Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homophobia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    The OP's views dsgust me. If only we had a Hitler for the homosexuals I think is his point. How enlightened. But he's not religious and he "knows gay people" so it's ok. Question OP, if you had a gay friend and they read your views here, would they ever talk to you again?

no i never said because i have gay friends its ok, im sayin because i have gay firends i have experience of their way of live and living as much to a straight person or someone that has never met a gay person.

In fairness ive discussed this many times with a few gay friends and they are more of the opinion that im a homophob and they can undesrstand my views, as i firmly believe a persons sexuality does not define them as a person and anybody taht thinks im hating a person,on an individual level because they are gay is seriously mistaken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Ironé wrote: »
    I can never understand homophobia. How on earth does it impact you if someone else is gay? It is the most natural thing in the world. Some people think that its social conditioning. It's not. It occurs in nature - there are gay animals - many studies done to show this. A friend of mine actually did her thesis on this :)

I have gay friends who have gone through hell in their teenage years coming to grips with the fact that they were attracted to someone of the same sex. Not because it was wrong but because of the attitude to homosexuality in this country. It's not something that anyone would want to choose. Who would ask to be exposed to people's narrow minded opinions.

People throw around such generalizations as well - the poster who said that gay people she has met are "vulgar". That has nothing to do with them being gay - straight people can be vulgar as well.

The issue of marriage which the op, I think was trying to open a discussion on - although its hard to tell as his comments so far seem in my opinion to be childish and quite ignorant of the facts. Personally I'm for it - what possible harm can it do. And why should these people not be entitled to have their family legally recognized? Children being in the equation has absolutely nothing to do with it. Couples are entitled to adopt whether they are married or not. Or entitled to procreate themselves using artificial means. There is no basis in fact to say that children with same sex parents are somehow losing out. They don't need to have a father (if it's two women), a male figure in their life yes but not necessarily their father. And vice versa for two men.

Final point - I agree with the poster who stated that insecurity is often at the root of a lot of homophobia.

Allow me to clarify:

The gay people I have met (NOT aLL GAY PEOPLE) are BY FAR the most vulgar people I have ever met. One of them got fined for public indecency in a park the other day.

I may have had the misfortune to meet the worst side of the spectrum, but they were undoubtedly way out of line, NEVER stopped talking about sex, dogging, meeting places etc.

Again not for a minute saying all gay people are like this, but this is what I have experienced. and you can see how these kind of people would taint people's attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

no i never said because i have gay friends its ok, im sayin because i have gay firends i have experience of their way of live and living as much to a straight person or someone that has never met a gay person.

In fairness ive discussed this many times with a few gay friends and they are more of the opinion that im a homophob and they can undesrstand my views, as i firmly believe a persons sexuality does not define them as a person and anybody taht thinks im hating a person,on an individual level because they are gay is seriously mistaken.

But you kind of wish a Hitler type character had wiped out gays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

This narrow-minded, backwards country will need another few years for homosexual couples to be able to express themselves more freely. But at the same time, one can intrepret it as 'flaunting their gayness'.

I feel it is grand the way things are now, nobody is discriminated, nobody afraid etc. Most of us know one or two gay people, which corresponds to the fact that people are way less inclined to stay in the closet nowadays. So whats wrong? fine, youll get the odd gob****es who will get up in arms over the whole gay thing, but by and large, they're very liberated in this narrow-minded country. We've came a long way surprisingly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Allow me to clarify:

The gay people I have met (NOT aLL GAY PEOPLE) are BY FAR the most vulgar people I have ever met. One of them got fined for public indecency in a park the other day.

I may have had the misfortune to meet the worst side of the spectrum, but they were undoubtedly way out of line, NEVER stopped talking about sex, dogging, meeting places etc.

Again not for a minute saying all gay people are like this, but this is what I have experienced. and you can see how these kind of people would taint people's attitudes.

I knew a straight dude who locked his daughter up in his basement and had a load of kids with her. Should this taint my view of all straight people or just all Austrians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

He said he found something disgusting

I wouldn't call finding something disgusting 'homophobic'.

I would find it disgusting if straight or gay couples did it. And I know alot of gals who would agree with me.

