Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homophobia

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭JacquesD'Ladd

I think gay people have the right to stand tall, raise their voices in pride, and be completely ignored like the rest of us.

Straight people have totally bolloxed up the entire idea of marriage, why not let another group have a go at it!

r

another blasé attitude, which is symptomatic of our unfortunate gutless society today. Sadly there are many people browbeaten by hysterical loons on marches, and who have succumbed witlessly to this overt gay agenda. A sad transvestite presents 'Telly Bingo' just as the children come home from school, Podge and Rodge take the mike out of priests on the day the Pope warns of the dangers of homosexuality to the planet. Too many have allowed themselves to be duped by the weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

another blasé attitude, which is symptomatic of our unfortunate gutless society today. Sadly there are many people browbeaten by hysterical loons on marches, and who have succumbed witlessly to this overt gay agenda. A sad transvestite presents 'Telly Bingo' just as the children come home from school, Podge and Rodge take the mike out of priests on the day the Pope warns of the dangers of homosexuality to the planet. Too many have allowed themselves to be duped by the weird.

Fred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Oh man.

I'm going to make a joke about homogeneous polynomials.

Homogeneous polynomials are scary.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol, conspiracy theories forum is that way ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I'm glad your blasé response was there to set me straight. There is no degree of browbeating on my part, I'm saying that this over the top, kind of thing, and I'm saying that the equal rights thing comes into in terms of 'being ignored like everyone else.'

Yeah there's a lot of weirdos on TV but I'm not going to take a mainly entertainment oriented medium too seriously or let it affect my judgement on these issues.

Your broad, paranoid statements are rather questionable I would say. You religious lunatics need to sit down and shut up for a while and let GROWN UP ADULTS make their own choices and keep you fu_kin nose out of it tbh. What business is it of yours, what right do YOU have to dictate whether a loving couple gets married eh?

Succumbed witlessly? How can you make that statement? How do you know? DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU'VE THOUGHT MORE ABOUT THIS THAN OTHERS, THAT YOU ARE SOME HIGHER POWER? HAHAHAHA. Ah I needed that. Grow up.

r

P.S. The conspiracy theories forum is that way so you can continue to investigate the Masonic, Illuminati, JFK, Elvis, 911 GAY CONSPIRACY that ALL of us know about EXCEPT YOU.

Lordy there are so weirdos right here mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Iv worked with gay people( IN A PROPER JOB DONT GET ANY IDEAS :) ) and had no problem with them what so ever.
    Doesnt mean i would go with a pint with them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

nuxxx wrote: »
    Iv worked with gay people( IN A PROPER JOB DONT GET ANY IDEAS :) ) and had no problem with them what so ever.

What's to say they want to go for a pint with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

What's to say they want to go for a pint with you?

I've had some of the best nights out ever with gay lads and ladies, nuxxx has no idea what he's missing.

YOU ARE SOME HIGHER POWER?

Did i give you that impression? thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Or treat marriage the way it is treated in France - ALL marriages are civil marriages (done at the town hall), and if the couple so wishes they can then have a religious blessing afterwards at their place of worship.

That's just gratuitously inconvenient for those seeking to get married in church. What's wrong with the current arrangement whereby the register can be signed in churches, mosques, synagogues etc. I think that's the most reasonable. Then others can get married in a registry office or other locations if they wish. Seems to encourage the most freedom.

Denial of peoples faith is regressive not progressive in legislation.

• Advertisement

Jakkass wrote: »
    That's just gratuitously inconvenient for those seeking to get married in church. What's wrong with the current arrangement whereby the register can be signed in churches, mosques, synagogues etc. I think that's the most reasonable. Then others can get married in a registry office or other locations if they wish. Seems to encourage the most freedom.

Denial of peoples faith is regressive not progressive in legislation.

Yeah let's just keep it gratuitously inconvenient for everyone who doesn't want to get married in church :rolleyes:
    Nobody would be "denying your faith" or stopping you having your wedding in a church, would you ever cop on

bluewolf: How is it? You can get married at any location you wish now according to new legislation or so I thought. PDN would be more of an expert than I am however. How is allowing choice restricting non-religious couples?

I have no reason to see why religious leaders cannot arrange to have the register signed at the location they are seeking the marriage to happen in. Having two ceremonies is really unnecessary. Hence why I think the Irish system is far better.

bluewolf: How is it? You can get married at any location you wish now according to new legislation or so I thought.
    only certain registered locations they're sticklers for, and I've heard of people being let down by it at the last min
    How is allowing choice restricting non-religious couples?

