Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat release Problem

• 20-03-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭

On cb400, barrel is gone for the seat lock. Took off side panel and can't find anything to release the seat, no cable or anything. anyone have any ideas how I can get at the under seat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

TheDriver wrote: »
    anyone have any ideas?

When you say the barrel is "gone" I take it you mean it's key-inoperable in some way? If so then one way to sort things is to remove the barrel altogether so as to get at the mechanism that operates the latch that's holding the seat closed. It means the barrel is gone forever but the latch will still work. You could always pick up a new unit in a secondhand yard if it mattered to you that much.

A "barrel-popper" the beloved tool of the bike-thieving brigade, is a simple enough bit of kit to knock up if you've any access to a welder (or fancy nipping by any metal fabrication shop with the bits and a tenner)

Let me know if this is your problem first though..

thanks but the barrel is actually totally gone, I took off the side cover in the hope of finding the latch mechanism but there is nothing there. So I now need to find how do actually take the seat off through nuts and bolts?

thanks but the barrel is actually totally gone, I took off the side cover in the hope of finding the latch mechanism but there is nothing there. So I now need to find how do actually take the seat off through nuts and bolts?

The barrel refers to a cylindrical componant about the diameter/ half the length.. of your little finger. It slides into the body of the lock mechanism proper (which includes the latch) and into which you insert your key. The lock mechanism is bolted to the frame but those bolts typically can't be accessed with the seat in place.

When the barrel is turned by key, it's rotation activates the latch mechanism. If it's just the barrel that's gone then look into the hole where it used to sit. Right down at the end will be a way to activate the latch mechanism by rotation action. Usually it's a slot into which you can insert a plain screwdriver.

Photo perhaps?

will put up a photo to see but basically the barrel where the key would go is just simply gone and all thats left when I remove the panel is the metal frame for where the barrel would go and nothing that the barrel (latch) could be connected to, thats where I am stuck. Just to make sure we are not at cross purposes, I will get a photo tomorrow when its bright. Thanks for the help so far!

• Advertisement

My pleasure.

got it sorted, cable for the latch was stuck under the seat but a screwdriver got it released

got it sorted, cable for the latch was stuck under the seat but a screwdriver got it released

*thumbs up*

Advertisement