Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That won't cover the to to Gatwick though.
    And you won't need zones 3-6.
    andrew1977 wrote: »
    Might have to put a fiver more on each to be safe. It's £8.10 single to/from Gatwick offpeak (inc sat)

However, you could potentially have much less on the card when you are travelling back to Gatwick as it would let you through the barrier at Victoria with probably the minimum Z1-2 fare. The card would go into minus when you exit at Gatwick and you could just top it up next time/get a new card. It's a little bit sneaky!

Thanks for the help, southern railway customer service told me today I can purchase a travel card
    Off peak day return ticket for £15.80 which will get me unlimited travel on trains buses and tubes , zones 1 to 6.

Does this seem right? I have my doubts and went back to their customer service a few times to confirm it and they assure me it's fine. (I don't have a travel card, but they said I don't need one, it's just called that fare type for off peak Saturday option?
    Seems very cheap for whizzing round London for the day ??
    The fare is there alright on the southern railway website , just strikes me as very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Train to Gatwick won't fall under the daily cap. Your tube journeys all will but your zone 1 and 2 so it's 6/7 quid. Your Gatwick train will be at least a tenner each way.

Only Gatwick Express journeys do not add to a daily cap. For all other Oyster uses the day cap when Gatwick is included are £19.30 Off-Peak and £31 Peak.

andrew1977, If you do decide to use Oyster £20 credit will be enough, your oyster will cap at £19.30 as Saturday is all off-peak. As you have found out cheaper paper ticket options are available.

That won't cover the to to Gatwick though.
    And you won't need zones 3-6.

That is incorrect.

Day Travelcards from outside the London zones are a standard and very well used rail ticket and have been for a very long time.

Thanks for the help, southern railway customer service told me today I can purchase a travel card
    Off peak day return ticket for £15.80 which will get me unlimited travel on trains buses and tubes , zones 1 to 6.

Does this seem right? I have my doubts and went back to their customer service a few times to confirm it and they assure me it's fine. (I don't have a travel card, but they said I don't need one, it's just called that fare type for off peak Saturday option?
    Seems very cheap for whizzing round London for the day ??
    The fare is there alright on the southern railway website , just strikes me as very cheap.

Travelcard is the name for the range of unlimited use tickets valid on all London public transport; Tube, buses, rail, DLR, tramlink. They were the main multi-mode product in London before oyster was introduced and are still available. For most people oyster is cheaper but for day trips to London from outside the zones they can still be the best value ticket.

From outside the London zonal area Day Travelcards are effectively a day return from the originating station to the London zonal area and an unlimited use ticket within the zones, because they originate outside the zones they are z1-6.

The ticket listed above is a Gatwick - z1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard - Southern Only. I have this fare listed as £16.60 not £15.80.

There is also a cheaper Gatwick - z1-6 Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard - Thameslink Only. This is £12.30.

The train company restrictions on both these tickets applies only to the journeys from/to Gatwick as far as the London Zones, so effectively in the section from Gatwick to East Croydon.

The cheaper Thameslink ticket is valid on less trains from Gatwick, currently only 2 per hour on Saturdays. These go through London to Luton stopping at Blackfriars and St Pancras and do not serve Victoria. Changing to Tube at Blackfriars or changing to Southern at East Croydon would be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Only Gatwick Express journeys do not add to a daily cap. For all other Oyster uses the day cap when Gatwick is included are £19.30 Off-Peak and £31 Peak.

andrew1977, If you do decide to use Oyster £20 credit will be enough, your oyster will cap at £19.30 as Saturday is all off-peak. As you have found out cheaper paper ticket options are available.

Day Travelcards from outside the London zones are a standard and very well used rail ticket and have been for a very long time.

Travelcard is the name for the range of unlimited use tickets valid on all London public transport; Tube, buses, rail, DLR, tramlink. They were the main multi-mode product in London before oyster was introduced and are still available. For most people oyster is cheaper but for day trips to London from outside the zones they can still be the best value ticket.

From outside the London zonal area Day Travelcards are effectively a day return from the originating station to the London zonal area and an unlimited use ticket within the zones, because they originate outside the zones they are z1-6.

The ticket listed above is a Gatwick - z1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard - Southern Only. I have this fare listed as £16.60 not £15.80.

There is also a cheaper Gatwick - z1-6 Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard - Thameslink Only. This is £12.30.

The train company restrictions on both these tickets applies only to the journeys from/to Gatwick as far as the London Zones, so effectively in the section from Gatwick to East Croydon.

The cheaper Thameslink ticket is valid on less trains from Gatwick, currently only 2 per hour on Saturdays. These go through London to Luton stopping at Blackfriars and St Pancras and do not serve Victoria. Changing to Tube at Blackfriars or changing to Southern at East Croydon would be necessary.

Hi there
    Thanks very much for the info and pointers, all very puzzling trying to work out London transport and the combined fares.

You are correct, apologies its £16.60 for the fare now, below is what it displays on the booking screen.

I am assuming I can buy this ticket, collect it at Gatwick airport and travel for the day in London, out and back to Millwall, city centre and back to Gatwick ?

This is the cheapest around and amazed at how good a value it is. I just notice that if I add an Under 16 train ticket to my purchase, it brings it down further in price to £15.20 , but dones not mention unlimited travel on trains etc

Gatwick Airport to London Travelcard Zones 1-6

Out: Sat 16 Sep 09:26
    Rtn: Sat 16 Sep 18:23
    1 x Adult£16.60
    Valid at off-peak times only. Includes unlimited travel on trains, London Underground, buses, DLR and Tramlink services within the zones specified. Refundable.
    Valid only on Southern services.

shown tickets for you

Rtn: Sat 16 Sep 18:38
    1 x Adult£13.20
    1 x Child£2.00

What ya reckon folks and thanks again for the input !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Hi there
    Thanks very much for the info and pointers, all very puzzling trying to work out London transport and the combined fares.

You are correct, apologies its £16.60 for the fare now, below is what it displays on the booking screen.

I am assuming I can buy this ticket, collect it at Gatwick airport and travel for the day in London, out and back to Millwall, city centre and back to Gatwick ?

This is the cheapest around and amazed at how good a value it is. I just notice that if I add an Under 16 train ticket to my purchase, it brings it down further in price to £15.20 , but dones not mention unlimited travel on trains etc

Rtn: Sat 16 Sep 18:23
    1 x Adult£16.60
    Valid at off-peak times only. Includes unlimited travel on trains, London Underground, buses, DLR and Tramlink services within the zones specified. Refundable.

shown tickets for you

Rtn: Sat 16 Sep 18:38
    1 x Adult£13.20
    1 x Child£2.00

What ya reckon folks and thanks again for the input !

As I said, Outboundary Travelcards are valid for travel from the originating station to the London Zones, unlimited travel on all Tube, Rail, Tram, Bus within the Zones and a return to the originating station.

The Family Travelcard is excellent value, had you said that you were travelling with a under 16 I would have suggested it. It is however necessary to actually have an under 16 accompanying you with the ticket, using it on your own is not allowed and could lead to a fine if caught.

I am not sure if that is issued as one ticket or two. If one you will have to find the manned barriers at each station, do not attempt to get 2 people through the automated barriers on one ticket.

If you are issued with separate tickets then let the youngster go through the barriers infront of you, the cheap child ticket may not always work the barriers, if that happens you will need to go to the manned gate instead.

These tickets are not discounted for advance purchase, you can buy online and collect at a ticket machine (you will need the card used to purchase them with you) or they can be bought at the station from machine or ticket office at the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Vic_08 wrote: »
    As I said, Outboundary Travelcards are valid for travel from the originating station to the London Zones, unlimited travel on all Tube, Rail, Tram, Bus within the Zones and a return to the originating station.

The Family Travelcard is excellent value, had you said that you were travelling with a under 16 I would have suggested it. It is however necessary to actually have an under 16 accompanying you with the ticket, using it on your own is not allowed and could lead to a fine if caught.

I am not sure if that is issued as one ticket or two. If one you will have to find the manned barriers at each station, do not attempt to get 2 people through the automated barriers on one ticket.

If you are issued with separate tickets then let the youngster go through the barriers infront of you, the cheap child ticket may not always work the barriers, if that happens you will need to go to the manned gate instead.

These tickets are not discounted for advance purchase, you can buy online and collect at a ticket machine (you will need the card used to purchase them with you) or they can be bought at the station from machine or ticket office at the same price.

Thank you, yeah an under 16 will be with me so will go with that option, great value for the day trip around London.
    Good advice you have given , appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How much does the London Underground cost with a 'contactless' payment ? between Euston and Victoria stations ? thanks S

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

£2.40

TFL has a fare calculator here, as well as a link to fare caps and travelcards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Folks, is there a travel card I can get which will cover transfer to and from airport and also Underground?

I'm travelling with my son on Sat, a day trip. The only combo. I can see online is the London Pass but we aren't visiting any fee paying attractions!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Folks, is there a travel card I can get which will cover transfer to and from airport and also Underground?

I'm travelling with my son on Sat, a day trip. The only combo. I can see online is the London Pass but we aren't visiting any fee paying attractions!

Depends on the airport. Heathrow Yes and also contactless/Oyster. Gatwick does contactless/Oyster. With the rest you might be able to get one by buying from the train companies. Thameslink for Luton and Stansted express for Stansted.

• Advertisement

Thanks Exile

Another one folks. We arrive in Gatwick. We are heading to Shepherd Bush (not my idea!!). Anyone know if there is a bus/train I could get from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush?? TIA

Another one folks. We arrive in Gatwick. We are heading to Shepherd Bush (not my idea!!). Anyone know if there is a bus/train I could get from Gatwick to Shepherds Bush?? TIA

Read my post #2466 above for outboundary travelcards, if it is a day trip and your son is under 16 then it will be the cheapest option.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104673401&postcount=2466

For Shepherds Bush get Southern from Gatwick and change onto Overground at Clapham Junction.

Cheers Vic

Is it not a bit of a stretch from Clapham J to Shepherds Bush?? Am going from memory here! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Cheers Vic

Is it not a bit of a stretch from Clapham J to Shepherds Bush?? Am going from memory here! lol

it's only 5 stops on the overground, but you're right, they're not exactly in the same part of town

Thanks shrapnel...:)

Is the tower of London tour worth it folks??

Thanks Fred. We going to Westfield them maybe Camden Town. Don't think we'll fit tower in...might just get to look at it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Is the tower of London tour worth it folks??

I think it is yeah, it's pricey enough at around £18 for an adult ticket but that's roughly the same for any paid for attraction in London and this would be one of my favourites that I've visited. Lot of history and it doesn't feel manufactured like much of the attractions you could visit. As Fred said above, the Yeoman tours are essential and they start every 20 minutes or so from the front gate and are included with the ticket, best to start with that and then explore everything else after.

Also, if you're visiting out of season, I think the Tower is included in the 2for1 rail ticket offer.

Edit: If it's just a day trip you're doing than maybe leave it out as you'd spend a good 3 hours if you want to see everything and not just rush through.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Is it possible to catch eurostar train from stansted airport? Stansted train to st. Pancreas international train station via king cross station?
    Flight arrival 5:30pm eurostar depart 8pm
    Is that enough time? Only hand luggage.

Stansted Express goes to Liverpool Street.

You can change to the Victoria line at Tottenham Hale and get to Kings X/St Pancras that way.

Hi Fred thanks for reply. Maps confusing I have two different maps tubes and i think the other train.
    Do you think there enough time?
    Hope to buy the express train tickets on the flight over to london.

Buy the Stansted Express ticket online before you leave. Cheaper that way.

It depends on the time of arrival at Stansted and your train to Paris.

Ok will look on online train ticket.
    Train journey 1hr.
    Flight arrive Stansted 5:30pm evening and eurostar train depart 8pm.
    Hope that enough time if catch 6pm train express train arrive 7pm.
    Eurostar Check in is half hr before departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

I'm going to London in September for a concert in Brixton Academy. I've been to London a bunch of times before, usually stayed in hostels as hotels were crazy expensive and I booked everything last minute.
    This time I've 10 months to sort accommodation. Seems a bit crazy to book something this far in advance, with it being London is the earlier the better with booking hotels or should I leave it a few months?
    Any opinions welcome, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Lapse

Could anyone recommend an area in London with reasonable hotels, that would be easy to get to from stansted and also might have good access to the o2?

Advertisement