Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green bin gone missing..again

Options
  • 20-03-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

The house I rent out has had the green bin stolen during the week when it was put out for collection. This is the third time now in about 3 years. Any ideas on trying to prevent this? Was told that the cost of a new one will be added to the waste bill. It is 30 euro or so, I think, but they didn't charge before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Put a unique paintjob on it.
    Thats about all you can do.
    If someone wants to steal it to throw it in a river or on a fire well then the paintjob will make no difference. If its someone looking to save themselves getting a new one, it might be a deterrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

most of the time kids steal them bring them to where ever they're drinking for the night and set them on fire.

not sure how you can prevent that.

if it's someone in the estate or a neighbor etc maybe the unique paint job might put them off but in my experience it's usually kids on a cold night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Lock the next one to something?
    Won't help if it gets nicked from the street while it's out for collection, but if it's nicked from the driveway you can put a stop to it by locking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Lock the next one to something?
    Won't help if it gets nicked from the street while it's out for collection, but if it's nicked from the driveway you can put a stop to it by locking it.

it's kept locked away until collection day and was left out all that day.
    i'll check maplins for a cheap homing beacon track the fcekers down.
    Is it possible to use bags instead of the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

keep it out of site , ppl tend not to take notice if it's not within site
    http://www.blueworldgardener.co.uk/additional_images/anchorfast/anchorfast-BIN-COVER-OPEN-9360375-oscom.jpg

something like this , but you don't have to go to this extreme , just cover it with something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Kenno90 wrote: »
    keep it out of site , ppl tend not to take notice if it's not within site
    http://www.blueworldgardener.co.uk/additional_images/anchorfast/anchorfast-BIN-COVER-OPEN-9360375-oscom.jpg

something like this , but you don't have to go to this extreme , just cover it with something

But as the OP said, it gets nick when it is left out for collection, other than babysitting it, nothing can be fone on this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

You could slip your bin man a few quid and ask them to put your bin well back inside your driveway (if you have one) or at least out of sight or put your bin next to someone who does have a driveway and ask them if its ok to have yours put with theirs until you get home.

The bin men in my area kept leaving our green bin literally on the road which was a hazard as its a main road so after a quick chat they put it at my gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sweetie wrote: »
    The house I rent out has had the green bin stolen during the week when it was put out for collection.
    We had Greyhound chew up our Green bin (fell into the back of the truck, witnessed by myself and neighbour on an outside fag break) then had Fingal and Greyhound deny that it ever happened.

Thank God for competition as I'll be switching from Greyhound/Fingal fairly soon after Fingal CC admitting it was their collective mistake, yet failing to provide us with a new green bin.

Advertisement