Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 johnbaz72

I'm going to London for 3 days in mid December and am trying to book a decent enough hotel for a reasonable amount of money. I appear to have a great deal from a website called Roomex but have never used that website before.
    Has anyone used Roomex, and if so can you let me know how you got on?
    I have used websites like Laterooms, Hotels.com etc before without problems, but this almost seems too good to be true...
    Thanks,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭makker

Stumbled across your thread by accident.

Have never booked through the site myself, but I know the one of the two lads well who setup and runs the company and he's a stand up citizen.

Probably not much help to you but though I'd get the thread rolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

Hey dudes,

4 girls lookin for a 2 bed apartment during a 2 night stay in London next Feb - any suggestions?? I'm after looking through lastminute.ie and ebookers.ie but they mostly deal in hotels and the few apartments seem a good bit outside the city.

I found a few websites for apartments but the city centre ones are chronically expensive!! Surely there must be something available that is central and wont break the bank? Budget is €250 per night (between the 4 of us).

Cheers in advance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BRENNANGAFF

HI MYSELF WIFE AND 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ARE HEADING TO LONDON FOR 5 DAYS.STARTING FROM STANSTEAD AIRPORT, WHAT IS THE BEST TICKET FOR TRANSPORT IN LONDON FOR THAT PEROID.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Where are you staying in London?

What do you plan to see?

Weekly one & two travel card is about 25 for an adults and covers the center of London

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BRENNANGAFF

I HOPE TO STAY IN JURYS INN ISLINGTON, AND DO SOME SHOPPING ,MARKETS AND TAKE IN A SHOW, AND EAT IN NICE PLACES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

vixenbees wrote: »
    Hey dudes,

4 girls lookin for a 2 bed apartment during a 2 night stay in London next Feb - any suggestions?? I'm after looking through lastminute.ie and ebookers.ie but they mostly deal in hotels and the few apartments seem a good bit outside the city.

I found a few websites for apartments but the city centre ones are chronically expensive!! Surely there must be something available that is central and wont break the bank? Budget is €250 per night (between the 4 of us).

Cheers in advance :D

I travel to London a lot and I think you are going to struggle to find what you are looking for in Central London especially for 2 nights. Apartments are common in the city centres in the US but have not yet caught on in the Uk.

http://www.london.hotelsoffer.com/index.php

This website should help you find a decent hotel at a reasonable price.

Another place I have stayed is The Adria Hotel in Hammersmith which is cheap and cheerful and well located for Central London.

Then get a zone one and two weekly travel card which will cover you on the bus and tube

19 & 38 bus will take you into the west end, the 205 will take you to Madame Tussards and the

Angel tube station is in walking distance

When you come in from Stanstead get off at Tottenham hale and take the tube to Kings cross you are 3 minutes by taxi to Jurys then

Places like Camden market will be outside zones 1 & 2

In any case buy a tube map and remember when on the tube escalators

STAND ON THE ****ING RIGHT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

HI MYSELF WIFE AND 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ARE HEADING TO LONDON FOR 5 DAYS.STARTING FROM STANSTEAD AIRPORT, WHAT IS THE BEST TICKET FOR TRANSPORT IN LONDON FOR THAT PEROID.
    I HOPE TO STAY IN JURYS INN ISLINGTON, AND DO SOME SHOPPING ,MARKETS AND TAKE IN A SHOW, AND EAT IN NICE PLACES

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Caps-Lock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm travelling to London in a few weeks and have decided for various reasons to bring my own car. So my plan right now is to drive to somewhere close to London, as I don't fancy the idea of driving in Central London. Ideally, my final port of call would be a nice hotel close to a train station that would get me into say Victoria station in 30 mins.

I know this probably covers about 50 different places, but I'm just not sure where to start. How do I determine where is about 30mins by train from London? I tried the National Rail site, but it's not really suitable for this sort of search. Of course, I'd also like to avoid going to an area that's 30mins from London but is also, I dunno, murder town.

