Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

theteal wrote: »
    I would wager that it will work but be mindful that you'll pay a conversion fee for every usage. I'd just get a Revolut card, top it up and pay in local currency at exact rate

Brick Lane is a stroll from Liverpool St. Station and right beside Shoreditch so you've nightlife on your doorstep and massive hub for quick access to the rest of London. Can't go wrong really.

Thanks for this also! So it would be easy for me to manoeuvre myself and my 17 year old from here around the sights and what not? We will only be using the hotel to sleep in and get up and go every day. Anything you would recommend to do in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

andrew1977 wrote:
    Thanks , think I will go with this one. Getting to there from Gatwick airport, could you recommend any options and also will head to Wembley for a stadium tour and millwall for a match on a Tuesday night . Thanks again!

You can get the Gatwick Express to Victoria then the Circle line tube to Aldgate.

The Metropolitan line goes from Aldgate out to Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thanks for this also! So it would be easy for me to manoeuvre myself and my 17 year old from here around the sights and what not? We will only be using the hotel to sleep in and get up and go every day. Anything you would recommend to do in the area?

Within walking distance, you've the Tower of London, the Shard, the Walkie-talkie is closer and cheaper if you want a sky view of the city. London Bridge and Borough Market are a stroll away, it might be good to see where the attack happened, you can see how busy the area is, it really highlights how sickening it all was - plus I really like the market itself (I really can't think of anything like it in Ireland) but it isn't cheap. Also the Tate museum is just up the road from Borough. Actually as you're strolling, St. Pauls is just back across the river from there too.

After that, I can't think of anything without a tube/bus ride

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

I have another question about the Gatwick Express.

If I book a 'regular train', in advance from Gatwick into London - am I bound by the time of that train - i.e. if flight is delayed, and I miss my booked train, do I have to buy another train ticket to get to central London?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If I book a 'regular train', in advance from Gatwick into London - am I bound by the time of that train - i.e. if flight is delayed, and I miss my booked train, do I have to buy another train ticket to get to central London?

Depends on the ticket you buy. A super off peak ticket may be certain times only. Also you have south Eastern and Thameslink running trains. Check before you buy. The cheapest ticket will probably be operator and time specific

• Advertisement

Depends on the ticket you buy. A super off peak ticket may be certain times only. Also you have south Eastern and Thameslink running trains. Check before you buy. The cheapest ticket will probably be operator and time specific

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There aren't many tickets on the Gatwick line tied to a particular service, Super off-peak generally just means that ticket isn't valid between 4pm and 7pm, so if you're getting in at that time I'd actually just use a contactless debit card on the Oyster readers. You'll be charged around 14 quid but it's worth it to avoid the several hundred numpties whose heads explode when faced with the ticket machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

theteal wrote: »
    I would wager that it will work but be mindful that you'll pay a conversion fee for every usage. I'd just get a Revolut card, top it up and pay in local currency at exact rate

Brick Lane is a stroll from Liverpool St. Station and right beside Shoreditch so you've nightlife on your doorstep and massive hub for quick access to the rest of London. Can't go wrong really.

Curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Can anyone recommend a decent pub in the Bayswater / Paddington area for a couple this Saturday night?
    Looking for somewhere with decent grub and good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Can't help on the music front (you're in the wrong area), but Churchill Arms and Windsor Castle and Walmer Castle near Notting Hill Gate are good spots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I usually hit up Shake Shack when in London but a friend just sent me this, looks disgusting, I might have to go . . .

http://feedyoursoul.co.uk/stax/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yeh seeing them do a 'stuff-yourself competition' puts me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Any advice for travel from Holyhead to Brighton, via London ? have to go from London Victoria to Euston via Tube, anything to be careful about ?. Does anyone use the 'An-Post' Sterling cards ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Don't bring a massive suitcase. Fair enough the ferry can take it but the luggage racks on Virgin Trains from Holyhead to Euston are tiny. Euston to Victoria is very handy - few stops on the Victoria line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Any advice for travel from Holyhead to Brighton, via London ? have to go from London Victoria to Euston via Tube, anything to be careful about ?. Does anyone use the 'An-Post' Sterling cards ?.

