Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

In regards to getting around London, if you don't mind some extra walking, I'd recommend avoiding the tube to hop from place to place, and walk instead. You save money and get to see more of the city too. I tend to only use the tube when traveling to and from my hotel which is usually in Earls Court. Obviously, it is a different story if you are in a hurry or it is raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

spurious wrote: »
    Yes I suppose if you're in a rush, the Tube although more expensive is a better option, but if time is not an issue, the buses save quite a bit of money. Likewise the £2.99 fares in from the airports, again, if you're not in a rush.

The Gatwick Express and more often than not Southern are p!ss-takingly expensive compared to the bus, often more than the flights themselves. Shame the journey is nearly triple the time :(

I usually fly into Stansted and get the express train which is only £7 each way if booked enough in advance and has you in central London in 45 mins. Then you have the bonus of a railcard which offers 2 for 1 entry to tonnes of museums and attractions in London which can be a huge saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jauzman wrote: »
    I'm an Irish Citzen and I'm married to a South African Citizen. We are living in Ireland with our two Irish Born Children . My Wife has a Stamp 4 and GNIB. We are travelling together with our Boys to South Africa via Heathrow, Will my Wife need a visa to transit via Heathrow ?
    Thank you.

Does she have stamp 4 EU Fam which would be respected by the U.K. as an EEA residence permit? Your wife travelling with her EEA family should be permitted entry to the U.K. based on proof of marriage alone but it’s often better to have the EEA permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Caranica wrote: »
    Yes, capping is the same

Actually capping is better with contactless re 7 days usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Hi all I have to go to a work course in oxford next month it’s on a Thursday, what’s the earliest flight into London any airport?
    I’ve to be there at 9 so by the time I’ve picked up a car and all I’d need to be at the airport before 7 I reckon,
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Try fly to Luton or Heathrow. Anything else gives you a world of pain using the M25. Don't know the times but Aer Lingus fly to Heathrow and Ryanair to Luton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Fly to LHR with the 0640 Aer Lingus, puts you on the correct side of London for Oxford but you can't bet on being out of the terminal in Heathrow before 0815, thats not going to work out

If you fly to Birmingham Airport and drive down it might work as you will out of the terminal by 0800 but its more than an hour to drive.

If you need to be there at 9am, fly the evening before

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Fly the evening before. It’s a lot less stress

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Train options would include the Heathrow Express to Paddington where you can get a direct train (one hour) to Oxford. It's also an hour to Oxford from Birmingham International, the railway station at the airport.

But I can't see you making Oxford for 9 off a morning flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hi all I have to go to a work course in oxford next month it’s on a Thursday, what’s the earliest flight into London any airport?
    I’ve to be there at 9 so by the time I’ve picked up a car and all I’d need to be at the airport before 7 I reckon,
    Thanks

There's this new thing called the internet
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Sorry op. Same day you could not get there by 9am. I struggled to be in slough by 9am when I was taking the first flight, and that's beside Heathrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Sorry op. Same day you could not get there by 9am. I struggled to be in slough by 9am when I was taking the first flight, and that's beside Heathrow!

I resigned to it now! Will fly the evening before can fly from Shannon so at least that’ll make things a bit handier,

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi I’ve a flight to Los Angeles coming up next Saturday morning. I land from Dublin in T2 at 8.05am and I’ve to transfer to T3 for my connecting flight to LAX for 9.35am. I have I hr & 30 minutes to do this so I’m a bit panicked. My bags will be checked through but I need to go through security in T3 again. Should I get a Fast Track security pass? Also when I land in T2 are there clear signs for the transfer bus etc to get me to T3? Any suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This is easy

Make sure you have selected a seat on the LAX flight, Aer Lingus will then check you in and issue both boarding cards in Dublin

Arrive LHR
    Follow the purple signs to flight connections, down stairs, bus to T3
    Then arrive T3
    Security and then done

Time from stepping off plane to being past T3 security, 25-30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

This is easy

Make sure you have selected a seat on the LAX flight, Aer Lingus will then check you in and issue both boarding cards in Dublin

Arrive LHR
    Follow the purple signs to flight connections, down stairs, bus to T3
    Then arrive T3
    Security and then done

Time from stepping off plane to being past T3 security, 25-30 minutes

Hi thanks for the reply. It will be two different airlines but I will have all boarding passes beforehand. I had gone onto the Heathrow webpage and put in the details of the flight & it said it would take me 70mins from the flight landing in T2 to board in T3 so I was a bit panicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If you're going Aer Lingus to Virgin Atlantic they will check your bags all the way through.

