Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat 1.9tdi 130bhp - Fuel Economy? Is this one good value?

• 20-03-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Anybody have one of these?

Im thinking of buying an 05 and just looking for a feel for mpg

I will be doing 700miles per week approx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had a similar engine in an A4 and was doing long trips daily. You'll probably get anything betwen 600-700 miles from a tank of diesel. Great engine but noisey when cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bear in mind that the 1.9 130 will be the old shape, as that engine isn't in the new shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eddie-n07

Side by side id take the old shape anyday!

If you're thinking about the new shape try and go for the 2.0TDI.It's far superior to the 1.9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The old model looks very dated and the 1.9 is an ancient unrefined engine. That said, both these factors should mean that the old model should be cheap as chips to buy now!

• Advertisement

Iv been watching this;

05 VW Passat Highline 1.9tdi (130 bhp) €11,950
    47000 miles

Reputable dealer maybe 1 year warantee

Want to trade in my 02 1.4 VW Bora Base against this
    - Hoping to get €4K. Is this realistic? (those of you in the know)

Hoping to get a deal at around €8,000

I know there are cheaper similar out there but this jumps out!

Any help greatly appreciated

It's not that cheap and the milleage seems very low for a 4 year old diesel.

Any links?

You're trading in a VW 1.2 Base? What Model is it (A Polo I presume)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

does the 2L bring you into the next tax band ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

voxpop wrote: »
    does the 2L bring you into the next tax band ?

Yip, €614 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Threads merged

€12k for the old model with the old engine? That's mad.

eddie-n07 wrote: »
    Side by side id take the old shape anyday!

I hated the old shape from the minute it was released as a face lift in 2001. But aside from looks, the new one is dynamically far superior to the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is not a Highline model, looks like a UK spec SE model. €12k is too much, you can buy a new shape Irish model for similar money these days. You should be paying no more than €10k max for an old shape 05 Passat at this stage.

With that very low mileage I'd want to be seeing a full service history and ringing around the garages that serviced the car to verify the mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Spend a few quid more and bring a Bluemotion in from the UK, map it to around 135 bhp and you'll get over 1000 miles to a tank :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

jamesO wrote: »
    Spend a few quid more and bring a Bluemotion in from the UK, map it to around 135 bhp and you'll get over 1000 miles to a tank :D

Eh,no you wont...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Bought an 05 2 litre tdi sport myself in the UK in Nov, All in 16500 Euro, 37K on the clock from a main dealer in B ham, great car, go`s like a dream.
    140 BHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

I have had a 01 for the last 4 years.

Great car the 130 6 speed it was a uk import sport model nicest alloys and lots of extras.

On long trips I was getting 650 miles to a tank 60 to 63 litres, even though I never drove easy. Climate control never seemed to make much difference just left it on auto 22 all the time.

108k miles on it now and still feels solid as a rock. Best car I ever owned.

If you buy make sure and insist they do the timing belt and water pump.

Go for a sport or highline.

Bought an 05 2 litre tdi sport myself in the UK in Nov, All in 16500 Euro, 37K on the clock from a main dealer in B ham, great car, go`s like a dream.
    140 BHP

That wasn't cheap, but I agree on nice car especially the sport model.The 2.0TDI is the way to go also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Brother in law bought an 08 passat tdi bluemotion from the north for just over €16,000 inc vrt etc. Main dealer.

Last november I bought an 03 1.9tdi passat with 97,000, fsh etc for €6,000
    very happy with it apart from one major issue, the B5 and B5.5 passats tend to leak water into the interior and can do serious damage with electrics (ccm module is under the passenger seat) and the brake servo (plenum area fills up with water when the drains get blocked).