One important thing to avoid is travelling on the evening ferries from Dublin (20.40 Stena or 20.55 Irish Ferries) because there is a 5 hour wait in Holyhead for the first train out and it is not the best place to be stuck for 5 hours.

If you can get a lift or taxi to the ferry terminal the 02.15 Stena departure is a much better option.

If you don't want to take the tube between Euston and Victoria there are alternatives. You could walk from Euston to St. Pancras, it is a 10 minute walk and direct trains leave from there to Brighton every 30 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.531758,-0.1271964/London+Euston,+Kings+Cross,+London+NW1+2DU,+UK/@51.5301009,-0.1344347,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x48761b23f9215735:0xa5428a5c064ffdaa!2m2!1d-0.1332842!2d51.5280609!3e2

It will probably be a bit quicker via Victoria but if you don't fancy the underground or if you're carrying a lot of luggage and it's not raining St. Pancras may be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Does anyone use the 'An-Post' Sterling cards ?.

Download the Revolut app. Order a card through it. They charge a fiver now for the card but it's still worth it. You get the exact inter bank rate and no commission. I'd be very surprised if the An Post card gives the same rate. Also as the Revolut card is contactless you can use it on the tube so no need for an oyster card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks folks...him and I just doing a day trip. He wants to go shopping. Is big into his clothes, vintage t shirts, etc...anyone recommend some decent places to shop??? I'm a bit out of the loop at this stage!! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks Deeds...defo going to consider London Dungeon. He's not a Potter fan. Camden Markets any good for a 16 year old??xx

Camden market seconded. Thatll be your lot for the shipping

• Advertisement

A work colleague has given me 2 oyster cards to use for my trip to London next week.

They have no clue what balance if any is on them and if they were registered before.They used them on their trip earlier this year.

Any issues or problems here ? I can just top them up and off I go hassle free ?

Also looking at southern rail train fares from Gatwick to Victoria next Monday it says it could be X amount cheaper if I paid by oyster card.
    Does that mean I can buy my train tickets ( me and my son ) on the day and get the cheaper price ? I know from experience buying rail tickets on the day of travel can be a pricey experience.

Thanks for the help and pointers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Spearmint Rino :pac:

Real answer, if he's into history at all, Go to the Churchill War rooms in Whitehall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Is he into football? Wembley? Arsenal's stadium?

A work colleague has given me 2 oyster cards to use for my trip to London next week.

They have no clue what balance if any is on them and if they were registered before.

Any issues or problems here ? I can just top them up and off I go hassle free ?

Also looking at southern rail train fares from Gatwick to Victoria next Monday it says it could be X amount cheaper if I paid by oyster card.
    Does that mean I can buy my train tickets ( me and my son ) on the day and get the cheaper price ? I know from experience buying rail tickets on the day of travel can be a pricey experience.

Thanks for the help and pointers.

Hey

When you go towards the train station in Gatwick there will be ticket machines, usually a queue but moves quick enough.

There you can top up, once you tap your oyster it'll show you your balance.

It's about £19 daily cap for your train in off-peak and then on the underground around london. No train ticket needed.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/rail-travel-outside-the-london-fare-zones#on-this-page-3

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Hey

When you go towards the train station in Gatwick there will be ticket machines, usually a queue but moves quick enough.

There you can top up, once you tap your oyster it'll show you your balance.

It's about £19 daily cap for your train in off-peak and then on the underground around london. No train ticket needed.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/rail-travel-outside-the-london-fare-zones#on-this-page-3

Thank you for your help, really struggling to get my head around the train /tube fares and structures.
    I arrive Gatwick around 9am Monday morning, going to Millwall FC on the Tuesday evening, Wembley stadium tour on the Wednesday , in between that, staying at Rhodes Hotel 195 Sussex Gardens, London W2 2RJ,and want to go around on the tube to the city centre for a bit of shopping and the tourist sights , big ben, tower of London , Buckingham palace etc.

Whats the most economical way to do this ? Can I buy a ticket to cover me and my son for the 4 days on all transport or what would you recommend ? And taking the train from Gatwick , I am assuming that I should not use the Gatwick express train as this is excluded from discounts /savings ?