It did it in 25 minutes last week and that included a good 10 minute wait for the connecting bus which was unusual

5 min plane to connections T2
    5-10 min wait
    6 min bus ride
    5 min to connection T3
    5-10 mins Security

Check in in person with Aer Lingus if possible, the check in agents will typically allocate seats close to the front for connections to speed the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Hi,ive a family member travelling long haul via Heathrow at the end of the month,5 hour wait between flights on the return leg,was thinking of buying one of those lounge passes as an xmas present. Ive never been in one ,are they any good?,are they relaxing etc?.Just trying to think outside the box for an xmas present.
    Any help/opinions appreciated,Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Not sure what Terminal,will find that out.Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Can anyone recommend any good value hotels in the city centre that aren't complete kips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Can anyone recommend any good value hotels in the city centre that aren't complete kips?
    I was told, plus I saw a recommendation online from someone I trust (maybe a Boardsie), that the Premier Inn at King's Cross is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone know if a pass can be purchased for the Aer Lingus Lounge if one has arrived with Aer Lingus, but is departing with another airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hmm, I'm flying in to Heathrow with Aer Lingus, and flying out with Austrian Airlines. That probably rules it out for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

There is a paid lounge in T2 (Plaza Premium).

It's got far better food then the EI lounge , but no view as it doesn't have windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

I have an event I'm going to during the day in London. I'm going on a Friday and coming back Saturday evening. Trying to arrange flights at present and just wondering taxi transit time for all 4 major airports at 5pm on a Saturday evening from Covent garden . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It would be well over an hour from the city centre, and that's before any possible traffic or delays.

Why not use public transport instead?

If you're using Heathrow, you'd have the Piccadilly line at Covent Garden tube station going directly to Heathrow in under 50 mins or so, and it's only around £4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Heading to London for a long weekend at the end of January and looking for suggestions on what to do there on a Sunday morning. Haven't been to London in years so quite excited. Will be fitting in a show, some shopping, eating out, etc but would like suggestions on what to do on the Sunday morning. Have lunch booked for early afternoon so doesn't allow a lot of time for sightseeing in the morning. As we have both done the usual sites before we'd like to spend the time doing something a bit different, like local markets or perhaps some lesser known museums.

Anyone have any suggestions on interesting things to do in London on a Sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

We land in Heathrow at T5 and want to get to T1 bus station to get a bus. We will have Junior so there will be a pram and a few bags

I know the tube goes there and there are buses that go but I can’t find out how easy it is especially with a pram and bags? I have landed before in T5 but made my way to Hatton Cross station to get the bus I wanted but with Junior on board not as easy and rather just get to the bus stop in T1 as I know where it stops and its the starting point of the bus so easier to get on board

Contacted Heathrow and they said people will assist when I land but just looking for travelling experiences?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Hi

We land in Heathrow at T5 and want to get to T1 bus station to get a bus. We will have Junior so there will be a pram and a few bags

I know the tube goes there and there are buses that go but I can’t find out how easy it is especially with a pram and bags? I have landed before in T5 but made my way to Hatton Cross station to get the bus I wanted but with Junior on board not as easy and rather just get to the bus stop in T1 as I know where it stops and its the starting point of the bus so easier to get on board

Contacted Heathrow and they said people will assist when I land but just looking for travelling experiences?

Cheers

Note, there is no Terminal 1, it closed you need the Central Bus Station at Terminals 2,3.

There are a few ways to go: Tube as you have mentioned or Heathrow Express, both are free for transfer between terminals.

The only bus linking T5 and T2,3 appears to be the First Berkshire 7 which runs every 10 mns. This should also be free for travel inside Heathrow but I'm not 100% as it is not a TfL London service.

Alternatively the 423, 482, 490 From T5 serve Hatton Cross.

These TfL maps should help, note that the 411 bus marked no longer serves Heathrow.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/heathrow-t5-0117.pdf

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/heathrow-t23-0117.pdf

https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/Slough%207s.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Terminal 1 has been closed for a few years now. What type of bus are you looking for ?

Advertisement