Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ - veggie burgers?

• 20-03-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help me.

Am having a bbq tomorrow and some of the guests are vegetarian. I am looking for decent veggie burgers that will withstand being bbqd! I know you can do tofu skewers but due to time pressures that will not be possible so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Most veggie burgers dont make it on the bbq as they have lots of little parts that fall apart However you can cook them under the grill and I think the veggies will appreciate not having thir burger cooked where the steaks just left.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

if they like quorn or fake meat type things, tesco & dunnes have their own brand that will hold up well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Vegetarians often use the huge field mushrooms instead of beef in burgers. I'm sure they'd BBQ well if you brushed them with oil. Then they can add onion, tomato etc when they're putting them into buns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I usually whizz up chickpeas, parsley, coriander, cumin, garlic, onion and some chilli. You could add some roasted sweet potato or butternut squash too for extra 'stick-together-ness'. Just turn it once on the BBQ, and don't poke at it too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kmick wrote: »
    I think the veggies will appreciate not having thir burger cooked where the steaks just left.
    Yeah, they would have to be done first, a main thing about a BBQ is meant to be about the smoke from burning animal fats, so even if it was a freshly cleaned grill put on after their food is flavoured with burning animal fat. You could wrap things in tinfoil and do them, also try fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

hey, this is the recipe i use and it sticks together really well, but you definitly have to chill it for a few hours first otherwise it'll fall to pieces on the bbq.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2535/beany-burgers-with-basil-tzatziki

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭J-B

great thanks everyone very helpful!

am planning to do the veggie burgers first to avoid contamination!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my local butcher does great veggie burgers that work really veryon the barbie - you should ask your local butcher

Advertisement