Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear Wheel Bearings

• 20-03-2009 11:28am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Yamaha Fazer FZS600 2003.

Recently I got some work done including chain, sprockets, pads and a few other bits and bobs. There is a local guy who does all the work for me and I just buy the parts in. Waaaay cheaper than getting someone else to buy the bits.

The bike was a bit rough but is now running quite well, I've got a K&N air filter to pop into it which will hopefully get rid of a choking of power I'm experiencing but that could be down to other things(hopefully not).

Onto my question .... the rear wheel bearings don't have much left on them so I got 2 sets (accidentally) off ebay for €13 delievered (sweet). The guy I get to put the bits on for me says that I need outer hub seals, I can't seem to find these anywhere online. The bearings are 6204 RS1 which come pre-sealed but I think I need an outer seal aswell.

Here is a link to the bearing:
    http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=&Product_Code=Kit7548&Offset=&Store_Code=bearings&ShowShip=1

Anyone know where I can pick up seals for them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I have a Yamaha Fazer FZS600 2003.

An absolutely topper of a bike.

The bike was a bit rough but is now running quite well, I've got a K&N air filter to pop into it which will hopefully get rid of a choking of power I'm experiencing but that could be down to other things(hopefully not).

A dirty standard filter will indeed cause you problems under hard acceleration. Coughing and spluttering under these conditions can also be caused by corroded plugtop/htlead connection. Other than that I'd never a problem with the Fazer engine.

Onto my question .... the rear wheel bearings don't have much left on them so I got 2 sets (accidentally) off ebay for €13 delievered (sweet). The guy I get to put the bits on for me says that I need outer hub seals, I can't seem to find these anywhere online. The bearings are 6204 RS1 which come pre-sealed but I think I need an outer seal aswell.

Look up the yellow pages under "seals" and ring around. Abbey Seals in Dublin (4505291) for instance. Either clean off the seal and get the number moulded on it or measure it. Outer diameter / inner diameter / width is what you need.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd describe it so just tell them its "the standard kind of lip seal used in all sorts of industrial applications to protect roller bearings" ... and they'll know what you're talking about

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Hey Antiskeptic,

Thanks very much for your advice!
    I'll give a ring and see what I can get.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Try and not tell them it is for a motorbike. Don't know why but as soon as you say bike there will be a sharp intake of breath and a shake of the head. The reason/excuese I use is 'it's for an engineering project' and don't elaborate.

If the bearings you got are sealed then you should be able to use the old seal as it is now only being used as a spacer.

Advertisement