If you are buying a 98 - 05 passat check for any signs of moisture in the car (boot, under seats etc), as it is a major pain in the arse to rectify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

eddie-n07 wrote: »

You should ask him why he is advertising it as a 130 bhp when it only has red I on back 110 bhp(not red di). Unless he has thrown a tuning chip into her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

ya that reaks of a remapped 100bhp or 110 bhp. nice spot

Just after a quick search there. This in my view would be far better value http://www.usedcarsni.com/13493002. VRT comes in at 2000 (statistical code 41086162)Its a far nicer model and for the sake of a day trip would be down here for the 8000 incl VRT which is whay you're willing to spend with that dealer. You still have your bora to flog then to knock the price down again. I dont think you'll get anywhere neear 4000 for a base bora with a dealer. I cant sell mine for 4500 and its a sport tdi. just ny 2 cents??

EPM wrote: »
    Eh,no you wont...

Eh yea me is, me has one dude, she's running 70.2 mpg with easy driving and 56.1 with hard driving.
    The bluemotion 2 is even better about 4-5mpg more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Eh yea me is, me has one dude, she's running 70.2 mpg with easy driving and 56.1 with hard driving.

So you're saying that a new 2.0 tdi 110 brake passat will return up to 75mpg average on a tank? Not a hope of 1000 miles out of a tank in real world use

pipsqueak wrote: »
    You should ask him why he is advertising it as a 130 bhp when it only has red I on back 110 bhp(not red di). Unless he has thrown a tuning chip into her

No 110 model in the B5.5, only 100 and 130. The badge colour doesn't matter, it varied too many times to be any guage of what's under the bonnet.

You is dreaming, or you is bad at maths.

skibum wrote: »
    Brother in law bought an 08 passat tdi bluemotion from the north for just over €16,000 inc vrt etc. Main dealer.

Last november I bought an 03 1.9tdi passat with 97,000, fsh etc for €6,000
    very happy with it apart from one major issue, the B5 and B5.5 passats tend to leak water into the interior and can do serious damage with electrics (ccm module is under the passenger seat) and the brake servo (plenum area fills up with water when the drains get blocked).

If you are buying a 98 - 05 passat check for any signs of moisture in the car (boot, under seats etc), as it is a major pain in the arse to rectify.
    my missus has 03 passat and the floor under drivers seat lately is absolutely soaking, why is this?? couldnt believe how much water there was, how can it can be sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

pipsqueak wrote: »
    my missus has 03 passat and the floor under drivers seat lately is absolutely soaking, why is this?? couldnt believe how much water there was, how can it can be sorted?
    You should start a new thread rather than hijack someone elses, but as you are in dire need of sorting this..... you must immediately dry out the car, use heaters or whatever to get the water out of there. There is an electronic module down there which can be damaged. I think a blocked drain pipe is causing your issues. Open the bonnet, there is a drain under the plastic scuttle panel, around the middle, which can be blocked. Leaves n sh1t. Same goes for drains from sunroof. Check your coolant levels in case the heater is leaking.

Seriously - sort that now.

You should start a new thread rather than hijack someone elses, but as you are in dire need of sorting this..... you must immediately dry out the car, use heaters or whatever to get the water out of there. There is an electronic module down there which can be damaged. I think a blocked drain pipe is causing your issues. Open the bonnet, there is a drain under the plastic scuttle panel, around the middle, which can be blocked. Leaves n sh1t. Same goes for drains from sunroof. Check your coolant levels in case the heater is leaking.

Seriously - sort that now.

fair enough thanks, ill have it into mechanics tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

DaMonk wrote: »
    ya that reaks of a remapped 100bhp or 110 bhp. nice spot

motorcheck.ie says its a 130bhp, from what i understand those badges are put on by the dealers and if their short one particular colour they just throw on whatever colour they have! Maybe somebody could confirm this?

master-d wrote: »
    motorcheck.ie says its a 130bhp, from what i understand those badges are put on by the dealers and if their short one particular colour they just throw on whatever colour they have! Maybe somebody could confirm this?

