Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Morby wrote: »
    So I'm heading to London this weekend and planning to see a few sights and tourist attractions.

I'm planning doing the London Eye, London Dungeons, Madame Tussauds, Sea Life and Shrek Adventures are they all appear to be located fairly near each other.

Is it madness to try and do 4/5 attractions in one day? Is it even possible with queuing etc?

Anyone know where to get the best deals on tickets? I presume booking online in advance will be better than getting them on the day?

Any must sees? Anything in particular I should make time to go see and do?
    Apart from Madame Tussaud's, these are all located at or in County Hall on the South Bank opposite Westminster and beside Waterloo. Mme Tussaud's is a short trip away by Jubilee Line from either of these stations to Baker St. All of the attractions you've listed are owned by Merlin Entertainments and can be bought as a package with other tours and events. A VIP or jump the queue option is often worth buying at peak times or when on a short trip. If the weather is clear, the London Eye is a great way of seeing how large Like neon is and trying to identify the landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The problem with doing all those things is that you are not going to have time to see London.

You could be anywhere once you are inside the Aquarium or Madame Taussads.

I think you should spend your time actually seeing the city and the famous buildings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Go to the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and get reduced price tickets for the West End.

Or queue for day seats at selected theatres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Madame Tussaud's is Sh*t, london aquarium is appalling, and london zoo is absolute rubbish (bar the penguin enclosure which is great), and all are ridulously expensive. Dublin zoo is amazing in comparison and a third of the price

there, i said it! saved you money :D

Museums in London are amazing and free! the sky garden is also free for great views.

if you want to pay for something, then tower of London is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Bring your walking shoes and see as much of London as you can, don't bother with any typical tourist attractions like the dungeons et. al though go and see Trafalgar Square if you must!

testicles wrote: »
    Would you not get done on transaction/currency fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Would you not get done on transaction/currency fees?

All of the day's travel gets taken out in one transaction at the end of each day.

Personally I still prefer using a separate Oyster card but that's just me.

lxflyer wrote: »
    All of the day's travel gets taken out in one transaction at the end of each day.

4 days, talking a tenner. I'll stick with me Oyster. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

was in london earlier this month but only a saw a handful of stuff only had 1 day too look around the city centre as we were going to a concert in London Stadium and staying in the east ham area.

only attraction i visited was Madam Tussauds and i did enjoy it esp the 4D movie and the spirit of london ride but i was dissapointed that a few wax models were not there eg a few notable UK and international musicans were missing eg Mick Jagger, Ozzy Osbourne etc, there should of been a british tv section with characters from Only Fools and Horses, black ader, maybe the royle family, faulty towers etc.

You really need about 3/4 days too see everything in london, very happy i saw the city though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

lxflyer wrote: »

It's nowhere near a tenner for 4 days. The transaction charges are less than 2% of the transaction if you're using contactless and your daily cap on the tube in zone 1/2 is £6.30 or something, so you're talking pence daily. I just found it handier to use my contactless card as I knew I would be tight for time on my return flight and wouldn't get a chance to redeem the £5 deposit for the oyster at the airport. Plus you don't have to worry about topping up too much/too little if you're just using your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

testicles wrote: »

....and get absolutely rode on fees for every transaction? Crazy suggestion

Only if your bank account is in GBP would I recommend this.

callaway92 wrote: »
    ....and get absolutely rode on fees for every transaction? Crazy suggestion

Only if your bank account is in GBP would I recommend this.

It comes out as one transaction per day. The cap on the tube is £6.30 per day, so you're talking pence per day transaction fees.

ncmc wrote: »
    It comes out as one transaction per day. The cap on the tube is £6.30 per day, so you're talking pence per day transaction fees.

But you're getting charged per transaction in a different currency. It adds up

But you're getting charged per transaction in a different currency. It adds up

It's a really small amount though. Bearing in mind that you have to pay a £5 deposit for the oyster (which is refundable granted) and then claim back any unused balance, I'd pay the small transaction fee not to have to deal with the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Yup. I've definitely come home after weekends cursing myself for using the AIB Contactless Card so much for other stuff over there.

Thinking about it. Does the tube even accept EUR contactless cards? I remember trying it once and it didn't work (AIB to be specific), so used Natwest card instead.

Yup. I've definitely come home after weekends cursing myself for using the AIB Contactless Card so much for other stuff over there.

