Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROAD TO BERLIN

• 20-03-2009 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I lve looking around at other peoples training logs so I have decided to start my own and maybe some people might like to look at mine.

As you might be able to tell from the title I have entered the Berlin marathon on the 20th September 2009. Still a bit of time to go before the big day.

I have been running about 5 months. I am not the quickest of runners but I enjoy it. In June 2008 I weighed 19 stone 10 lbs. I now weigh about 14 1/2 stone. Still a bit to go before I get to my desired weight.

I have ran in two races the Dungarvan 10 in Feburary and the Ballycotton 10 in March. I did Dungarvan 10 in 91.50 and I did Ballycotton 10 in 89.03. A nice improvement because in Ballycotton I did a terrible final two miles.

I do all my training on grass so as to try and minimise injury. I do all my training by time spent and heart rate and by laps of the pitches. I don't know the lenght around the pitches beacuse there are a couple joined together. But I try and run for a lenght of time and not distance and I record my average heart rate.

My training logs will have lap times and average heart rate.

Please feel free to ask questions, leave a comment or just throw abuse at me. I am open to everything.

There is another guy who runs the same nights as me so I do a few laps with him. But he is much quicker than me. He ran Ballycotton in 60.38. So way out of my league. But when I see him I will try and run a couple of laps with him at the pace he is doing then leave him go and do more later on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭OBWON

Long Run:

Lap 1: 7.31
    Lap 2: 7.26
    Lap 3: 7.32
    Lap 4: 7.29
    Lap 5: 7.42
    Lap 6: 7.46
    Lap 7: 7.48
    Lap 8: 7.51
    Lap 9: 7.49
    Lap 10: 7.47
    Lap 11: 7.49
    Lap 12: 7.44

Total Time 92.18
    Avg HR: 159

As I said above I don't know exactly what distance I am more concerned about time on my feet and the HR.

Lap 1: 7.42
    Lap 2: 7.43
    Lap 3: 7.22
    Lap 4: 7.08
    Lap 5: 7.14

Total Time: 37.09
    Avg HR: 151

This run was shorter than I had planned but something came up and I had to leave. Run felt comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome OBWON. Best of luck with the training and wow well done on that amazing weightloss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

OBWON wrote: »

In June 2008 I weighed 19 stone 10 lbs. I now weigh about 14 1/2 stone. Still a bit to go before I get to my desired weight.

Wow, fair play to you. Looking forward to your log. Are you following any particular program ?

Lap 1: 6.19 (Ran 1st lap with friend who is much quicker than me but I think by running a couple of laps with him will also make me quicker)
    Lap 2: 6.59 (this was back on my own)
    Lap 3: 7.13
    Lap 4: 8.28 (stopped to tie shoelaces)
    Lap 5: 6.43 (again with friend)
    Lap 6: 7.13 (on own again)
    Lap 7: 7.26
    Lap 8: 7.12

Total Time: 57.38
    Avg HR: 153

I really enjoy running with my friend for a couple of laps because he really pushes me becaus on my own I don't run that fast so I think it is good for me.

• Advertisement

Lap 1: 7.15
    Lap 2: 7.09
    Lap 3: 6.30
    Lap 4: 6.29
    Lap 5: 6.37
    I ran laps 3,4,5 with my friend while he went off and did 10X400 repeats. I was very happy because first time I kept with him for 3 laps. Even though it was only his warm up it was way quicker than what I can run.
    Lap 6: 7.21
    Lap 7: 7.25
    Lap 8: 7.30
    I was tired after lap 5 so had to take the pace down a bit.

Total Time: 56.19
    Avg HR: 161

Bally8 wrote: »
    Welcome OBWON. Best of luck with the training and wow well done on that amazing weightloss!

Thanks very much Bally8. Appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the log.:D

Wow, fair play to you. Looking forward to your log. Are you following any particular program ?

A guy I know is designing me a training program when I meet up with him next so I haven't got it yet. When I do I will post it here.
    At the moment I run 5 days a week.
    Since the start of this week I am trying to make all of my shorter runs longer. I used to run Tuesday, Wed, Thur for 30 mins, Sat for 40 mins and Sun for 1 hour and take Mon and Fri off I am trying to change that.