I'm not going to speculate as to how the badges get on the cars, but I will give this piece of info as fact. The colour of the badges has feck all to do with th engine in the car when it comes to Passats beyond 1999 or there abouts.

thats not true in fairness. I know there's a good few dealers who'll fire on any badge but you can generally follow the system on it. it was put up here before and its too late to go lookig but there definitely is a system there, even if a few dont follow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It took me nearly 3 months to find the right passat. Four out of four the passats I went to see all had the red DI and they all meant NOTHING. Do not go by them, or the ones on the car engine. I ended up getting my car from the UK with a full service history. Not one passat I looked at in Ireland had a FSH and I doubted there was much of a service history on any of them. All smoking and alignment was usually off. Just lots of tell tale signs in general that they were driven hard down ****ty Irish back roads.

There is a sticker in the boot which gives an indication of the power. It's in KW so just multiply it by 1.33 for a rough BHP idea. You will be looking for a 98KW sticker for the 130.

EPM wrote: »
    So you're saying that a new 2.0 tdi 110 brake passat will return up to 75mpg average on a tank? Not a hope of 1000 miles out of a tank in real world use

Ohh yes now remember it's a bluemotion and it's remapped to 135bhp running 71mpg on easy driving and 56mpg with hard driving, you seem to have a problem understanding this, bless?

ps. anyone on here got a bluemotion passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

You should scrap this idea and buy an Audi S4, I know where there is one for sale, 99 REG sweet car...

CS

• Advertisement

Ohh yes now remember it's a bluemotion and it's remapped to 135bhp running 71mpg on easy driving and 56mpg with hard driving, you seem to have a problem understanding this, bless?

ps. anyone on here got a bluemotion passat?

You are wrong, and if you give me your Passat for a week I will prove it beyond all doubt.

DaMonk wrote: »
    thats not true in fairness. I know there's a good few dealers who'll fire on any badge but you can generally follow the system on it. it was put up here before and its too late to go lookig but there definitely is a system there, even if a few dont follow it.

It is true, I know it for a fact.

Biro wrote: »
    It is true, I know it for a fact.

You seem to know a lot!! What about the Pug 308 HDi it does 1980 km's to a tank standard, or will you disagree with that as well. :D

going back on this, I found the post I was referring to which I think is the probable way they are meant to be set up. If it differs sometimes,fair enough but this correlates with 95% of what I've seen;

Passat model 1997 - 2001 (B5)

TDI - 90bhp (Non PD engine)
    TDI - 110bhp (Non PD engine)
    TDI - 115bhp (PD engine) -->Late 2001 the only PD engine in the B5's

Passat model 2001 - 2005 (B5.5 - facelift)

TDI - 100bhp (PD engine)
    TDI - 130bhp (PD engine)

You will also see plain silver TDI on some passats of this generation I can only guess they are 100bhp.

The TDI on golfs and Bora's after 2001 is either 115hp or 130hp PD, there is nothing to distinguish them.

The all red TDI was available on the golf and bora but not passat and is 150hp on the PD engine.

THe GT TDI is also 150hp pd but the spec is higher with GT interior and larger brakes, 6 speed box etc. Very similar to the Bora Sport spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had a new 130bhp PD engined Passat in 05. Rep use, Tiptronic, never got better than 38mpg out of it. Fine car though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I too have a new-model passat, late 05, which has a 1.9 tdi, 105bhp engine.

the display reads out in l/100km (wish I could change it to read mpg...) but the BEST i've gotten is about 52mpg, open road, between 100 and 120 kmph speed.

normal fuel consumption is arounf 45-45mpg, which is pretty dissapointing I have to say...especially as a friend has a 04 2liter tdi avensis and is getting 60mpg easily under the same conditions!

I have though about chipping it up to 130bhp, as it is supposed to improve fuel consumption..but I've a hard time believing this - more power and better fuel economy sounds too good to be true.

So overall a little dissapointed in the passats economy, but love the car overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

I just bought an '05 highline 1.9tdi 130bhp (old shape) 93k - 8000euro
    Love this car full leather, parking sensors, all the works.

Very pleased with fuel economy, first wk i got it 30euros in the tank brought me roughly 320miles
    Average almost 40mpg, on the motorway i could get up to 55mpg

Advertisement