Thanks again

Thank you for your help, really struggling to get my head around the train /tube fares and structures.
    I arrive Gatwick around 9am Monday morning, going to Millwall FC on the Tuesday evening, Wembley stadium tour on the Wednesday , in between that, staying at Rhodes Hotel 195 Sussex Gardens, London W2 2RJ,and want to go around on the tube to the city centre for a bit of shopping and the tourist sights , big ben, tower of London , Buckingham palace etc.

Whats the most economical way to do this ? Can I buy a ticket to cover me and my son for the 4 days on all transport or what would you recommend ? And taking the train from Gatwick , I am assuming that I should not use the Gatwick express train as this is excluded from discounts /savings ?

Thanks again

It is confusing tbh. Don't get the Gatwick express, you arrive at 9am so make your way to the train station in Gatwick, top up and you'll arrive into London after 9.30 so it's off-peak. I always do this and it's grand, there's frequent trains direct into Victoria in around 35 minutes.

For the rest of your trip just keep it topped up, the biggest fare will be on the day into london and on the return, the rest it'll be a much smaller Daily Cap.

Day one daily cap including Gatwick £19.30 (A single ticket on southern is about £15 no tube)
    Day two you'll probably stay within zone 1-2 so the day off peak cap is £6.60 (Millwall FC is near Canada Water or South Quays both in zone 2)

On the return day then the £19.30 to get back to Gatwick depending on flight time.

CityMapper is a great app for getting around London.

It is confusing tbh. Don't get the Gatwick express, you arrive at 9am so make your way to the train station in Gatwick, top up and you'll arrive into London after 9.30 so it's off-peak. I always do this and it's grand, there's frequent trains direct into Victoria in around 35 minutes.

For the rest of your trip just keep it topped up, the biggest fare will be on the day into london and on the return, the rest it'll be a much smaller Daily Cap.

Day one daily cap including Gatwick £19.30 (A single ticket on southern is about £15 no tube)
    Day two you'll probably stay within zone 1-2 so the day off peak cap is £6.60 (Millwall FC is near Canada Water or South Quays both in zone 2)

On the return day then the £19.30 to get back to Gatwick depending on flight time.

CityMapper is a great app for getting around London.

Thanks a lot ! 20 quid a day per oyster card be enough for both of us ? Or is that too much ?
    My flight home is at 5.30pm on the Thursday so will probably jump on a train around 2.30pm at Victoria,
    Monday and Thursday allow for 20 quid per person for train/tube around London.
    Tuesday and Wednesday, what do you think I should put on the Oyster card ?

Apologies for all the questions , just don't want to get fleeced on travel costs over there, any website I put in my travel plans into the fare prices come out mental money !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Thanks a lot ! 20 quid a day per oyster card be enough for both of us ? Or is that too much ?
    My flight home is at 5.30pm on the Thursday so will probably jump on a train around 2.30pm at Victoria,
    Monday and Thursday allow for 20 quid per person for train/tube around London.
    Tuesday and Wednesday, what do you think I should put on the Oyster card ?

Apologies for all the questions , just don't want to get fleeced on travel costs over there, any website I put in my travel plans into the fare prices come out mental money !

No worries, you won't be fleeced as it only takes per journey up to the cap.

You need a minimum of £14.20 to go from Gatwick into London. That first day just have £20 on. Then the next day just check your balance on the machine, there's these big yellow pads where you can tap and find out balance, top up etc.

Anything you don't spend you can get back under £!0 at machines, or via post, visitor centre refund not available at Gatwick.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card#on-this-page-4

• Advertisement

No worries, you won't be fleeced as it only takes per journey up to the cap.

You need a minimum of £14.20 to go from Gatwick into London. That first day just have £20 on. Then the next day just check your balance on the machine, there's these big yellow pads where you can tap and find out balance, top up etc.

Anything you don't spend you can get back under £!0 at machines, or via post, visitor centre refund not available at Gatwick.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card#on-this-page-4

Great information and help, really appreciate it.
    A tenner a day for each of us on the non airport days will get us around London on tubes no hassle? What about buses ? This cover us also if we need it?
    The main journies we will be doing is out to millwall for the game and Wembley and it looks like the tube covers us for both journies.
    I enjoy walking around cities exploring so I guess when we get towards the sights and tourist areas, we will wander from place to place.

Advertisement