Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options
1909192939496»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Use a revolut card if you have one. Zero fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been seeking an answer online, but I can't find the precise solution.

I'm going to London next week.

One journey will require three legs:

1. Heathrow Connect from T5 to Heathrow Central (T2/T3)

2. TFL Rail from Heathrow Central to Ealing Broadway.

3. Tube from Ealing Broadway to North Acton.

I have an Oyster card from years ago and I know that all methods of transport mention above will accept them.

My question is - how many times should I be tapping... and when?

If I exit the Underground through a swipe barrier, am I required to tag onto the TFL Rail?

What if there's no physical barriers between modes of transport and I can stroll from train to train?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid penalty fares for missed tagging.

You need to tag on at the start of a journey and off at the end, at some stations you may have to exit and re-enter changing modes but the system is designed to combine journeys in this case, even for places where there is a walk on public streets between changes.

The only things that catch some people out are unbarriered stations and the DLR where you still need to tap in/out but are not faced with ticket barriers making you do so.

As another poster has mentioned using Tfl Rail from Heathrow is more expensive than the Underground.

For your journey from Heathrow T5 to Acton North via TfL Rail it is £7.30 peak or £6.00 off-peak

By using the Underground for the whole journey: Piccadilly line Heathrow T5-Acton Town, changing to the District line to Ealing Broadway and Central line to Acton North it will cost you £2.80 peak or £1.50 off-peak and the journey times are similar to using TfL Rail.

Using Heathrow Express via Paddington also would take a similar time but costs £27.80 peak or £24.40 off-peak so don't do that.

Oyster or contactless cost the same for most journeys, it is highly unlikely an occasional use visitor to London would end up in one of the scenarios where there is a difference. If you have an oyster, particularly if it still has credit on it then you may as well use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yeah but an irish debit card can work out more expensive wiht non euro fees

Do you not use Revolut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you not use Revolut?

I do, but the op may not

I have mentioned revolut already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If there is no physical barrier on the second leg, but there is a tapping device beside its platform.... should I tap again or just hop on?

That type of tapping device (between platforms, not as you exit) is called a 'pink' card reader, it's there so that you can establish the exact route you took for charging purposes and specifically, if you want to show that you did not wander into a central zone.

An example from a trip I took a few years ago.....

I wanted to go from Earl's Court tube station (which is in zones 1 & 2) to Hampton Court which involved tube and mainline rail. The route I took was from Earls Court via the District Line to Wimbledon where I changed to a mainline train coming from Waterloo. My route started in zone 2 and went outwards so I was never in zone 1. But I could have taken the tube to Waterloo (in zone 1) and picked up the same mainline train there so to prove that I did not do that, I tapped my Oyster card on a reader between platforms when I was changing trains in Wimbledon.

Incidentally, the actual reader I tapped in Wimbledon was not pink, it looked like the regular readers at the exit but according to the TFL website (link below) they're normally pink while the exit readers are yellow. My Oyster card is registered so I can get a statement of my journeys and I was charged the proper fare.

Ealing Broadway and the Acton stations are all in zone 3 so you have nothing to lose by tapping the reader between platforms, otherwise the system might assume you went all the way into zone 1 and back out again.

Pink card readers help you pay the right fare by telling us the route you took didn't go through Zone 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Use a revolut card if you have one. Zero fees.

One advantage of not using your Revolut (or other) card if you happen to have an Oyster card is being able to limit how much you'll get charged if you forget to tap off at one of those non-barrier stations, or if the system decides you've taken the expensive straight-through route instead of the cheaper peripheral option described by colyemj.

Also, if you're hopping on and off the tube all day, it's a lot less risky keeping your Oyster card accessible while your debit/credit cards stay well buried and out of reach of pickpockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

coylemj wrote: »
    That type of tapping device (between platforms, not as you exit) is called a 'pink' card reader, it's there so that you can establish the exact route you took for charging purposes and specifically, if you want to show that you did not wander into a central zone.

An example from a trip I took a few years ago.....

I wanted to go from Earl's Court tube station (which is in zones 1 & 2) to Hampton Court which involved tube and mainline rail. The route I took was from Earls Court via the District Line to Wimbledon where I changed to a mainline train coming from Waterloo. My route started in zone 2 and went outwards so I was never in zone 1. But I could have taken the tube to Waterloo (in zone 1) and picked up the same mainline train there so to prove that I did not do that, I tapped my Oyster card on a reader between platforms when I was changing trains in Wimbledon.

Incidentally, the actual reader I tapped in Wimbledon was not pink, it looked like the regular readers at the exit but according to the TFL website (link below) they're normally pink while the exit readers are yellow. My Oyster card is registered so I can get a statement of my journeys and I was charged the proper fare.

Ealing Broadway and the Acton stations are all in zone 3 so you have nothing to lose by tapping the reader between platforms, otherwise the system might assume you went all the way into zone 1 and back out again.

Pink card readers help you pay the right fare by telling us the route you took didn't go through Zone 1

That is only partially correct.

The system will NOT assume a journey such as the OPs (or yours) will be via Z1 unless he hits a reader in Z1 as it is not a logical route for that journey.

It is only for cross-London journeys which would be logical via Z1 that the pink readers will reduce the fare by proving you have taken a route avoiding Z1.

The yellow platform readers are not for this at all, they are at places (such as Wimbledon) where people require to change mid-journey from paper national rail tickets to oyster/contactless without having the hassle of exiting the station and re-entering.

Advertisement