Everyone is subject to the law. Not everyone practices a religion.
    The former should therefore be the default, and anyone who chooses to practice religion can choose a church wedding as well.

bluewolf: How is it? You can get married at any location you wish now according to new legislation or so I thought. PDN would be more of an expert than I am however. How is allowing choice restricting non-religious couples?

I'd agree with you here. If people can get married anywhere they want then requiring them to do it in a registry office would be more restrictive

It wouldn't be denying your faith in any way though and I think some way of completely differentiating between legal marriage and religious marriage would be a good thing

Yes, but laws should be accomodating particularly concerning marriage. The Irish Government has a better policy than the French in accomodating those of religious beliefs. That's a positive I think, rather than a negative. I don't see why anyone would have any issue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Berty wrote: »
    I dont like Panda spread so I dont eat it. Other people like it so do eat it.

I only ask those people not to wave it in my face.

Panda spread is that chocolatey stuff that comes in a jar, right?
    Cos if its not, then something is seriously f***ed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dvpower wrote: »
    Panda spread is that chocolatey stuff that comes in a jar, right?
    Yeah, it's like Nutella but not as nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

You wouldn't go for a pint with them? Why not? Afraid you'll catch the "gay" :rolleyes:

This is really past the line. Gay people are no different from any straight person, and I'd be the first to tell anyone that. I personally disagree on certain issues, but that doesn't stop me from regarding them as fellow people. I don't see why anyone would not have a pint with someone of any creed, colour, race or sexual orientation if they were willing. Do you somehow think that if they sit down and have a pint with you that they will be automatically attracted to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I've been for pints with gay people. It's astoundingly similar to going for pints with straight people.

I have to say, you can't even tell they're wearing masks most of the time.

Do you somehow think that if they sit down and have a pint with you that they will be automatically attracted to you?

Well I am very attractive. Who could blame them

This is really past the line. Gay people are no different from any straight person, and I'd be the first to tell anyone that. I personally disagree on certain issues, but that doesn't stop me from regarding them as fellow people. I don't see why anyone would not have a pint with someone of any creed, colour, race or sexual orientation if they were willing. Do you somehow think that if they sit down and have a pint with you that they will be automatically attracted to you?

Its just my opinion, loads of people think the same as i do just wont post it, didnt expect such a backlash to be honest. Its nothing about being attracted to, this and that, its just for the majority of gay people iv met i wouldnt enjoy there company, nothing more to it.

Also i said i worked with them on a daily basic in a office envoirnament and got on the same as anyone else in the office with them, i never said there not fellow humans/people , of course they are

nuxxx: Ask yourself is that because they are gay or is that just because you don't get along with the individual. Also try replacing gay with black or Jew and see if it sounds reasonable in your head.

As I say I differ on opinion with most on the marriage issue, and on the ethics of it. Likewise a lot of them disagree with me on the religion issue. However that is no reason to hate anyone, and it's certainly no reason to refuse to be there or to even be friendly to others. I believe that irrespective of the traditional barriers that people put around social groupings that its important to have some contact to gain understanding and to prevent fear mongering. Would you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Tony EH wrote: »
    As to it being "natural" as somebody said, well that's just obviously wrong. Homosexuality, to speak in cold terms, is a twist in the psycho-sexual makeup that is against the natural sexual imperative (and yes there is a natural sexual imperative). And no, I am not saying that sex should be confined only to that imperative. But, it exists nonetheless.

Homosexuality is not a choice,you are not gay so how could you know?
    Why do you think someone would choose to be gay?

nuxxx: Ask yourself is that because they are gay or is that just because you don't get along with the individual. Also try replacing gay with black or Jew and see if it sounds reasonable in your head.

As I say I differ on opinion with most on the marriage issue, and on the ethics of it. Likewise a lot of them disagree with me on the religion issue. However that is no reason to hate anyone, and it's certainly no reason to refuse to be there or to even be friendly to others. I believe that irrespective of the traditional barriers that people put around social groupings that its important to have some contact to gain understanding and to prevent fear mongering. Would you agree?

Its not about not getting along, i did, on a daily basic and also in college with classmates. I would never disrespect them. I would stick to people who shared similar interests as me, be it sport wise or whatever. There is Black people in my college class who sometimes sit down beside me at lunch time and i wouldnt even think about them as any different to anyone else, we study together and work in class together as teams and aslong as they done have a problem with me or do something to upset me i dont have any problem with them, the same as any white person. I Treat both races equally.

