Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Replacement

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I live in a 3-bed end of terrace, 1930s build. Heating system is a bit of a relic, probably put in during the 60s.

Have an oil fired boiler in a shed attached to rear of house, with asbestos flue extending through roof of shed to the roofline of the house.

System works grand in that it heats the rads fine but I'm concerned about efficiency and amount of dirt that seems to be produced - from time to time I see soot blowing out of flue. Have had the boiler cleaned and serviced, but this recurs within a few months.

Would like to have the boiler replaced and the rads replaced.

There are 3 large old double rads downstairs (these do not have the fins on the back), and seem to use a lot of water compared with modern rads.

There are another 4 single rads upstairs, 3 are old with one slightly newer.

Is it possible just to replace the boiler and radiators or is it important to re-work the piping and jhave separate heating zones and the like?

If anyone has done this and has any recommendations re type of oil boiler and radiators/valves to use and/or an installer they would be happy to recommend please pm me or leave a note on your experience.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,163 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This may get more replies in the DIY forum.

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JerryQ

Is gas available at your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JerryQ

I replaced an oil boiler with a new gas one in 2007.

1. There are grants available to put in a high efficiency boilers. My one (a 27KW Condensing Vokera with instant hot water) only cost 150euro more than a non-efficient 27KW Vokera. No grant at the time, and cost 1070euro.

2. Issues - new high efficiency boilers operate at a higher system pressure - so its possible that some of the seals/joins in your heating circuit - (e.g. connections into radiators) may start leaking.

3. Putting in heating zones wouldn't normally require re-doing your pipes. Normally a single pipe runs up to the upstairs rads - you could put a timed electric valve on this - or a timed pump (may balance load better)

4. I also put thermostats on each radiator - delighted with them as now rooms, especially bedrroms, don't get too warm. Regret not putting room thermostats as well.

5. I bought new rads in B&Q - pretty cheap 70/80 euro each - depending on size - only replaced large ones.

When I moved into house, the first 6 weeks the old oil boiler used 450euro of oil. My entire gas bill for last year was 400euro! (and thats with a gas oven and rings)

If you can't get gas - there are new high efficient oil boilers that will also save you 30%+

Advertisement