I'm just looking for some nice areas close enough to London to travel there each day of my trip, but far enough away that finding a nice hotel, and getting there without going completely bald is doable.

(PS: Looking around, 30mins might be optimistic, looks like I'd be still stuck in the city at that range, so maybe 60mins?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Look first at the congestion charge zone; there are loads of nice areas around it e.g., Kensington, Knightsbridge, Park Lane, etc., . . If you are not bothered by the congestion charge then just drive straight into Mayfair from the motorway, assuming you have a satnav. TBH, your best bet to be within shouting distance of everywhere is somewhere along the Park Lane side of the congestion charge zone.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Look first at the congestion charge zone; there are loads of nice areas around it e.g., Kensington, Knightsbridge, Park Lane, etc., . . If you are not bothered by the congestion charge then just drive straight into Mayfair from the motorway, assuming you have a satnav. TBH, your best bet to be within shouting distance of everywhere is somewhere along the Park Lane side of the congestion charge zone.

According to this, that whole area is slap bang in the middle of the congestion charge zone? I'd have to go as far west as say Shepherds Bush to avoid it? On top of that, I'd still be driving in London city somewhat.

I wasn't planning on getting a satnav, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'll have to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I have a day to myself in london the week after next. Going to be travelling from Wimbeldon into the city, and I am wondering what to do to pass the day on my own. I will be spending a few hours in the Imperial War Museum(which i visited befiore and i bloody love) but i dont know what to do for the rest of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm travelling to London in a few weeks and have decided for various reasons to bring my own car. So my plan right now is to drive to somewhere close to London, as I don't fancy the idea of driving in Central London. Ideally, my final port of call would be a nice hotel close to a train station that would get me into say Victoria station in 30 mins.

I know this probably covers about 50 different places, but I'm just not sure where to start. How do I determine where is about 30mins by train from London? I tried the National Rail site, but it's not really suitable for this sort of search. Of course, I'd also like to avoid going to an area that's 30mins from London but is also, I dunno, murder town.

I'm just looking for some nice areas close enough to London to travel there each day of my trip, but far enough away that finding a nice hotel, and getting there without going completely bald is doable.

(PS: Looking around, 30mins might be optimistic, looks like I'd be still stuck in the city at that range, so maybe 60mins?)

If you want to stay in the city, then Islington is a decent option (Angel Tube station area). It's right on the brink of the congestion zone. There's a decent Jury's Inn about a minute from Angel.

If getting to Victoria station is top priorty then the best place to stay is somewhere in the region of Putney/Clapham (Clapham is about 5-10 minute drive from Putney). You can drive into the city via Fulham or Barnes then onto Hammersmith and be in Sheperds Bush in about 15-20 minutes. You can go via White City area to North London (Islington) or direct into Kensington (about 25 minutes from Putney driving).

You can get an overground train (2-3 minutes to Clapham Junction where you change to get a train to Victoria (4-5 minutes). Every train stops at Clapham Junction.

I say this area as it's easy to access to the South and that answers another of your questions about where you spend your day trips. Brighton is a great place, you can drive, or take the train, again you make your way to Clapham junction for the train.

If driving, all around the south-coast is nice. Brighton - Worthing - Arundel - Bognor Regis - Chichester (Hayling Island) - Portsmouth - Southampton then take the M3 back to London. From Chichester/Bognor Regis/Worthing area Gatwick airport is only 40 minutes away.

You could base yourself around Gatwick airport either - Crawley - Horley - Three Bridges. Victoria is only 25 minutes by train from Gatwick.

Need any further info just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What crossing are you doing? if you are going from Rosslare, then windsor would be good. There are two stations in Windsor, From the roverside it is about 55 mins to Waterloo, from the central station it is 5 minutes to Slough and then about 25 minutes to Paddington.

The Travel Lodge Windsor is right next to the Central Station (and only a five minute walk from Riverside).