This week I will start off with
    Sun: 90mins
    Mon: Swim
    Tue: 40mins
    Wed: 60mins
    Thur: 60mins
    Fri: Swim
    Sat: 60mins

As you know yourself when things pop up you will have to change your schedule.

I hope to be increasing these times spent on my legs most weeks.
    Correct me if you think I am wrong but I believe marathon training is all about time spent running.

I will also try and vary the paces of my runs so I am not running at the same pace all the time. Some quick and some slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi OBWON best of luck with your training and log
    looks like there will be a few of us in berlin this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

SUNGOD wrote: »
    looks like there will be a few of us in berlin this year

I'm seriously thinking about doing Berlin myself. I reckon the OH will have a fit though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck OBWON, you had me at Berlin. I'm also guilty of signing up for this one, its a fantastic marathon.
    As regards marathon training and time spent running/on your feet. Your right to a point, you should be content with building a base and with 18 weeks to go get a little bit more specific and perhaps find a marathon schedule thats right for you, alot of people on this site are HalHigden/Pfitzinger followers

I wasn't planned to do a run tonight but I have to work Sunday so I moved my long run to Saturday and my Saturday run to tonight.
    I tried to do 2 laps warm up and 2 laps cool down with 4 quick laps in the middle trying to go neg on all of the 4.
    Lap 1: 7.29
    Lap 2: 7.45
    Lap 3: 7.01
    Lap 4: 6.57
    Lap 5: 6.44
    Lap 6: 6.53
    Lap 7: 7.43
    Lap 8: 7.32

Total Time: 58.06
    Avg HR: 161 (81%)

I didn't like the lap 2 time would have liked it to have been closer to lap 1 time.
    I also didn't like that Lap 6 was slower than 5 really wanted it to be quicker. But I was happy that I competed it because I was a bit tired going out. Now the long run tomorrow to look forward to.

Moved my long run from Sunday to today so here it is.
    The legs felt heavy so I was expecting much after yesterdays hard run.
    Lap 1: 7.32
    Lap 2: 7.28
    Lap 3: 7.28
    Lap 4: 7.33
    Lap 5: 7.32
    Lap 6: 7.25
    Lap 7: 7.28
    Lap 8: 7.38
    Lap 9: 7.33
    Tried to push home for the last three laps but which had a bad efect on the last two laps
    Lap 10: 7.11
    Lap 11: 7.48
    Lap 12: 7.44

Total Time: 90.25
    Avg HR: 165 (83%)

I wasn't happy with the HR a lot higher than I wanted. But it may have been that because of last nights run.

Played 18 holes of golf 2-6 so I was taking a big chance going for a run at 6.30 but I said I would because I would have no other opportunity for the night to go for a run. So I set off and did 8 laps. Here are the times:
    Lap 1: 6.17
    Lap 2: 6.44
    Lap 3: 7.10
    Lap 4: 7.19
    Lap 5: 7.16
    Lap 6: 7.13
    Lap 7: 7.06
    Lap 8: 6.48

Total Time: 55:56

Happy with this time. Even though the laps time are a bit all over the place. I tried to fast start and finish fast.

Went for another run on the grass. Trying to run as much as I can on the grass as possible. So here was my 8 laps from tonight. The fastest 8 laps to date that I have done so I was very happy with that.

Lap 1: 6.58
    Lap 2: 6.32
    Lap 3: 6.26
    Lap 4: 6.27
    Lap 5: 6.33
    Lap 6: 6.47
    Lap 7: 6.51
    Lap 8: 7.07

Total Time: 53:46

Felt good today and was looking forward to run. Was happy with the run decided to go out faster than usual and go a bit slower with the last few.

Lap 1: 6.20
    Lap 2: 6.22
    Lap 3: 6.20
    Lap 4: 6.29
    Lap 5: 6.42
    Lap 6: 7.14
    Lap 7: 7.19
    Lap 8: 7.17
    Lap 9: 7.20

Total Time: 61.26
    Avg HR: 159(80%)

My internet connection has been down at home for ages so through pure laziness I haven't got around to get it fixed but it is finally fixed. Training has been going very well. Currently doing about 40 to 45 miles a week and hoping to increase that but still have plenty of time.

I have done two 13 milers the last two weekends in times of 1:59:54 and last weekend at 1:59:00. Happy enough with that and didn't feel under too much pressure with that.

