Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks

My bag yes was aware of T1 closed just did not proof read it.:o

We get the x26 to Kingston bus. So I can get the tube to Hatton cross and then pick up the bus from there but rather get it from the terminus at the bus station in T2 so we can get seats and room for Pram etc.

Easiest option is probably to get the Express train to T2 and head up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Foggy Jew wrote: »

Chaos ? They’ve clearly never seen Die Hard that’s true chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

ted1 wrote:
    Chaos ? They’ve clearly never seen Die Hard that’s true chaos.

They should check and see if there's a church on the outskirts of the airfield, drone operators probably in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Was wondering, am I better off to use an Oyster card or use contactless (Revolut card) for a weekend of tube use? Its a Friday to Monday trip, going to mainly involve lots of hop on hop off journeys focussed on Victoria area and not too far out. Some sites say contactless better option but also mention there's certain travelcards which can be loaded onto Oyster which could benefit me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Won't make any difference as the daily caps will apply. TFL will charge you 1 amount at the end of end day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Was wondering, am I better off to use an Oyster card or use contactless (Revolut card) for a weekend of tube use? Its a Friday to Monday trip, going to mainly involve lots of hop on hop off journeys focussed on Victoria area and not too far out. Some sites say contactless better option but also mention there's certain travelcards which can be loaded onto Oyster which could benefit me?

Contactless has a weekly cap which Oyster does not, there are some combinations of journeys that get charged less on contactless as well but I would be 99.99% sure that a tourist would never encounter these situations.

The price you are likely to pay will be the same either way.

Personally I prefer Oyster type cards but that's down to security as I like to have my bank cards/wallet/cash secure in an inside pocket when I travel and busy stations with crowds is a perfect place for dippers to catch you while you are distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Not sure if you still need any suggestions, but have you been to the Albert and Victoria Museum? I enjoyed this a lot and it's less busy than the British Museum, the Natural History Muesum or Tate Modern. If you go early on a Sunday it should be quiet enough and it's a nice way to spend 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get yourself down to brick lane market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Space Dog wrote: »
    Not sure if you still need any suggestions, but have you been to the Albert and Victoria Museum? I enjoyed this a lot and it's less busy than the British Museum, the Natural History Muesum or Tate Modern. If you go early on a Sunday it should be quiet enough and it's a nice way to spend 2 hours.

Looks like they some interesting exhibitions scheduled for January too. Think this might be a better option than the British museum. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deise boii

Hey ya

My partner two kids and myself are looking to go to London in June for 5 days and maybe Edinburgh for two nights. We are thinking of staying in LEGOLAND for two nights is there any sites for deals or packages. Also any recommendations for the week away would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Just book directly with legoland www.legolandholidays.co.uk you get early access to the park the next day. and try to stay away from weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it might be helpful to say the ages and gender(s) of your kids so people can recommend appropriate attractions.

Natural History and/or Science Museums (they're more or less beside each other) may be worth checking out if they are old enough. Boys may be interested in the RAF Museum in Hendon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deise boii

Oh yea sorry boy is 9 and girl is 6. Looks like we are doing 2 nights in Edinburgh then down to London for 3 nights and 2 nights in LEGOLAND. It would be bloody cheaper go to Florida

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

For Legoland, just book direct with https://www.legolandholidays.co.uk - there are usually offers like buy one day's park tickets and one night's accommodation, and get a second day in the park for free.

If you've got your own transport, go for the nearby partner hotels rather than the Legoland hotels themselves - they're significantly cheaper. They're also basic as can be (think Premier Inn/Holiday Inn/etc.), but since you're unlikely to spend much time there outside of sleeping and breakfast, that should be okay. And you can still wander in around the public areas of the Legoland hotels themselves as you visit the park anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd go with Oyster if it's an option. In my experience, contactless cards can be dodgy - I've had one AIB card work, but not another. More specifically, a Revolut card (which you mention) wouldn't work - this was a known issue with their Mastercards AFAIK - they contacted all users asking if they'd had trouble with TFL and sent out new Visa cards instead (I got one, but haven't used it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Science Museum possibly of more interest to that age group than the Natural History. There's a water play area not too many people are aware of which they'll probably love - it's in the basement; there's also a show / demonstration area beyond it. Note that while the museum is still nominally "free" (although you will be given a hard shakedown for a 'voluntary donation' on the way in), quite a number of the newer, best, exhibits are chargeable separately - this includes Wonderlab which my kids thought was great, and worth the fee. I'd also recommend the IMAX cinema - they'll love a 3D film in it (not cheap though). Most importantly, get there early (opening time) - both it and the NH will be crazy busy by 12 o clock.