Well homophobia is a fear or contempt of homosexuals and / or homosexuality. I think most of his posts in the thread demonstrated a deal of contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

One of them got fined for public indecency in a park the other day.

I can apply all of this to straight people i know, there is a possibility that there is just a great disparity between the gay people and the straight people that you know?

There's a sick side to heterosexuality too. Yeah, dogging and all that - its not right, its actually perverse moreso than straight-up homosexuality. Should carry prison sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

but do you need see the HUGE cop out there?that its ok to dislike/be disgusted by gayness on an abstract level,but as long as you like a few gay people then its a-ok?Sexuality doesn't define someone as a person,true,but it is a part of them none the less,a part of them that you feel disgust for.Honestly,I dunno why your gay friends have someone they call a homophobe as a friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I knew a straight dude who locked his daughter up in his basement and had a load of kids with her. Should this taint my view of all straight people or just all Austrians?

Both. Also people called Josef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think Hitler might of already tainted Austrians (and straight people!)

Read my post again. I said I don't think all gay people are like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Personally, I think that gay people should be allowed do what they like, so long as the are as discreet about what they do as most straight people are. In fairness though, most gay people I know wouldnt appear obviously gay.

I'm also kind of split on the marriage issue. I think gay people should be allowed get married but at the same time I'm not too sure about what effect that might have on any child brought into the equation, either by full adoption or otherwise. Isn't it a bad thing if a child grows up without a mother/father figure in the home as they develop a less well-rounded view of gender roles and stuff?

Read my post again. I said I don't think all gay people are like this.

just the vulgar ones you've met?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Allow me to clarify:

Again, this has nothing to do with them being gay. I know straight people who are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Allow me to clarify:

I am hetrosexual, and if we ever meet at a beers you are much much better off not talking to me. Unless you want to be turned off hetrosexuals for life too. You think you have seen vulgarity and shameless behavior? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Sesudra wrote: »
    just the vulgar ones you've met?

yeah, your point?

humanji wrote: »
    Ah no, the austrians blazed a trail before Fritzl. The case of two gays lads meeting over the internet, then dining over ones penis and onesubsequently one ate the other. Fritzl comes 2nd in the regard

Personally, I think that gay people should be allowed do what they like, so long as the are as discreet about what they do as most straight people are. In fairness though, most gay people I know wouldnt appear obviously gay.

I'm also kind of split on the marriage issue. I think gay people should be allowed get married but at the same time I'm not too sure about what effect that might have on any child brought into the equation, either by full adoption or otherwise. Isn't it a bad thing if a child grows up without a mother/father figure in the home as they develop a less well-rounded view of gender roles and stuff?

I don't know how many times it has to be said on this forum. But I will repeat it.

JUST BECAUSE A COUPLE GETS MARRIED DOES NOT AUTOMATICIALLY GIVE THEM THE RIGHT TO ADOPT!!!!

Do you think any hetrosexual couple can walk off a street into an orphinage and say "Hey, I'll take three babies please. Can I get one of them in black?" and walk away with a full family?

Families still have to be judged suitable, I just don't see why homosexual couples are not allowed the same consideration in the process as hetrosexual ones.

Ah no, the austrians blazed a trail before Fritzl. The case of two gays lads meeting over the internet, then dining over ones penis and onesubsequently one ate the other. Fritzl comes 2nd in the regard
    Ah, proof positive that all gays are cannibals. And Austrian! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, all us straight people are like Hitler!!

Seriously we are

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

I'm also kind of split on the marriage issue. I think gay people should be allowed get married but at the same time I'm not too sure about what effect that might have on any child brought into the equation, either by full adoption or otherwise.

Em, you don't have to be married to have children? So Same Sex marriage has nothing to do with same sex couples having children.
    Isn't it a bad thing if a child grows up without a mother/father figure in the home as they develop a less well-rounded view of gender roles and stuff?