Not really sure what your asking in your second paragraph, i dont have any problems with gays getting married, simply because it doesnt affect my life whatsoever. At the religion thing i have no problem either, unless they do something to provoke people. For example we had a english guy in our class last year, about 40, who in graphics class, continually drew Union Jack flags and made presentations about it/England. To me, in that case, im disliking the individual, and will stay away from him, but i dont have a problem with his race religion, but if there was 10 of them in the class,doing the same thing, i would start to ponder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Its not about not getting along, i did, on a daily basic and also in college with classmates. I would never disrespect them. I would stick to people who shared similar interests as me, be it sport wise or whatever. There is Black people in my college class who sometimes sit down beside me at lunch time and i wouldnt even think about them as any different to anyone else, we study together and work in class together as teams and aslong as they done have a problem with me or do something to upset me i dont have any problem with them, the same as any white person. I Treat both races equally.

So are you saying the reason you wouldn't go out for a drink with the gay people is because you have nothing in common,not because they are gay?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There is a conspiracy theories forum you can use to discuss the big gay conspiracy, leave it out of this discussion.

So are you saying the reason you wouldn't go out for a drink with the gay people is because you have nothing in common,not because they are gay?

Basically
    I wouldnt go to a poker tournament with a anti gambling person either
    and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Kerrio wrote: »
    Please sign the petition at www.TheRightCampaign.blogspot.com to legalise civil marriage for same-sex couples in Ireland.

Please sign, and tell others.

Thank You.

Is there any petition against this for me to sign?

Ye, the petition to say that petitions are actually worth signing and make any difference to anything. Think its closed now though, with a 100% NO vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Basically
    and so on

Do you always only go to the pub to have sex with women?*
    Cause otherwise that doesn't make much sense.

You probably have been for pints with people who are gay and you just don't know it. How does that make you feel?

*Assuming you're a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Why would you care? What's it to do with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Basically
    and so on

But i don't see how you feel you'd have nothing in common.

A gay person shares similar interests as straight people except what they do in the bedroom so you could easily get along with many gay people over a pint.

Nobody is defined by their sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

jaffa20 wrote: »
    But i don't see how you feel you'd have nothing in common.

A gay person shares similar interests as straight people except what they do in the bedroom so you could easily get along with many gay people over a pint.

Nobody is defined by their sexuality.

I suspect poor Nuxx is. Would make for a fairly boring personality, but what can u do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

dny123456 wrote: »
    Why would you care? What's it to do with you?

Maybe he has a homosexual partner who wants to get married but he doesn't and doesn't know how to break it to them so thinks the best way is to try make sure that he doesn't have to air his feelings :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

http://www.gendersanity.com/orlando.shtml

Because Gay people make it rain?

That's actually one of the craziest/most disturbing things I've ever read on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Homosexuality is not a choice,you are not gay so how could you know?
    Why do you think someone would choose to be gay?

Where the hell did I mention choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ray007

Gays, with all due respect, should keep it to themselves.

I have no problem with them, but I don't go on the streets telling everyone I am heterosexual, so why do they have to be so much in your face?

I can't take all that.

No offence

Ray007 wrote: »
    Gays, with all due respect, should keep it to themselves.

I have no problem with them, but I don't go on the streets telling everyone I am heterosexual, so why do they have to be so much in your face?

I can't take all that.

No offence

Really, think about it.

We are not all in your face. You only recognise the ones that are in your face as gay while the majority are not. So you wouldn't even know that they are gay.

It's just a stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck

it is so sad that in this day and age gay and lesbian peoples are discriminated against :(. They deserve all the rights that straight people get. I myself am bisexual, and don't suffer much discrimination, but its sick what some of my gay boys faced in school, and also how they cannot marry the one they love.

• Advertisement

Really, think about it.

We are not all in your face. You only recognise the ones that are in your face as gay while the majority are not. So you wouldn't even know that they are gay.

It's just a stereotype.

It's an accurate stereotype.
    Ray is right.
    Why do we have to endure the placards all over Dublin at present, telling us it's gay week in the theatres? Or why do we need to know at all? Is there a heterosexual week... or a march for the pride of being hetero? Notice I don't use the new word straight, which is only a definition of people relative to gays.... why should the majority be so defined relative to a minority?

There is a conspiracy theories forum you can use to discuss the big gay conspiracy, leave it out of this discussion.

Utter rubbish. You show a remarkable ability for missing the point. As I said, there is a lot 'in your face' at present, which is undeniable. What's in your face is explicitly seen, therefore it is not the stuff of paranoia, conspiracy or whatever else.
    And it is aggressive at that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Utter rubbish. You show a remarkable ability for missing the point. As I said, there is a lot 'in your face' at present, which is undeniable. What's in your face is explicitly seen, therefore it is not the stuff of paranoia, conspiracy or whatever else.
    And it is aggressive at that.
    Aggressive? Are you kidding me? Aggressive is the guys who hurl abuse and use violence at guys who just happen to like other guys. Aggressive is what causes young people to live in fear about being able to tell people what they truly feel.

