Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I did it last November and thought it was meh. Not worth the expense and the queuing imo. My favourite tourist attraction in London (and I wasn't expecting much at all) was Madame Tussauds. The children absolutely loved it (selfies with Usain Bolt, 1 Direction, Ronaldo etc.) and very professionally run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As the OP can see, reviews are mixed. I did it a few years ago and consider it worth it. Deffo buy tickets in advance, otherwise you will be at the end of a huge queue of tourists in sweltering heat. Booking a time slot in advance means you just walk up and will be dealt with pronto, you shouldn't have to wait more than 10 minutes to be boarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I'm living here at the moment done it twice. It's worth it for the experience. But do get the combo ticket with something else if she would be interested. It's damn expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

We did it in February. Not planned but ended up starting close to sunset. Spectacular views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

We did it at night. No queues. Spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Waste of time. Better views at the Shard.

They force you to pose for pictures. Ain't got time for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Waste of time. Better views at the Shard.

They force you to pose for pictures. Ain't got time for that.

I wouldn't say that it's a waste of time. The View from the Shard is worth a go, mind. You can take your time at it as well unlike the eye.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I preferred the Shard tbh. London Eye is probably worth it once for the novelty but is seriously overrated by tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I did it last November and thought it was meh. Not worth the expense and the queuing imo. My favourite tourist attraction in London (and I wasn't expecting much at all) was Madame Tussauds. The children absolutely loved it (selfies with Usain Bolt, 1 Direction, Ronaldo etc.) and very professionally run!

I combined the London Eye with Madam Tussauds in May with my 10 yr old daughter, Like you, the eye wasn't great, but Madam Tussauds was brilliant. The 4D movie and the train through Old London was amazing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I preferred the Shard tbh. London Eye is probably worth it once for the novelty but is seriously overrated by tourists.

As theteal said, just go for the Sky Garden (in the Walkie Talkie building) - essentially the same view as the Eye and Shard, but with the distinct advantage of being free! Not much queuing either if you're on a free ticket, and none if you're going to a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

As theteal said, just go for the Sky Garden (in the Walkie Talkie building) - essentially the same view as the Eye and Shard, but with the distinct advantage of being free! Not much queuing either if you're on a free ticket, and none if you're going to a restaurant.

I'm sorry but view wise, it's not in the same league as the shard by a country mile. don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to visit especially as it's free, but just can't be compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm sorry but view wise, it's not in the same league as the shard by a country mile. don't get me wrong, it's a nice place to visit especially as it's free, but just can't be compared.

Haven't been to the Shard but, IIRC, both have their viewing from the 35th floor so I would have imagined the views could easily be compared?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Would near to Earls Court be an okay base to rent an apartment for 3 days seeing the sights in London, with a family of 5? Have seen one on Airbnb for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Haven't been to the Shard but, IIRC, both have their viewing from the 35th floor so I would have imagined the views could easily be compared?

Shard is floors 69-72 I think. The restaurant and bar in the shard is 30 something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Have a drink in the bars in the Shard. You can see most things from there anyway. And you dont have to queue for the viewing deck

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Going to London for a weekend its my first time what would people recommend seeing/doing apart from the London Eye, The Shard, Sky Garden.. I know it's not very specific, but open to all suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Going to London for a weekend its my first time what would people recommend seeing/doing apart from the London Eye, The Shard, Sky Garden.. I know it's not very specific, but open to all suggestions

If you want some culture

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/whats-on

Yard standing is a fiver, have a look at all the dates as although a lot has sold out there are plenty available. It;s an absolute bargain and a great way to see shakespeare in a fabulous venue.

Walk along south bank or go to borough market to grab something to eat and drink en route

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Would near to Earls Court be an okay base to rent an apartment for 3 days seeing the sights in London, with a family of 5? Have seen one on Airbnb for a decent price.

It would be grand yeah. You're on the Piccadilly and District lines. Not the most lovely of areas from memory but not bad.
    If you fly into Heathrow it would be handy for the Tube in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out the hms belfast well worth a visit , its on the thames,the churchill hill war rooms are pretty good, a boat trip on the thames, and defo the sky garden , you have to book it in advance and bring your passport with you , they check it on entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

London views are good value at dusk if that's an option (even from modest heights). A bit like an interactive map, with the picture changing as the lights come on (some things become clearer, e.g. where the roads, the river and some buildings are). I also always try and work in a walk across the river when I'm over there (I've never tired of that, and I'm a very mature Londoner!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Could anyone recommend a good hotel near King's Cross? Myself, wife and two young boys going to London in October for a weekend and as we fly into Luton the train brings us direct to St Pancras so we'd like to base ourselves in that general area. I've looked at some hotels but a lot of them seem quite pricey...I'd be looking at around the 350 mark for two nights for a family room in a decent hotel. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Could anyone recommend a good hotel near King's Cross? Myself, wife and two young boys going to London in October for a weekend and as we fly into Luton the train brings us direct to St Pancras so we'd like to base ourselves in that general area. I've looked at some hotels but a lot of them seem quite pricey...I'd be looking at around the 350 mark for two nights for a family room in a decent hotel. Thanks.
    Someone (maybe on Boards, maybe somewhere else, can't remember) recommended the Premier Inn, just beside King's Cross Station. Not tried it myself so can't vouch for it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Someone (maybe on Boards, maybe somewhere else, can't remember) recommended the Premier Inn, just beside King's Cross Station. Not tried it myself so can't vouch for it personally.

Have stayed in it. Absolutely fine, can't go wrong with any Premier Inn Hotel, or even Travelodge. We mostly stay in Stratford as its a 50 min bus to stansted and you have an incredible amount of connections via rail and tube to all over London. But as you're coming from Luton, King's Cross may suit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

Hello everyone, I know the answer already but would be nice to hear about experiences or opinions.

I’m a massive Arsenal fan and been travelling over a couple times a year to London to watch them play. I’d go over more only the hotel prices in London are hefty.

Seeing as I can usually get a return flight for little or nothing, does anyone have any experience flying over and back in the same day from Dublin? It seems do-able in my eyes. 6am flight, land early morning, and get the return flight back around 6pm.

It would mean I can travel to more games because I wouldn’t have the hotel bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

From Dublin it would be easy.

I've done it once from Galway: that was a long day 5am and got home 3am the next day. But I spent 5 hours with a friend in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mr_jackapple

From Dublin it would be easy.

I've done it once from Galway: that was a long day 5am and got home 3am the next day. But I spent 5 hours with a friend in the city.

I’m about 70min from the Airport so not too bad. Definitely not as far as Galway. Should definitely check Knock airport if you’re going again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

It's well doable with the number of flights going out daily. For example on 27th October the first flight to Stansted is 6:25am, you'd be on a train around 8am (return stansted express tickets can be got for around £16 return if you purchase a few months in advance) and you'd be in the city by 9am. Last flight back is 10:05pm so you'd need to be back on the train about 7:30pm latest I'd say. You'd have a good 9 - 10 hours in the city all going well.

Have never done it personally as I have a brother over there for free accommodation. Would be a long day though and I'd just get a cheap hostel for the night if funds are tight. But well doable and I'm sure many do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I do it all the time for theatre, going next Saturday. I'm close enough to Dublin airport so usually fly over around 8am. Morning for shopping/museums/chilling (also allows for flight delays). Lunch, matinee, dinner, fly home around 9.30pm. Very comfortable.

6pm return flight would be tight depending on kick off. I'd look at later returns.

Advertisement