Thinking about it. Does the tube even accept EUR contactless cards? I remember trying it once and it didn't work (AIB to be specific), so used Natwest card instead.
    Yes it does. My husband used AIB card and I used BOI with no issues in February. Can't remember the exact charges now, but don't think it was even as much as 50c per day for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

As stated before TfL do not process contactless cards when presented, only a check for validity and a blacklist check are done, real-time fund deduction would be too slow for tube gatelines and buses.

All daily uses are collated centrally and charged to your bank as one transaction so whatever fee they charge is applied once for each day used.

The fees depend on individual banks of course, for anyone wanting to use cards/contactless overseas the likes of revolut.com are an excellent way of cutting out transaction fees and poor exchange rates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Just to remind people that Revolut put a hold of £10 on the first tap. Then after a couple of days you get charged for the journeys followed by the £10 hold released.

http://news.revolut.com/post/146212645837/touch-it-tap-it-rev-it-welcome-to-revolut

Vic_08 wrote: »
    As stated before TfL do not process contactless cards when presented, only a check for validity and a blacklist check are done, real-time fund deduction would be too slow for tube gatelines and buses.

All daily uses are collated centrally and charged to your bank as one transaction so whatever fee they charge is applied once for each day used.

The fees depend on individual banks of course, for anyone wanting to use cards/contactless overseas the likes of revolut.com are an excellent way of cutting out transaction fees and poor exchange rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Has anyone used a PTSB visa debit contactless card to travel on the tube etc in the same manner as using an oyster card?
    I called PTSB and the said that it would probably work but couldn't guarantee it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

On the website they state "Some Visa and V PAY contactless payment cards from countries issued outside the UK are not accepted."

I was hoping that someone could confirm that they have uses a PTSB visa debit card in the manner of an oyster card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I didn't try the tube, but GF and I did try PTSB contactless visa on the bus and it wasn't accepted. This was last summer though, things may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Looking for some help from you folks.

Flying to Gatwick Monday 14th August, coming back Thursday 17th , myself and my 17 year old going on a mini break.
    Can you recommend please what you reckon is the best way to and from Gatwick,(Gatwick express appears to be a complete rip off), anywhere for recommendations to stay ( budget around 100 quid a night ) , looking to visit the city centre tourist spots, a tour of Wembley stadium, a possible trip to see Millwall FC play on the Tuesday night.

Been reading this thread and various other forums and the panic is setting in :D , about where to book, where to travel, tubes to take etc !

Really appreciate any help or pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Looking for some help from you folks.

Flying to Gatwick Monday 14th August, coming back Thursday 17th , myself and my 17 year old going on a mini break.
    Can you recommend please what you reckon is the best way to and from Gatwick,(Gatwick express appears to be a complete rip off), anywhere for recommendations to stay ( budget around 100 quid a night ) , looking to visit the city centre tourist spots, a tour of Wembley stadium, a possible trip to see Millwall FC play on the Tuesday night.

Been reading this thread and various other forums and the panic is setting in :D , about where to book, where to travel, tubes to take etc !

Really appreciate any help or pointers.

Take the regular train into town. Think it's called "great western"...cheap accommodation would be airbnb, travelodge or some of the other budget chains.

I can get a good hotel rate for the Ibis hotel, Whitechapel, Brick lane.

Any give me any pointers please if this is good bad or different for getting myself there and using it as my base for the 3-4 days we are there.
    It seems central enough from what I can make out ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Any give me any pointers please if this is good bad or different for getting myself there and using it as my base for the 3-4 days we are there.

I've stayed there and it's well located. Right beside Aldgate Tube station and easy walking distance to Tower Bridge, Tower of London and City of London.

The 15 bus goes past the hotel and brings you to Trafalgar Square past St Paul's Cathedral and along The Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

pcasso wrote: »
    On the website they state "Some Visa and V PAY contactless payment cards from countries issued outside the UK are not accepted."

I was hoping that someone could confirm that they have uses a PTSB visa debit card in the manner of an oyster card

I would wager that it will work but be mindful that you'll pay a conversion fee for every usage. I'd just get a Revolut card, top it up and pay in local currency at exact rate

Brick Lane is a stroll from Liverpool St. Station and right beside Shoreditch so you've nightlife on your doorstep and massive hub for quick access to the rest of London. Can't go wrong really.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    I've stayed there and it's well located. Right beside Aldgate Tube station and easy walking distance to Tower Bridge, Tower of London and City of London.

The 15 bus goes past the hotel and brings you to Trafalgar Square past St Paul's Cathedral and along The Strand.

Thanks , think I will go with this one.
    Getting to there from Gatwick airport, could you recommend any options and also will head to Wembley for a stadium tour and millwall for a match on a Tuesday night . Thanks again!

Advertisement