The great thing though, is that Windsor is just off the M4, so it is fairly straight forward getting there from Fishguard or Pembroke

In_tuition wrote: »
    You could base yourself around Gatwick airport either - Crawley - Horley - Three Bridges. Victoria is only 25 minutes by train from Gatwick.
    What crossing are you doing? if you are going from Rosslare, then windsor would be good.

Thanks both, I'll take a look at Windsor and Gatwick. I had considered the likes of Heathrow, etc as there would be hotels aplenty and a direct link, but not Gatwick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thanks both, I'll take a look at Windsor and Gatwick. I had considered the likes of Heathrow, etc as there would be hotels aplenty and a direct link, but not Gatwick.

The trouble with heathrow is that if you fancy ventruing out of the hotel, there is nothing there other than more hotels and an airport (Slight exageration, but you get the idea).

Reading would be a good shout, that is 20 minutes from Paddington by train, but not the most exciting place in the world and you really need to stay in the right area, the wrong parts of Reading are pretty rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Hi, Im am thinking of attending an event in the o2 brixton academy. Has anyone been there before? Just wondering whats the best airport to fly into and suggestions on areas/places to stay.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Gatwick would strike me as the obvious choice - train directly to Victoria station, and Brixton is only a few stops on the Underground from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Im going to london on thursday, flying into stansted, i was thrifting through this thread and thought i read on one of the pages you can buy a return rail ticket on Ryanair flight which is who im travelling with? also how much does this cost? im heading for west london any specific route to take?

thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

scruff321 wrote: »
    Im going to london on thursday, flying into stansted, i was thrifting through this thread and thought i read on one of the pages you can buy a return rail ticket on Ryanair flight which is who im travelling with? also how much does this cost? im heading for west london any specific route to take?

thanks..

Where in West London?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Where in West London?

Lechmare road NW2 is were i want to go, my friend said the tube is near Willsden Green??:confused:

Lechmare road NW2 is were i want to go, my friend said the tube is near Willsden Green??:confused:

Stansted Express comes into Liverpool Street from there

Take the Metropolitan Line from Liverpool Street to Finchley Road, get off at Finchley Road and on the same platform there will be a Jubilee line tube to Wilsden Green

thanks who the fug

whats the cheapest way to get to london? i was looking at the express service and its £28 return, bit expensive any alternatives?

whats the cheapest way to get to london? i was looking at the express service and its £28 return, bit expensive any alternatives?

have you booked your flights already, might be cheaper flying into Heathrow with bmi or Aer Lingus.

If not you could take a coach from Stanstead to Baker street and then jump on the Jubilee line to Wilsden Green.

http://www.stanstedairport.com/portal/page/Stansted%5EGeneral%5ETo+and+from+Stansted%5EBuses+and+coaches/b564e37e8077d110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

yeah booked, im going tomorrow, i can get the tube from baker st to Willsden Green?

yeah booked, im going tomorrow, i can get the tube from baker st to Willsden Green?

Yes from Baker Street take the Jubilee line(GREY LINE) 6 Stops

In below map Baker Street is grid refernce B4 ish
    Wilsdon Green is grid reference B 3.5

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Appreciate it OPENROAD ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right looking for a little help nailing the specifics of a trip down but here is the story; flying into Stansted on Tuesday morning, should be in London Liverpool St by 10am and then the short tube hop to London Bridge where we're staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge for too nights back on Thursday flying mid afternoon from Gatwick so should have the morning free up to 12pm. It gives us pretty much all day Tuesday and Wednesday and then Thursday morning.

What I'm asking here is what/how much should I try to fit in? It's the Gf's first time there and I've a few idea's already; Grease at the West End, Tower of London and basically the bus tour for the rest. She wants to go shopping too so I'm guessing Oxford St will have to hit at some stage. Any other idea's?

And lastly; we're students so cash will be tight'ish - any good cheapie eats in the city?

Cheers! :)

Advertisement