I did the castlemartyr 4 mile road race last week did it in a time if 30:21. Very happy with that, my splits for the race were:
    Mile1: 7.34
    Mile2: 7.32
    Mile3: 7.46
    Mile4: 7.29

This is a sign that I am improving because about 2months ago I ran a mile has hard as I could and only got 7.50.

I then did the stride by the tide 4 mile beach race last night. The time wasn't too bad because you would expect it be much slower than road but I was very disappointed with my mile splits. Went out way too fast and paid for it later in the race.
    Mile1: 7.18
    Mile2: 7.55
    Mile3: 8.03
    Mile4: 8.08
    Total Time: 31:24

Just a quick question for the experienced boards members. Can a short 4 mile race like this be counted as speed work or not? Would be interested to know peoples views.

I did 7.2miles tonight on grass. Felt good today.
    Avg Pace: 8.23 min/mile
    Avg HR: 152

Tonight I ran the Mallow AC 5 mile road race. Nice course one or two small drags but nothing too serious. I again went out a little quicker than I had hoped for but the first mile was ever so slightly downhill. Here are my mile splits:
    Mile1: 7.14
    Mile2: 7.31
    Mile3: 7.45
    Mile4: 7.48
    Mile5: 7.36
    Total Time: 37.55
    Avg Pace: 7.34 min/mile
    Avg HR: 157

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

taking in to account the slight downhill starting off your splits are still fairly even.
    good stuff obwon

• Advertisement

SUNGOD wrote: »
    taking in to account the slight downhill starting off your splits are still fairly even.
    good stuff obwon

Thanks sungod. I was thinking about it afterwards and maybe it wasn't as bad as i had originally thought.

I did 8miles tonight on the road. There was a few from the club going on the road so I decided to join instead of go on the grass.
    Distance: 8miles
    Avg Pace: 8:07 min/mile

It was long run day today. Here are my details.

Distance: 14miles
    Total Time: 01:59:04
    Avg Pace: 8.30 min/mile
    Avg HR: 151

I couldn't believe how fast I ran in comparision to my other long runs to date. I must have just been full of energy today. Just putting this into perspective I ran ballycotton a month and a half ago n 89mins. For this I had an average hr of about 165. I know I have lost weight since then but I was shocked by that.

I did 8 miles tonight. Legs felt heavy after the 14 yesterday. But I was happy I did it.

Distance: 8miles
    Time: 66mins
    Avg Pace: 8.15 min/mile
    Avg Hr: 155

I am doing the BHAA 6 mile in Ringaskiddy tomorrow night so I did an easy run tonight on grass. The pitch where I ran was like a swamp but I got through it anyway.
    Distance: 6.4miles
    Total Time: 57mins
    Avg Pace: 8.54 min/mile
    Avg HR: 135

Just back from the 6 mile BHAA race in ringaskiddy. very tough course. There was a lot of pulls that take a bit out of you every time.
    The race was a big struggle for me. I knew I was in trouble when I did my 2 mile warm up. Legs felt incredibly heavy.
    After 1 mile in knew I was in trouble the legs weren't moving at all and it was a complete slog. The rain didn't help matters either. Here are my splits.

Mile1: 7.28
    Mile2: 7.44
    Mile3: 7.34
    Mile4: 7.48
    Mile5: 8.17(this mile was a disaster. couldn't believe it was so slow)
    Mile6: 7.56
    Total Time: 46.50
    Avg HR: 165
    Avg Pace: 7.48min/mile

Legs felt ok after the race yesterday so decided to go for a semi long run>

Distance: 11.34miles
    Total Time: 96mins
    Avg Pace: 8.27 min/mile
    Avg HR: 149

Well just ordered myself a Garmin Forerunner 305 off the internet. I hope it arrives soon.

I was fed up of driving the car after my run to see how far I had gone. I will be saving myself money on petrol.

• Advertisement

Legs felt incredibly heavy and tired tonight. I couldn't get going at all. I suppose after the race Wednesday night and doing 11 miles last night I couldn't expect much more. Tonights run was also on very soft and mucky ground.

Distance: 6.4miles
    Total Time: 55.32
    Avg Pace: 8.40 min/mile
    Avg HR: 149

Looking forward to rest day tomorrow.

Advertisement