Should we take children away from single parents too? I mean surely if having no father figure in your life screws children up that badly social workers would be running around the country taking children away from single parents to nice safe families with a father and a mother?

yeah, your point?

nothing that other posters haven't already said about disgusting vulgar behaviour not being the sole domain of the gays:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I find the people that come out with the I'm enlightened and don't mind homosexuality/I have gay friends but they should keep it indoors or not wave it in my face guff far more irritating than people who just come out and say they abhor, or are disgusted by, homosexuality.

The views are basically the same, but at least the latter have the courage to be honest about their homophobia.

oeb wrote: »
    I am hetrosexual, and if we ever meet at a beers you are much much better off not talking to me. Unless you want to be turned off hetrosexuals for life too. You think you have seen vulgarity and shameless behavior? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Oeb we are obviously very far apart in what we like, because I think people who go out and get plastered and make a show of themselves and cause fights etc are pathetic and I would never associate with people like that.

Different strokes for different folks.

no i never said because i have gay friends its ok, im sayin because i have gay firends i have experience of their way of live and living as much to a

a persons sexuality does not define them as a person .

and nobody should discrimante against a person because of their sexuality/religion/race/colour/hobbies....

and my contradiction to that is that i am discrimanting against homsexual peoplee] regards to marriage.

Ironé wrote: »
    Em, you don't have to be married to have children? So Same Sex marriage has nothing to do with same sex couples having children.

Should we take children away from single parents too? I mean surely if having no father figure in your life screws children up that badly social workers would be running around the country taking children away from single parents to nice safe families with a father and a mother?
    start up a gay adoption thread

stovelid wrote: »
    I find the people that come out with the I'm enlightened and don't mind homosexuality/I have gay friends but they should keep it indoors or not wave it in my face guff far more irritating than people who just come out and say they abhor, or are disgusted by, homosexuality.

The views are basically the same, but at least the latter have the courage to be honest about their homophobia.
    That's a little unfair. I don't want to see any couples going at it on a park bench. How is that irratating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

No problem with them as a people and have no problem with them getting married or even adopting kids. But I am sick of these liberals who go round backing them up saying things like "it's natural behavior". It's not natural. Forget about the enjoyment you have have from being in a relationship with and/or having sex with a woman or a man .... or a sheep (and whatever component act that entail), basic biological design and historical experience indicate that sticking your cock up other mans arse is a way of propagating the species is not going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

I have moanaphobia and im sick of all these fuckwits crying about the world being against them.
    The world is not against you mr gay. your the same as the rest of us so get over it. what annoys me is the whole me me me me me me eme me me me look at me im gay/ everyone hates me im gay/ gay gay gay smay... Shut up

Were is all this homophobia, I might be wrong but im guessing the OP is gay and just started this thread to get attention.

4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I also can't stand public displays of affection, and neither does my fiance, thank God.
    Slobbering all over each other is never attractive for anybody else to see.

hahahaha jesus - I think you would be more at home in the world of that sci fi movie with Christian Bale where nobody is allowed to "feel or show emotion". Why would people hugging or kissing bother anyone!! anyway totally off thread, but wow what some people feel and think amazes me!

Oeb we are obviously very far apart in what we like, because I think people who go out and get plastered and make a show of themselves and cause fights etc are pathetic and I would never associate with people like that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Who said anything about being plasterd, making a show of themselves and causing fights? At least read what you are quoting.

jim o doom wrote: »
    hahahaha jesus - I think you would be more at home in the world of that sci fi movie with Christian Bale where nobody is allowed to "feel or show emotion". Why would people hugging or kissing bother anyone!! anyway totally off thread, but wow what some people feel and think amazes me!
    Affection and PDAs arent the same.

PDAs are more of a 'look at us' were in looooooooooooooooove

Families still have to be judged suitable, I just don't see why homosexual couples are not allowed the same consideration in the process as hetrosexual ones.

I think you do see why. It because traditionally homosexual couples have never been afforded the same status as heterosexual ones. I'd expect that a family based around a heterosexual couple would very often be considered a more suitable family in which to raise a child than a family based on a homosexual couple, simply because it affords the child a more typical family in which to grow up.
    In fairness, people can be liberal all they like but I would have hated to grow up witout a mother and have 2 effeminate fathers, and if everybody jumps on top of me for saying that well fair enough!!!