A poster telling people about a few plays that may be of interest to them is not aggressive. Cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Why do we have to endure the placards all over Dublin at present, telling us it's gay week in the theatres?
    Because Absolut Vodka wants to get the most from its financial investment in sponsoring the Dublin Gay Theatre Festival. It's simply business.
    Or why do we need to know at all? Is there a heterosexual week... or a march for the pride of being hetero?
    Heterosexual privilege

It's an accurate stereotype.

Is as accurate a sterotype as the one of the irish as drunken, potatoe muching, sheep molesting leprechauns who'd start a fight in an empty room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

To be honest I haven't read through this post too much.

However, I'm a 40 year old bloke.

Married, mortaged, kids, etc

To be honest, the whole 'gay' thing has been around a long time.

When I was a kid they kept themselves to themselves.

Nowadays, it's different. They want 'rights' Why!!??????

They're not natural

They want real women to feel guilty about their shape!! WHTF!

They want to make women feel bad about themselves, and yet want to be 'friends' with them.

They are grand when they keep to themselves, but don't let them try to 'pervert' society.

ixoy wrote: »
    Aggressive? Are you kidding me? Aggressive is the guys who hurl abuse and use violence at guys who just happen to like other guys. Aggressive is what causes young people to live in fear about being able to tell people what they truly feel.

A poster telling people about a few plays that may be of interest to them is not aggressive. Cop on.

Once again someone takes the bait. Easy pickings.

Widespread and aggressive promotion of a marginal groups interests such that it becomes mainstream is overstepping it's area of interest.
    And aggressive encompasses more than mere physical violence.

I've only to refer to the new Miss California who dared to speak up for marriage as we currently know it. What happens? The organisers want to strip her of her title, and make a very public song and dance about it. Just a single item from this weeks news.
    The issue is if anyone makes any seemingly politically incorrect comment they are immediately harangued and shouted down. American basketball players have had to immediately apologise for comments made in the past, which although were ill-founded, still demonstrates the opposing forces should they dare to speak out.
    I happened to notice while looking through the TV listings during the week, Channel 4 had two day-time TV programmes (childrens TV), one was of a new UK rap-artist looking at other 'icons' who are gay, the other looked at the college environment for young people 'coming out' nowadays.
    Or look at the silly Neighbours kiss, Home and Away, whatever it was in.
    I hate having to delve into trashy TV, trashy theatre, etc, but that's where the trash itself appears to be.

Cop on, you say? Would you like to reconsider, more carefully this time?

Once again someone takes the bait. Easy pickings.

Widespread and aggressive promotion of a marginal groups interests such that it becomes mainstream is overstepping it's area of interest.
    And aggressive encompasses more than mere physical violence.

I've only to refer to the new Miss California who dared to speak up for marriage as we currently know it. What happens? The organisers want to strip her of her title, and make a very public song and dance about it. Just a single item from this weeks news.
    The issue is if anyone makes any seemingly politically incorrect comment they are immediately harangued and shouted down. American basketball players have had to immediately apologise for comments made in the past, which although were ill-founded, still demonstrates the opposing forces should they dare to speak out.
    I happened to notice while looking through the TV listings during the week, Channel 4 had two day-time TV programmes (childrens TV), one was of a new UK rap-artist looking at other 'icons' who are gay, the other looked at the college environment for young people 'coming out' nowadays.
    Or look at the silly Neighbours kiss, Home and Away, whatever it was in.
    I hate having to delve into trashy TV, trashy theatre, etc, but that's where the trash itself appears to be.

Cop on, you say? Would you like to reconsider, more carefully this time?
    To be honest I haven't read through this post too much.

However, I'm a 40 year old bloke.

Married, mortaged, kids, etc

To be honest, the whole 'gay' thing has been around a long time.

When I was a kid they kept themselves to themselves.

Nowadays, it's different. They want 'rights' Why!!??????

They're not natural

They want real women to feel guilty about their shape!! WHTF!

They want to make women feel bad about themselves, and yet want to be 'friends' with them.

They are grand when they keep to themselves, but don't let them try to 'pervert' society.

Perhaps you two should hook up.

You share a lot in common.

Perhaps you two should hook up.

You share a lot in common.

I forsee a lot of angry sex in that relationship......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I say again that anybody that argues against a woman's natural shape should be villified intensely.

What do you 'gays' want???

All women to look like 12 year old boys???!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder there's so much insecurity amongst women nowadays:mad::mad::mad:

You 'gay lads' want to be their 'friends'

It makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach, you people wanting ' rights'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement