Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hard to do without knowing what you're interested in. There are tonnes and tonnes of options.
    Just keep in mind that while many museums are free you will have to pay for any special exhibitions - these can be quite pricey but are usually really good. The Victoria and Albert Museum always has interesting special exhibitions on and the British Museum usually has some good ones and some of theirs are free. I enjoyed the Imperial War Museum last year.
    Just check out Time Out for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

So I'm going to London next week staying in Shepherds bush with relatives and fancy a day trip to Windsor. Anyone know the quickest and direct way there I'm guessing either Paddington or Waterloo. Anyone done the trip how long should I give the castle so I can get to see other parts of windsor would I have time for surrounding areas I would plan to leave SB at 10.30 so it would be 12 by the time I get to the main station or on a train so probably be 1/1.30 when I get there they may close early so want to head there first. Is it far from the station and nice recommendations for cafes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Was in Windsor last summer (heading to legoland Windsor).
    Train from Paddington (with a change at Slough) takes about 30 minutes IIRC.
    Train station is literally opposite the castle.
    The town itself is compact and everything is easily walkable, and well geared toward tourists.
    We didn't get to see too much as we were getting the shuttle bus out to Legoland.

Thats great thanks it's mad the direct train from Waterloo is slightly slower than the indirect from Paddington I'm trying to gauge time. As I'm coming from Shepherds Bush via Hammersmith I'll need to get bus in and then tube to Paddington I'm guessing 2.5 hrs in all to get to Winsdor then trying to figure how long to take inside the castle and sightseeing for Winsdor and Eton. I won't be in a mad rush back I'd say trains back to Slough/Paddington are fairly regular. I don't think I'll get to Windsor by 12 so hoping I've enough time

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

You can get a direct tube from Shepherds Bush Market, Goldhawk Road, Wood Lane or Hammersmith (depending where in Shepherds Bush you are) to Paddington. Only takes 20 minutes max. Should leave you with plenty of time in Windsor.

• Advertisement

Coming from Askew rd so 266 is only bus to Hammersmith sometimes can be slow waiting for it but only take 15 mins in when you do get one then get H&C tube to Paddington. I'd say the trains are fairly frequent to Windsor for tourists. If I leave at 10.30 I might get there for 12.30 and I'll go straight to castle allow 2 hrs there

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Wherever you are on Askew Road you'd save time just walking to Goldhawk Road or Shepherds Bush Market and getting H&C from there.

True and save on an oyster bus journey checked its a 20 min walk from my aunts to shepherds bush market tube but at least I can get straight on tube to paddington if I see a 266 though straight away I'll hop on that. Sometimes quicker walking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

miss choc wrote: »
    So I'm going to London next week staying in Shepherds bush with relatives and fancy a day trip to Windsor. Anyone know the quickest and direct way there I'm guessing either Paddington or Waterloo. Anyone done the trip how long should I give the castle so I can get to see other parts of windsor would I have time for surrounding areas I would plan to leave SB at 10.30 so it would be 12 by the time I get to the main station or on a train so probably be 1/1.30 when I get there they may close early so want to head there first. Is it far from the station and nice recommendations for cafes please.

castle visit probably takes about 2 to 2.5 hours, but best way to save time is to buy your ticket beforehand as the queues can be mental to get in, especially around that time. not a huge amount else to see in Windsor. an hour walking around is plenty, then find a nice spot by the river or in the park and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

castle visit probably takes about 2 to 2.5 hours, but best way to save time is to buy your ticket beforehand as the queues can be mental to get in, especially around that time. not a huge amount else to see in Windsor. an hour walking around is plenty, then find a nice spot by the river or in the park and relax.

all thats in windsor is the queens extra clothes and things...Ive been..its not somewhere I would be recommending as a must see tbh. Its a big grand house and celebration of the queen

• Advertisement

Ticking off day trips from London looking at these two both same price anyone been to either and which would you prefer?

Oxford, Stratford-Upon-Avon & Cotswolds Discovery. Shakespeare and Spires

Or

White Cliffs Of Dover, Canterbury City & Kent Coast Day Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Do Ryanair sell cheaper Stansted Express tickets anymore?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Trying to rent a car in Gatwick but there is a massive variance in price.

Cheap companies have low ratings. The big boys have high ratings but 3 times the price.

