Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell jobs again

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

just in a meeting in dell and more jobs gone. All custoemr care is moving to philipines out of limerick. My jobs is gone but at least 6 months notice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Feck! Heard there were rumblings up there alright, any other departments affected??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im so sorry to hear that. Now everybody in Dell will be looking over their shoulders.

My own father was told his job is safe so no doubt he will be concerned if that is now true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Berty wrote: »
    Im so sorry to hear that. Now everybody in Dell will be looking over their shoulders.

My own father was told his job is safe so no doubt he will be concerned if that is now true or not.

yeah, we were told that too but not now. Things change in an instant here. All gone to the Philipines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Hard luck. What kind of numbers are we talking about this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Hard luck. What kind of numbers are we talking about this time?

60 in care and 50 in IT, more in other dept, about 200 altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Well that sucks
    Sorry for your loss man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Cheerywood is going to be hit hard too today. Not sure on the numbers yet though. The lads were referring to today as "Black Friday" last weekend. Sorry to hear about your job man. Mines gone allready.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Live 95fm claim that 120 will go in Cherrywood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

RTE are reporting 130 in Cherrywood & 100 in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I am gone too at the end of April (was told this morning)....oh well, I am ready for a new challenge elsewhere! :cool:

Surely plenty of jobs out there... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

RTE link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

I'm really sorry about your job. Good luck in your search for new beginnings.

But the inefficiencies within the company are astounding.

My laptop died this week. It is a Dell, under warranty. I rang the customer support (India) and working together we discovered that one of my memory boards was f****d. I would get a 1/2 gb board delivered by courier foc.

However in discussion, it was suggested that 2gb rather than 1gb memory might better for the machine, so I ordered and paid for 2 x 1gb memory cards to be delivered.

I was told the 1/2 gb card would be here today, the 1 x 2gb next week. I was asked to stay home to meet the courier.

Late morning, a DHL courier arrived and I was asked to sign. Discovered that the 2 x 1gb was delivered. About 15 minutes later a UPS man arrived with the 1/2gb card!!

Totally ludicrous, totally wasteful - even the carbon emissions involved are silly. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 judwaa52

Hiya,

what deps were you in ? i heard about 130 from cherrywood are gone, mostly sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    But the inefficiencies within the company are astounding.

However in discussion, it was suggested that 2gb rather than 1gb memory might better for the machine, so I ordered and paid for 2 x 1gb memory cards to be delivered.

Totally ludicrous, totally wasteful - even the carbon emissions involved are silly. :confused:

Hardly, you rang up to complain about a broken laptop and ended up PAYING for somthing else:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Will there be anyone working for them in Limerick after all of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

listen no matter what is being said at the moment dell will not be in or near Ireland in 18 to 24 months time. they just cant announce that right now. istead jobs aree just being cut until its to a minimum then it will leave completly. everybody knows this but are to blindsided to say

Unfortunately what Paulegend is saying may not be too far from the truth. There's a large chunk of jobs that they can't move right now due to IDA grants, taxation or the logistics of moving core parts of their EMEA business. It's very likely that they'll continue to scale back as other countries start making it very worthwhile for them. Eventually it'll hit the point where they'll have the option of easily pulling everything from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Unfortunately what Paulegend is saying may not be too far from the truth. There's a large chunk of jobs that they can't move right now due to IDA grants, taxation or the logistics of moving core parts of their EMEA business. It's very likely that they'll continue to scale back as other countries start making it very worthwhile for them. Eventually it'll hit the point where they'll have the option of easily pulling everything from here.

going back to the old shannon industrial zone, how many firm left after the tax honeymoon was over, every one as far as i can recall. they get the same deal elsewhere, it is called industrial economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Paulegend wrote: »
    listen no matter what is being said at the moment dell will not be in or near Ireland in 18 to 24 months time. they just cant announce that right now. istead jobs aree just being cut until its to a minimum then it will leave completly. everybody knows this but are to blindsided to say

Isnt that what happened with flextronics?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Isnt that what happened with flextronics?!

ahhh good auld flex, mcdonalds payed better than them (and that's senior management) dont think anyone will miss them

• Advertisement

old boy wrote: »
    going back to the old shannon industrial zone, how many firm left after the tax honeymoon was over, every one as far as i can recall. they get the same deal elsewhere, it is called industrial economics.
    Pretty much. Our out of control inflation always does this. At one stage I worked for Tellabs in Shannon. If ever there's an example of how quickly so called 'knowledge economy' jobs can disappear it's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Anyone know when the first wave of redundencies comes into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

End of april, they brought 2 lines forward as well by 2 months, start of june instead of end of july.

Well...the beginning of the end starts this week as the first 400 or so employees are being let go this friday. (May 1st) There is a do going on for them in the unicorn pub that day i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

unicorn gig has been moved across the road to the highway apparantly due to demands of the unicorn owner?
    Its line 2 that are having that gig,many will be hitting the town hard id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

unicorn gig has been moved across the road to the highway apparantly due to demands of the unicorn owner?
    Its line 2 that are having that gig,many will be hitting the town hard id say!

Doesn't Brian Greene own the Highway anyway as well as the Unicorn? If so, then he will still be getting the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Doesn't Brian Greene own the Highway anyway as well as the Unicorn? If so, then he will still be getting the cash.

Ralph Mulally, the same guy as Russells as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jmccoy wrote: »
    Ralph Mulally, the same guy as Russells as far as I know.

Cheers, I knew it was someone that already owned a bar in the area that bought the Highway. Just had the wrong guy in my head.

There was a TV camera crew out side EMF 1 today. I assume they were trying to interview people who had just received their P45's. There was plenty of them. :(

A tough day for all concerned I imagine. I wish them all the best for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Its tough alright. I know a few who are finishing after 10 or more loyal years and the older guys may never work again, sad really.:(:(:(

Advertisement