Who said anything about being plasterd, making a show of themselves and causing fights? At least read what you are quoting.

Hmm seeing as you said don't join me for beers or my shameless and vulgar behaviour would shock you......wonder how I jumped to that conclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What, and Hitler comes third? :confused:

And homophobia is gay. You can't catch or inherit homosexuality, you can't tell how promiscuous, annoying, or how good a parent somebody is going to be based on whether or not they like willies, and denying somebody the same inheritance, taxation and adoption rights as you just because you think the way they have sex is icky is absolutely ludicrous. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nah we're having a civil ceremony in a CASTLE! that's WAY cooler :) plus a ska band and a reggae dj afterwards.. and a cake with frankenstein + frankensteins bride atop.. should be rockin :)

Plus it would be VERY heretical - neither of us are even remotely religious..

Dude, that's awesome!
    Can I come?

I think you do see why. It because traditionally homosexual couples have never been afforded the same status as heterosexual ones. I'd expect that a family based around a heterosexual couple would very often be considered a more suitable family in which to raise a child than a family based on a homosexual couple, simply because it affords the child a more typical family in which to grow up.
    In fairness, people can be liberal all they like but I would have hated to grow up witout a mother and have 2 effeminate fathers, and if everybody jumps on top of me for saying that well fair enough!!!
    You don't have to be effeminate to be gay.

Affection and PDAs arent the same.

PDAs are more of a 'look at us' were in looooooooooooooooove

ah I getcha - people trying to be super cute couples.. funnily enough that doesn't bother me either. And neither did the time I saw over 100 large muscled men dressed in assless chaps + cop uniforms outside a gay cinema in Holland. Admittedly I laughed my ass off because it was a very bizzarre sight and you would never see it in Dublin.. but hell let em do what they want - I had no part of it except being an unwitting laughing bystander!

• Advertisement

Jim O Doom, I know many many people who can't stand the sight of PDAs. We are not talking hugging, holding hands here. We are talking full on slobbering all over each other or over emotional gushing i.e. tom cruise on couch...that kind of annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's a little unfair. I don't want to see any couples going at it on a park bench. How is that irratating?

I'm in my 30s and I've unfortunately never come across a couple of any persuasion having sex in public.

If you're talking about PDAs, they're annoying, but in my experience, they're not exclusive to any particular sexual orientation.

The depressing fact here is that, as ever, a lot of people are equating gay couples with overly sexual public displays when the real issue is that they are offended by seeing same-sex couples doing everyday stuff like holding hands or kissing in public.

No, I don't see why. Gay marriage was outlawed in the 4c (I think) by one of the early christian roman emperors. The fact that gay people are not allowed to marry etc has it's roots almost entirly in religion.

Do you assume that a couple made up of two men will not have any close female friends? Mothers? Sisters? It is important that children recieve influence from people of both sexes, but this can be got from other places than inside the direct family unit.

Is it wrong for a single mother to bring up her child? Or does the fact that she might have a father, male friends, brothers and possibly boyfriends during that time make up for it?

It is much much more important for a child to be brought up in a secure enviroment by people that love them and look after them than it is that they have two parents (of whatever sex).

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    basic biological design and historical experience indicate that sticking your cock up other mans arse is a way of propagating the species is not going to work.

has any gay person in history ever thought that doing that would propogate the species?-"You mean the pregnancy test came out negative again?We must be doing something wrong".the fact I'm gay is natural,i.e I was born that way.But I don't think anyone thinks this also means we should be able to bear children,somehow.

Hmm seeing as you said don't join me for beers or my shameless and vulgar behaviour would shock you......wonder how I jumped to that conclusion

Because I am unlikly to see any boards member outside a beers (That's what they call the meetups don-cha-know.)

