Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Lapse wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend an area in London with reasonable hotels, that would be easy to get to from stansted and also might have good access to the o2?

If you are visiting at the weekend then i would suggest Canary Wharf as its usually busy during the week and dead at the weekend so a lot cheaper. Its a couple of stops from the o2 (you can see it as its just across the river).

You can get Stansted Express to Totenham Hale, from there get Victoria Line to Green Park and then jubilee line to Canary Wharf.

or

Get the Stansted Express to Liverpool St (last stop), get central line to Bank (one stop) and then the DLR to Canary Wharf (5-10 mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lapse

frag420 wrote: »
    If you are visiting at the weekend then i would suggest Canary Wharf as its usually busy during the week and dead at the weekend so a lot cheaper. Its a couple of stops from the o2 (you can see it as its just across the river).

You can get Stansted Express to Totenham Hale, from there get Victoria Line to Green Park and then jubilee line to Canary Wharf.

or

Get the Stansted Express to Liverpool St (last stop), get central line to Bank (one stop) and then the DLR to Canary Wharf (5-10 mins)

Thanks for that, I'll look that up, I'm staying on a thursday and Friday night so the hotels might not be that cheap then so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Try Hotels.com or booking.com and specify where you want to stay. Then select number of stars & type of accommodating ( Apartment / hostel...).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LBT

Hi
    We are a bunch of 10 heading to London in March for a weekend
    We are looking for a different way to see the city on the Saturday
    Any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Heading to London for the weekend in late April. Staying in Kings Cross area. Trying to figure out which airport will be handiest/better. Flew out of Stansted the last time and ended up with standing room only on the Stansted Express for an hour which has somewhat coloured my view of that airport. Haven't been to London for a couple of years though so looking for recommendations as to which airports are better and which ones to avoid please.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gatwick has a national rail connection to St Pancras, as does Luton. Piccadilly line from Heathrow stops there as well. Stansted is a ****hole anyway that I try to avoid like the plague. City is convenient but you'll need to switch from DLR to Northern line at Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi...heading to London in 2 weeks. Herself has an oyster card. I'll buy one when I get there.
    3 kids - 12, 10, 8....What's the deal on public transport - kids oyster card or piggy back on adults card?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hi...heading to London in 2 weeks. Herself has an oyster card. I'll buy one when I get there.
    3 kids - 12, 10, 8....What's the deal on public transport - kids oyster card or piggy back on adults card?
    Thanks.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/travelling-with-children?intcmp=25255

Unfortunately you are too close to the date to apply for zip oyster which is the best option so ignore that.

You will need to get another oyster for the 12 year old and have the Young Visitor Discount applied. This gives 1/2 rate on most services for 14 days and then reverts back to being a standard oyster card.

The 10, 8 year olds can accompany you/your wife for free on most transport in London. You should bring ID in case challenged, especially if they look old.

Do not be tempted to take the 12yo for free also, the Tfl revenue teams are thorough, often accompanied by Transport Police and won't give leeway.

For travelling with kids without tickets, do not use the regular barriers at tube/rail stations. They are designed to only allow 1 person through at a time and they snap back with considerable force. Look for the wide manned gates to get through with the kids and do not forget to tap in/out with all the oyster cards in use.

For Heathrow you can get the child oyster done at the TfL visitor centre and use the free travel on the tube. For Gatwick, Luton, Stansted you will need to pay child fares for all the kids on rail into/ out of London as the free travel does not apply on these rail services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

I'm looking to book some flights to London for husband and son for a game at the Emirates stadium. He's travelled to all the London airports on previous occasions and seems like they are all pretty easy to travel from but where's the best location to stay. My son has never been so id say husband would like to show him a bit of london. Would it be hassle if I booked central as opposed to somewhere near the stadium or would I be better booking the other way around.
    Thank u.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I found this

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

Roaster wrote: »
    I found this

That's brilliant thank u.

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    I'm looking to book some flights to London for husband and son for a game at the Emirates stadium. He's travelled to all the London airports on previous occasions and seems like they are all pretty easy to travel from but where's the best location to stay. My son has never been so id say husband would like to show him a bit of london. Would it be hassle if I booked central as opposed to somewhere near the stadium or would I be better booking the other way around.
    Thank u.

Just one thing to be aware of, matches can change times and days so, for example if it's a match in April the times are not definitely set yet. With matches on from Friday to Monday it can be a risk booking flights before times are set.

I think times are only set as far as the end of February/early March yet. There's a Soccer Tickets & Travel forum that would have more info on that than me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Two adults 3 children heading over for Harry Potter tour in April and seeking advice on getting to the Warner Bros. Studio from Luton airport [our hotel is close by]

Car hire is an option but id rather not if i can avoid, anyone have experience here and maybe some advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Dcully wrote: »
    Two adults 3 children heading over for Harry Potter tour in April and seeking advice on getting to the Warner Bros. Studio from Luton airport [our hotel is close by]

Car hire is an option but id rather not if i can avoid, anyone have experience here and maybe some advice please?

I've done a quick look, and its only half an hour (20 miles) in a car, so you may have to do it this way.

Google Maps suggest you can get to Watford Junction in 2 buses - and then there's a short shuttle bus from there. But it looks like the changeover station is a little hut on the side of a very busy dual carriageway. I'd avoid with kids.

If you really don't want to drive, get the Thameslink train into St Pancras (30 mins), walk to Euston (10 minutes) and get the train out to Watford Junction (20 mins). This has the added advantage of being able to stop by Platform 9 3/4s in Kings Cross. Tickets for this off peak are £32 for 2A3K, which isn't bad.

