I very much enjoyed the Museum of Brands but it's all a matter of taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭thebiglad

British Museum definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A.*

*Only really relevant if you're a Pink Floyd fan. Probably best give it a miss if you're not...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

National Gallery, too !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

It probably doesn't count as a hidden gem but the Victoria and Albert is unmissable in my book. I wasn't even planning to visit but we were going along the underground walkway that connects Kensington and alot of the museums and stumbled across the little entrance. I was totally gob-smacked. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

+1 the British museum, it has such a range of stuff and the central covered courtyard is impressive. I always try to visit when I'm in London.
    The natural history museum and the V&A are worth a visit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Never been here, but plan to get to it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 alexw

Churchill's war rooms are absolutely fantastic if you're a history buff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

alexw wrote: »
    Churchill's war rooms are absolutely fantastic if you're a history buff

Definitely a history buff.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Have narrowed it down to the V and A and British Museum (to add to IWM and NHM). Reckon I could do the Churchill War Rooms together with the IWM?

While not exactly a art connoisseur, would contemplate the National Gallery too (if only for the chance of seeing all the world-renowned artists)

Christ I won't be stuck for things to do by the sounds of it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check out special exhibitions. It might be worth visiting somewhere just to see an exhibition, not visit the whole place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Hope this is the right forum for this . Basically I'm going to London for a few days and I'm wondering what would people consider the better & cheaper option , buying Sterling here or just using ATMs over there ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Get a Revolut card

Prepaid mastercard, load it up before you go and you'll get interbank rates and zero commission

Big thread on it here

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

maximoose wrote: »
    Get a Revolut card

Prepaid mastercard, load it up before you go and you'll get interbank rates and zero commission

Big thread on it here

100% agree. The days of dodgy exchange rates are over. Revolut all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Got my Revolut a few months back and used it in London recently. It's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Definitely a history buff.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Have narrowed it down to the V and A and British Museum (to add to IWM and NHM). Reckon I could do the Churchill War Rooms together with the IWM?

While not exactly a art connoisseur, would contemplate the National Gallery too (if only for the chance of seeing all the world-renowned artists)

Christ I won't be stuck for things to do by the sounds of it :D
    I think it really depends on what you're in to. I personally wasn't that big a fan of the British Museum, but then I am not a fan of ancient history of which there is a lot. I found the V&A much more interesting, but again, that's just a personal preference. They are free, so you could pop in for an hour and see the highlights. I enjoyed the NHM the first time I went, but I went again recently and you couldn't move for school tours and kids everywhere (I think it was the last day of school before the February half term so maybe there was more school tours than normal) I would recommend getting there at opening if you are going. I definitely would try and fit in the National Gallery if you're passing Trafalgar Square, it's really wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FR flight landing in LGW at 2055, safe to book a train leaving 2140? Haven't been through Gatwick since I was a child. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ED E wrote: »
    FR flight landing in LGW at 2055, safe to book a train leaving 2140? Haven't been through Gatwick since I was a child. Ta.

Ticket to where? Most likely whatever ticket you are looking at is not restricted to a specific train and may not be any cheaper bought in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ED E wrote: »

Assuming you're going into London, then pick either a Thameslink operated service (serves Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and St Pancras) or a Southern operated service (serves London Victoria). No advantage to buying tickets in advance.

Avoid Gatwick Express at all costs.

Get an Oyster Card - single fare is £8.10 to Zone 1 London Rail Stations.

That is the cheapest single ticket option (except at weekends when Thameslink have a Super Off-Peak single for £8).

Alternatively use your contactless bank card if you have one instead of buying an Oyster card.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless

You should be through the airport in that time - just bear in mind that for all Irish arrivals, passengers are bussed to a dedicated CTA arrivals area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

couple of questions
    any deals or offers currently running for attractions in london like tussauds museum, london eye, or even hop in hop off bus?
    tried online found none.

to goto stansted airport, is stansted express the best option from london?
    can we buy oyster card in london city airport and return it in stansted airport for a refund?

couple of questions
    any deals or offers currently running for attractions in london like tussauds museum, london eye, or even hop in hop off bus?
    tried online found none.

to goto stansted airport, is stansted express the best option from london?
    can we buy oyster card in london city airport and return it in stansted airport for a refund?

As far as rail is concerned - Stansted Express is the only option. Buy online in advance for single fares from ?8 (as opposed to ?16.60 on the day in the station).

Website is here:
    https://www.stanstedexpress.com/

There are cheaper coach options - more information here:

National Express:
    http://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/stansted-airport.aspx

Citylink:
    https://www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk/

With Oyster you can buy a card, but it is not valid on the Stansted Express so you would need to cancel in London.

Alternatively use your contactless bank card instead of buying an Oyster Card if you have one.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ticket to where? Most likely whatever ticket you are looking at is not restricted to a specific train and may not be any cheaper bought in advance.

Connecting with the tube at Blackfriars. Trainline were offering it for ?8.70.
    lxflyer wrote: »
    Assuming you're going into London, then pick either a Thameslink operated service (serves Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon and St Pancras) or a Southern operated service (serves London Victoria). No advantage to buying tickets in advance.

Avoid Gatwick Express at all costs.

Get an Oyster Card - single fare is ?8.10 to Zone 1 London Rail Stations.

That is the cheapest single ticket option (except at weekends when Thameslink have a Super Off-Peak single for ?8).

Alternatively use your contactless bank card if you have one instead of buying an Oyster card.

You should be through the airport in that time - just bear in mind that for all Irish arrivals, passengers are bussed to a dedicated CTA arrivals area.

Used my Visa Debit previously along with an Oyster but I wasnt aware that those trains were included in that scheme. Saturday night but the 10p wont break the bank.

The OH stole my oyster so safe to just bank on the contactless until I get to a new one? Thanks for the input lads.

Just as an FYI - Never ever use the Trainline - it charges extra.

Use any of the train operating companies' own websites - they never charge extra.

Oyster was only extended to Gatwick last year.

Goldmine of info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Will be travelling through Stansted on a Saturday morning in a couple of weeks with a 2 hour connection time between 2 ryanair flights.
    I understand you can buy fast track last-minute if there's a huge difference between the queues...
    Just wondering if anyone has found this helpful in guaranteeing making a connecting flight on time?
    (My return trip a week later, also a Saturday, will involve passing through the airport at around 6pm with a 110 minute connection time)

And yes I'm aware of how these connection times are ultra-dependent on flights running on schedule etc.!!
    All I'm curious about is hearing from anyone who has any experience of Stansted's fast track particularly in relation to Ryanair connections?

Advertisement