Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECLECTIC MICKS Sketchblog

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello there.

As of a couple of weeks ago there's a new sketchblog online with material by irish-only comic artists. The artists in question are myself, Bob Byrne (Mr. Amperduke), Stephen Mooney (Angel), Will Sliney (Farscape) Stephen Thompson (Star Trek) Nick Roche (Transformers) and PJ Holden (2000ad).

Between all of us we cover American comics, British comics, , monthlys, graphic novels, small press, etc, so it really is an eclectic mix of ...you guessed it ....Eclectic Micks.

So far we're all pretty happy with the results. We all post an image once a week and since there's seven of us that means there's a post online every single day. Check it out. Leave comments. Leave suggestions. Love us. Main thing is, if you're an Irish comics fan, why the hell are you not looking at a daily-updated blog by all of Ireland's professional comic artists?

The blog is here.

I'd normally post an image as a tease, but i can't figure out how to, so yer just gonna have to go look.

FrJack.jpg
    (Image added by some dashing moderator type)

Thanks,

Declan Shalvey.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Good stuff Dec, I'd seen Bob's posts about it a couple of weeks ago but everyone should have a look at this.

Still think the name's a bit blah, but the idea's great and it's good to see it taking off. Any plans to put stuff in print for it or are ye going to see how things go for a while first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 D Shalvey

YOU'RE name's a bit blah!

Ah just kiddin'. I didn't come up with the name, but i do like it. Puns are fun. Hey; that rhymes!

Well originally, the 'Micks thing was supposed to be a sketchbook, but it was hard gettin some guys organized (it is hard to find time to do drawings outside of your professional job). Now with the blog, everyone's producing an image once a week, so there'll actually be a lot of material to choose from to make a sketchbook with down the line.

First things first; we'll concentrate on the blog and just make sure it's updated every day. Ideally though, we would have a big collection of sketches in print. Maybe for the Dublin con later this year, who knows?

Dec.

(PS, thanks for puttin up an image!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

didn't cop that no one had linked to the blog on here even though it was mentioned a while back on Bob's blog. I was in prison so thats my excuse for not doing it :P

Also hate the name but its all about the art.

I hate the art, but it's all about the name for me :)

Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Tis pretty cool - I envy such talent as you lot!! *shakes fist* :)

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks 'star-pants'. We all envy your Star-Pants. Impressive.

Thanks for looking.

Dec.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just went back and had a longer look around - that Father Jack is great stuff Dec, it looks like the sort of thing that'd make a great print.

Fysh wrote: »
    Just went back and had a longer look around - that Father Jack is great stuff Dec, it looks like the sort of thing that'd make a great print.

Thanks man. That Jack came out well. Was chuffed to hear Graham Linehan saw it. There's a lot of great stuff gone up since, like Mooneys Molotov Kokteese, Bob's Mole Man and Thompson's Punisher just to name a few. Hope ye all check it out.

Dec.

Yeah, I've been having a look every couple of days and it's been good to see the range of material that's gone up there. Although Bob's Mole Man, undoubtedly good though it was, will forever live in the shadow of his Nude Brian Cowen *snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

I love the Rocketeer one; one of my favourite films as a kid, great to see there are a few others out there who haven't forgotten it too.

He was always a great design, but you've made him look phenomonal.

• Advertisement

Ah thanks very much Niall. That's very nice of you to say.

Glad you like it :)

Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to bump this a bit - because there's some fantastic sketches up there, I just caught up with the week. Boba/Dragons/Crang -- makes me so jealous of peoples talent lol as my best is stick figures.

Advertisement