Sky Garden is a no brainer - fantastic views from the top floor of the Walkie Talkie Building. Almost unbelievably for London, it's free! You need to book in advance - slots are released 2 or 3 weeks in advance (used be Monday mornings, not sure if still the case) and will go quickly.

Are the kids into fancy cars (Ferraris, etc)? If so, I'd recommend a wander through Mayfair, where you should have no trouble spotting Ferraris, Astons, even Lamboghinis. Specifically, I'd suggest alighting at Green Park tube and walking via Berkeley Square and Conduit St to Regent St. This sets you across the road from Hamley's - it's sure to be chaotic (and expensive!) but the kids will be blown away by all the toys. If you want to pick something up there, but not fork out megabucks for toys, there's a sweet section on the top floor IIRC.

Any kid should love the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) - similar to the tube but runs by itself, and above ground. Hop on at the front doors and the kids can scoot to the front window and pretend they're driving the train! I'd recommend using a line that runs through Canary Wharf direction - they run between the skyscrapers. One suggestion is to combine a visit to the Sky Garden (above) with a DLR trip from the adjacent Bank station to Greenwich Market. Nearest stop is Cutty Sark but you could also get off at Island Gardens and let the kids run through the foot tunnel under the Thames. The Market itself is good fun - they should find some knick knacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are the kids into fancy cars (Ferraris, etc)? If so, I'd recommend a wander through Mayfair, where you should have no trouble spotting Ferraris, Astons, even Lamboghinis.

+1 and there's a few parking spots at the front of the Dorchester in Park Lane where you'll usually see a few supercars. Tube to Hyde Park Corner and walk up Park Lane towards Marble Arch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd suggest staying at the resort itself rather than looking for a cheaper hotel which will require a car. It's possible to take a bus from both Windsor and Bracknell, the two closest towns where the budget hotels are but that's not really much of a holiday, esp. with the kids. I've never visited but I only live a mile away from Legoland so know the area well.

Suggestions on places to go really depend on how you are going to get about. Warwick castle would be a great place to visit but not the most practical if not driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Guess that depends on budget and personal choice. I've just had a look at prices for a two-night break in June, and the difference between a resort hotel and a partner hotel can be as much as £400 (approx £650 v £250).

We brought the car with us on the Rosslare-Fishguard ferry when we were over last year, so it was a no-brainer for us to book one of the partner hotels that was just about a ten minute drive away. But again, things are obviously different if you're not driving yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Whats the best way to get from Gatwick to the Waterloo underground station area

Take the normal Southern train to London Bridge and then take the underground to Waterloo. Do not use the rip off Gatwick Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Take the normal Southern train to London Bridge and then take the underground to Waterloo. Do not use the rip off Gatwick Express.

Southern do not run from Gatwick to London Bridge, Thameslink do.

I would get a Southern Victoria train to Clapham junction and change there for a Waterloo train.

In both cases you need to be careful to get a fast service (1-3 intermediate stops only) rather than the stopping services as they are much slower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whats the best way to get from Gatwick to the Waterloo underground station area

If you are not in a rush, EasyBus. If you book in advance they can work out really cheap.

Link

**edit
    Scrub that. While it appears on their website, it doesn't seem possible to book, but anyway, Easybus or National Express are always worth a look if time is not a factor.

They drop at the London Eye which is very close to Waterloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

They drop at the London Eye which is very close to Waterloo.

I see that advertised on there website but no option to pre book it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Heading to London for a couple of days at the end of this month. We are renting an apartment in Notting Hill,checking out at around 11 in the morning. As this is a serviced apartment we can't leave our bags in storage but our flight back home isn't until 7pm. Do any of the stations have bag storage, I presume they do but no idea which ones would. We are flying back via Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

List of them here (it's a booking site but I don't think booking's necessary.

I've only used the one in Victoria Coach Station so far (easy & efficient). If you're homing in in a station, the Transport For London site has detailed info on individual ones.
    https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/london?gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGidBG_22T37Zk6RZoTPkNu1aJ72I3CB5oJR0BrHFduxYnVAXMUNmcnMaAqz8EALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Victoria train station has a payable left luggage facility.
    Daisy78 wrote: »
    Heading to London for a couple of days at the end of this month. We are renting an apartment in Notting Hill,checking out at around 11 in the morning. As this is a serviced apartment we can't leave our bags in storage but our flight back home isn't until 7pm. Do any of the stations have bag storage, I presume they do but no idea which ones would. We are flying back via Heathrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Yes - wasn't sure about the the train station, but it's also on the list.

Advertisement