Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Chocholate Bars Shrank?

• 20-03-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting here eating a Toffee Crisp with my tea, and its a fairly pitiful offering. Have chocolate bars shrank over the years, or am I just bigger?

EDIT Bah I cant spell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Shrank, definitely.

Same with ice pops/creams.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Some bags of crisps come with literally 10 crisps inside it, There pumped full of air to look full... Snakes!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Found a giant sized Lion-bar in shop on Baggot St. yesterday... was over the moon.. will be investing in boxes of them i thinks... Cant remember what the wording on the package was but i think it was something like "Big Bite" or similar...

But ya they have definitely shrank!... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I used to think Mars bars were huge when I was 6 because I needed two hands to carry one. Now they slip between my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yep they most definetly have. The most obvious one is Fry's Turkish Delight. While it was never a massive bar to begin with it's tiny now compared to what it once was.
    Do you remember the BIG Mars bar you used to buy, they did away with that and replaced it with the Mars bar duo, which is considerably less than the old big one (can't remember what the correct name was).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Oh I just rememberd the worst of all!....Walnut Whips no longer come with a proper walnut on top, now all you get is a miserable shard off a walnut, and the damn things are probably nearly a quid. Tight fisted gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,395 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, have noticed tha with bars alright.While at the same time, charging 90cent for one is ridiculous too. Toffee Crisps are always the example I use too....have knocked off a fai chunk of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

zuutroy wrote: »
    I'm sitting here eating a Toffee Crisp with my tea, and its a fairly pitiful offering. Have chocolate bars shrank over the years, or am I just bigger?

EDIT Bah I cant spell

Are you sure it wasnt a Fun Size bar? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Mushy wrote: »
    Toffee Crisps are always the example I use too....have knocked off a fai chunk of them.

Damn that John Delaney ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

replaced it with the Mars bar duo, which is considerably less than the old big one (can't remember what the correct name was).

Aren't they just incidentally called 'The Big One?' At least the big Snickers and such are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Ladies, gentlemen, this is natural economic progression. The cost of raw materials has increased, as has other production overheads, and, well, the desire for profit also.

Therefore, the producer wishes to transfer these costs onto the consumer. How best to do this? By increasing the price. But a straight price increase would have a detremental effect on sales. Therefore, producers increase the price without increasing the price, i.e. they decrease the size of the product on sale.

This, I'm afraid, is standard marketing/pricing policy. Lookup a guy called John Winkler & his articles/books on pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Do as Bill Bailey suggests, get 4 Kit Kat chunkies and stick 'em together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, you know they've shrank when you have all the excess wrapper on either side of the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some have, some haven't wikipedia usually has info on wieghts and changes over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Creme_Egg
    When first introduced in Britain, the original Cadbury Creme Egg weighed 40 grams (1.4 oz) and contained 171.6 Calories.[1] Cadbury Creme Eggs sold in the UK and Canada have remained at this size, but those sold by Hershey's in the United States have decreased in size since their introduction - before 2006 they are listed with a weight of 39 grams,[2] while today they are listed at 34 grams.

Creme eggs are a common one claimed to have gotten smaller, it is only your hand getting bigger, esp. as you only saw them once a year. So it is like a nephew who appears to have shot up overnight, the creme egg when you were 9 might have seemed bigger than 1 year on.

I remember my mother putting creme eggs in eggcups on easter sunday, and putting tissue in the bottom to lift them up, while I have heard people swear on their life they used to fit in normal egg cups and were the size of regular eggs. (and they said they were not confusing with kinder).

Lots of mulitpack bars have gotten smaller, I had fruit & nuts that were around 42g. And since mulitpack bars are so much cheaper these days many people only get mulitpack bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm nearly sure Curly Wurlys have gotten smaller, they're bloody tiny now and also much more difficult to get then when I was young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

The smaller they got the dearer they got.!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yup definately smaller.

There is a correlation between this and all wars. Bigger bars more peace.

Advertisement