Taxis might be a good shout too. Harry Potter is well worth it, but much easier from town than Luton!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for that, i see there 321 - Sapphire - Luton - Watford and has a stop very close to our hotel.
    Just need to get a shuttle from airport to Luton Interchange which is close by airport.
    Probably taxi to Harry Potter the next day.

I always hire a car on holidays in spain ,i still might opt for car hire , im guessing Watford will be very busy on the day we arrive, Watford play Crystal Palace around our arrival time.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

That game's in April so time hasn't been set for it yet. 3pm is just the default. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it, Vicarage road is the far side of Watford from Harry Potter and Luton.

Dcully wrote: »
    Thanks for that, i see there 321 - Sapphire - Luton - Watford and has a stop very close to our hotel.
    Just need to get a shuttle from airport to Luton Interchange which is close by airport.
    Probably taxi to Harry Potter the next day.

I always hire a car on holidays in spain ,i still might opt for car hire , im guessing Watford will be very busy on the day we arrive, Watford play Crystal Palace around our arrival time.

321 from Luton to Watford Junction Station and the WB/Harry Potter shuttle bus from there.
    Max cost for 1 adult, 3 children would be £19.60 for 4 Arriva day tickets and £10 for return tickets on the studio shuttle.

Taxi would be about £30 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 isotonicdrink

Hey, heading to London in April. Flying into and staying around Gatwick on the Saturday and then plan on getting the Gatwick Express train into London on Sunday evening and exploring the city on Monday/Tuesday and flying out of London City Airport on Wednesday.

My better half is looking to do the usual excursions (Madame Toussads etc.), which I know you can buy 1 ticket, get 1 free with a valid rail ticket. My question is, as we will only be getting a single trip train, would I still be able to get the buy 1 get 1 free for excursions on the Monday? If not, what other options are there? (Apart from paying full price) Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Hey, heading to London in April. Flying into and staying around Gatwick on the Saturday and then plan on getting the Gatwick Express train into London on Sunday evening and exploring the city on Monday/Tuesday and flying out of London City Airport on Wednesday.

My better half is looking to do the usual excursions (Madame Toussads etc.), which I know you can buy 1 ticket, get 1 free with a valid rail ticket. My question is, as we will only be getting a single trip train, would I still be able to get the buy 1 get 1 free for excursions on the Monday? If not, what other options are there? (Apart from paying full price) Cheers!

Don't know about the excursions, but don't bother with the Gatwick Express. Just pay for the regular Southern train from Gatwick, it costs a fair few bob less and takes virtually the same amount of time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 isotonicdrink

Don't know about the excursions, but don't bother with the Gatwick Express. Just pay for the regular Southern train from Gatwick, it costs a fair few bob less and takes virtually the same amount of time!!

Appreciate the reply and tip! Anybody else able to offer any insight into my query?

Appreciate the reply and tip! Anybody else able to offer any insight into my query?

The previous post is spot on, Gatwick Express is a waste of money for no extra benefit. It will be cheapest for you to use Oyster or contactless credit card for the single trip from Gatwick.

The 2for1 offer requires 2 tickets valid on the day you avail of the offer.

You could buy paper travelcards and use them for your travel as well as the 2for1 entries but they are now much more expensive than the day caps on Oyster/contactless if you are staying in zones 1-5. If you are going to be travelling to zone 5 or 6 on the same day as visiting an attraction and not travelling before 9.30 am it may be cheaper and simpler to use travelcards as they are valid for 2for1, if you do this they must be bought from a National Rail ticket office, not Underground to be eligible for 2for1 entry.

Most likely you won't be going beyond z5 so it will be cheaper for you to use Oyster for travel and buy 2 rail tickets for each day you want to use the 2for1 offer.

The cheapest rail ticket that would be good for the offer would be Vauxhall - London Waterloo single at £3.10 each, you can reduce this to £2.05 each by adding a railcard discount. (you don't have a railcard but as you won't be using these tickets to travel that doesn't matter) You will need to buy 2 of these for each day you want to visit an attraction with the 2for1 discount. You will also need to buy these online and pick-up at a railway station ticket machine, Gatwick Airport would be fine for this.

this is a link to the type of tickets you need, obviously you need to pick the correct dates, the time on the ticket doesn't matter.

https://ticket.southernrailway.com/journeys-grid/VXH/WAT/2018-03-26T11:30//2//2TRx1?departNow=no&realTime=no&searchPreferences=%2C%2C%2C&showAdditionalRoutes=no&showCheapest=no&smartcard=no&tocSpecific=no

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london best to read the details/prices carefully and check on the attraction's own websites that there aren't any other offers available that beat the 2for1 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just home from London on Sunday. Used southern rail for the journey in and out. £71 for 2 adults and 3 kids return on an open ticket. Gatwick express isn't really worth the extra cost.
    Make sure and have an oyster card...really handy and cuts the cost of public transport down.

Did the London dungeon on Saturday morning. Really good. Did the London Eye after and it was ok. A long queue but moved fairly quickly.

You don't actually need an oyster card anymore, your debit card will also work though additional costs will arise. Revolut might work out cheaper.

I know with AIB you can notify them of travel plans but not sure if they'd be aware enough to know that it's being used instead of an oyster.

That's not how it works. The travel authorisation is done offline with only a check against internal systems done at point of use. The central TfL system collates the day's usage and issuing a single daily charge overnight. Even though usage is not authorised in realtime they maintain a blacklist so any card that does not validate will at worst give a day's use max.

Online authorisation at ticket gates would be way to slow for the throughput needed to keep the passenger flow at busy underground and rail stations so it was never a possibility.

• Advertisement

Advertisement