Any recommendations? Will have separate rental insurance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can you share some dates and a budget and we can all have a go at trying to find something for ya? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ponster wrote: »
    Can you share some dates and a budget and we can all have a go at trying to find something for ya? :)

The 10th for 3 days. Around €40?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

godtabh wrote: »
    The 10th for 3 days. Around €40?

Ryanair.com.

i have used them 4 times in the past 7 months. Twice through work and other 2 personal in Spain and Croatia. I even brought the car through Bosnia & Herzagovnia.

In work we have discounts through Hertz, AVIS and RhinoCarHire. Ryanair are still cheaper.

When it comes to the rental companies I wouldn't worry about it. You are going through Ryanair.

When it comes to your insurance - I guess you mean you have your own excess cover. I have the same with AXA. They just hold around €1000 on your card.( I am sure you know how that works)

Overall - Just make sure it is Full to Full fuel and unlimited KM's

P.S I would rent cars roughly 7 or 8 times a year and have gotten to know many car rental companies. I was even involved in a claim.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Often you'll find that in Gatwick that the major companies all have airport pickup and so you'll pay a surcharge for the privilage. if you're willing to use a shuttle to ferry you to and from the car rental location you'll find better deals.

I tend to use www.novacarhire.com to compare prices because they are Irish and they do a very good job at giving you the exact price that you'll pay at the desk (if not prepaying) ensuring that you aren't surprised by any extra insurance that you may be expected to purchase. Nova suggest that you can get a compact car for 18e from Easirent (fairly reliable). This goes up to 27e if you opt for the optional full insurance.

www.rentalcars.com, another brooker, gives more or less the same price but unlike Nova don't let you know who it is that you'll be renting from until you purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Which airport is the best for easy access to the central London?.. Luton airport seems to be the cheapest to fly to, does anyone know if theres good transport to central London from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

London City (LCY) would be your best bet I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Luton is too far out - bus to train station then train to Kings Cross.
    London City is probably handiest , otherwise use Gatwick and train to Victoria or London Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

London Airports outside of London.

North of London.

Luton. Transfer bus just to get to the train station, then commuter train, but it does pass through several London Stations.

Stanstead. Express train to Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street.

South of London.

Gatwick. Commuter to Croydon, Clapham, and Victoria. Express to Victoria.

London Airports in London.

Heathrow (west). Few options including Express train to Paddington, and Piccadilly Line on London Underground.

City (east). Docklands Light Rail, into the City.

Flights to the city are like 200 euro and 10 euro to Luton, is it expensive to travel from luton to central London or what the cheapest way to fly to city (LCY)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Completely depends where you stay.

Stansted has trains to Liverpool St

Gatwick has trains to London Bridge, Blackfriars and Victoria

Heathrow is on the Piccadilly tube line but takes about 50 mins to Green Park

Luton has trains to city thameslink I think, definitely Blackfriars

LCY is extremely handy, can get flights with CityJet for around 100 or a little less all in, including 23kg luggage

Don’t forget to factor in extra travel costs depending on airport. £17 from Stansted to the city, only £8.40 off peak from Gatwick to the city for example

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Can get 757 bus from Luton Airport into Baker Street/Marble Arch or Victoria Coach Statin in Central London for about 15 pounds return. Takes about an hour depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Heathrow. Direct tube into all major sights, points of interest... more frequent flights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

LCY is best for for the city, small airport and DLR line is connected. Can be pricey though.

I’m loving Southend of late. Airport is tinchy so you can be off the plane and at train platform in about 3 mins, then 50ish mins into Liverpool Street. That’s similar to Stansted but just a much better airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Heathrow would be the handiest as it's on the Tube, but if I am in no particular rush, I get either the easybus or National Express from Gatwick/Luton or Stansted and save on the fares.

As an example, in Sept I am going over for a concert - return flights to Stansted 32 euro , return bus Stansted to Waterloo Station 10 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Heathrow can also be quite pricey to be fair, and that tube journey feels like it never ends!

I'd definitely get the National Express bus from Stansted if flying there as the train is a rip off and Liverpool Street is notorious for having signal faults on its lines, meaning no trains.

Having had nearly 20 flights between Dublin and London since January, I'd go with Gatwick or LCY every time. But as I've said, other airports are handier for other destinations. If you don't tell us where in Central you're going, we can't really say what's best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah, nobody that lives here/is frequent visitor gets the tube from Heathrow, youd waste half your weekend on that journey. There are much quicker trains.

• Advertisement

Heathrow can also be quite pricey to be fair, and that tube journey feels like it never ends!

Lambeth

Advertisement