Because I am unlikly to see any boards member outside a beers (That's what they call the meetups don-cha-know.)

sorry im not up on the lingo:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

exposed to gay people.. is that a pun?
    ah no seriously tho, my attitude will never change! ive been 'exposed' to gay ppl for years... and ive seen the corruption and chaos that follows with them and fightin their inner demons moreso... social nature that our 'rights' and 'freedoms' allowed it to persist in the first place. Back centuries ago if gay ppl where persecuted the way jews where there wouldnt be as many as there woudl be today.
    Damn fags. I hate how they just keep reproducing through butt sex.
    IT'S NOT NATURAL!!!!!
    No im not sayin its passed on genetically and i dont belive ppl are born gay.
    But les hypothetically say that centuries ago there was liek a culling of homosecual ppl ie witches style the repercussions of being gay would trickle on and on through centuries... and yes our civil liberties would all remain the same as we are all one and equal but if gay ppl want to marry then why dont they just do it online. It s wrong and you know its wrong, even the homosexual ppl that are reading this or are posting or have family or firneds and agree with it know deep down that its wrong.
    Witches are making a comeback. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft
    Careful now or they might put a spell on you that makes you want to have butt sex with men and have little butt sex babies.

Dragan wrote: »
    Why do i get the feeling that you and dellat are posting from the same IP address?

Also, don't tell me, or anybody else, what we do or should find wrong.

You just look like a retard.

How you can talk about oppression of someone choices and our civil liberties staying the same in the same sentence is beyound me.

You are slowly but surely ending up in the troll pile mate.

Attack the post etc.

why because my opinion doesnt agree with your opinion? i havnt used any slanderous or vulgar terms, yes im homophobic but i have alot of respect people and their lives and if there is a contradiction tahts because there's a contradiciton in all of us. Homosexual activity is a contradiction to life, the basic human nautre to procreate and reproduce.

what do you mean why do i care? thats just a silly statement, why does anyone care about anything? why does anyone have an opinion? or vote? because i live in this world. life affects life.
    Dude, if two blokes are going at it in the privacy of their own home, how does it have any effect on your life or the world you live in?

Hitler was a closet Jew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

And neither did the time I saw over 100 large muscled men dressed in assless chaps + cop uniforms outside a gay cinema in Holland. Admittedly I laughed my ass off because it was a very bizzarre sight and you would never see it in Dublin.. but hell let em do what they want - I had no part of it except being an unwitting laughing bystander!

Its amazing how the prevailing winds change in AH (not singling you out jim BTW)

Everybody was up in arms yesterday about the pyjama brigade!

you knew him????! :p
    Sesudra wrote: »
    but do you need see the HUGE cop out there?that its ok to dislike/be disgusted by gayness on an abstract level,but as long as you like a few gay people then its a-ok?Sexuality doesn't define someone as a person,true,but it is a part of them none the less,a part of them that you feel disgust for.Honestly,I dunno why your gay friends have someone they call a homophobe as a friend

i repeat, I NEVER said because i have gay firends that my opinion is either right or ok, I said it because I have experience with gay ppl and its not just to post here and discriminate against gay ppl that I started this thread.

and my gay friends are still my friend because they know while my views on homosexuality are against their own nature and views it does not define me as a person and i dont hate them for that and they dont hate me for that.

there was a point of this but all the kids talk has put me off track............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Is homophobia an actual phobia of homosexuals, or does it cover a simple dislike of homosexuality? If it's the former, then it's possibly the most miss-used word in the history of mankind.

Also, all that gay shit that gay people do is pretty gay if you ask me.

Jim O Doom, I know many many people who can't stand the sight of PDAs. We are not talking hugging, holding hands here. We are talking full on slobbering all over each other or over emotional gushing i.e. tom cruise on couch...that kind of annoying

yeah - I understand - but a bunch of people hate gay people - that doesn't make it acceptable does it? and a bunch of people hate black peopel too.. does that make that acceptable? nope!

What I hate about all this stupidity is that people are giving out and hating people who do nothing wrong. Either the sight of people doing something harmless annoys what I will call for now "the haters" or the very IDEA of something harmless between CONSENTING ADULTS.

Reserve you hatred for ACTIONS and the people who perpetrate them. People who do harm, to each other, within mixed sex couples abuse, people who kill, rob, rob the state, or even the politicians slowly flushing all our collective money down the jacks.

Hating someone or someones act, an act which is ultimately harmless is so pointless and wrong it makes my head hurt. The act does not involve you, it does not harm you or anyone else, so jesus god almight what's the problem.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement