Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROAD TO BERLIN

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

OBWON wrote: »
    Thanks woodle appreciate it. I was delighted last night but there will have to come a stage where the PB's stop so far every race I have done has been a PB. The rate of improvement will also have to slow down. So far I have done three 5 mile races. They were on the 23/04/09, 07/05/09 and last night. The three times have been 37.55, 36.47 and 35.07. So I am taking big chunks off my time for the moment anyway.

Very similar to myself, I went 37:30, 35:06, 35:04 and 5 months later 33:07, my rate of improvement has slowed down now or at least I think it has, I really don't know what shape I'm in. But keep up the good work and you'll still be getting pbs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭OBWON

Decided to do another cycle league on Thursday night in Glanmire. A bad idea because my legs were very tired after the race. So it was just a case of getting through it. It was short because it got started late

Distance: 12.61 miles
    Time: 41.19
    Avg Speed: 29kph
    Avg HR: 140

Went for a short early morning recovery run.

Distance: 3miles
    Time: 24.07
    Avg Pace: 8.03min/mile
    Avg HR: 151

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

I took part in a 5 mile road race in Glanmire. I was looking forward to this race because I hadn't done one in a while.

Distance: 5miles
    Time: 35.07
    Avg Pace: 7.01 min/mile
    Avg HR: 162

Mile1: 6.43
    Mile2: 7.08
    Mile3: 7.18
    Mile4: 7.04
    Mile5: 6.50

Happy with this because it was 1mins and 40secs off my previous best for a 5 mile race.

Just started following your blog OBWON, great result in race other night, glanmire isn't the easiest of courses. I ran it as well other nite.
    your 3rd mile time of 7.18 is very good, considering the tough hill that was at start of it!

The run this evening was a struggle. Just couldn't find my rhythm at all.

Distance: 7.04miles
    Time: 58.22
    Avg Pace: 8.17 min/mile
    Avg HR: 142

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    Just started following your blog OBWON, great result in race other night, glanmire isn't the easiest of courses. I ran it as well other nite.
    your 3rd mile time of 7.18 is very good, considering the tough hill that was at start of it!

Thanks very much tisnotover. How did the race go for you?

Thanks very much tisnotover. How did the race go for you?

Had a good one myself, clocked it at 32:54. delighted to get under 33mins, no "official" results yet!

Went for a semi long run this evening. Nice evening for a run but had a couple of scare's from dogs but nothing too bad.

Distance: 11 miles
    Time: 1.34.24
    Avg Pace: 8.32 min/mile

Did my run in the morning. Lucky I did because the evening turned nasty enough.

Distance: 8miles
    Time: 1.05.18
    Avg Pace: 8.09 min/mile

Windy evening for a run but at least it was dry so shouldn't complain.

Distance: 10miles
    Time: 1.22.47
    Avg Pace: 8.14 min/mile
    Avg HR: 139

• Advertisement

I am finding it difficult to get my heart rate at a higher level and sustain it. My resting heart rate is 39 if that has anything to do with it.

I am finding it difficult to get my heart rate at a higher level and sustain it. My resting heart rate is 39 if that has anything to do with it.

Looking at ure HR for your easy runs it seems fine to me av 140?and then in race last week it was av 160? thats to be expected
    have ya av hr for any recent tempo run.

I'm only starting to look at hr a bit closer myself, but your low hr during easy runs is def a good thing, especially with ure longer runs, good sign of fitness!

Looking at ure HR for your easy runs it seems fine to me av 140?and then in race last week it was av 160? thats to be expected
    have ya av hr for any recent tempo run.

I'm only starting to look at hr a bit closer myself, but your low hr during easy runs is def a good thing, especially with ure longer runs, good sign of fitness!

Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought but when I look at other peoples logs there hr rates for races can be in the 170s and easy runs higher than 140. Maybe it is just different for different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

It is different rates for different people. Have you worked out your max. I'm 30 and have a max of 205. I do my easy runs between 150-165 and a 5 mile race might record an aveage of 180-190. Hope this helps. On my own log I use percentages for the very reason that it can be misleading as everyone is different. If I went with the old theory of 220-age, my max would be 190 and not 205.

Woddle wrote: »
    It is different rates for different people. Have you worked out your max. I'm 30 and have a max of 205. I do my easy runs between 150-165 and a 5 mile race might record an aveage of 180-190. Hope this helps. On my own log I use percentages for the very reason that it can be misleading as everyone is different. If I went with the old theory of 220-age, my max would be 190 and not 205.

My max heart rate is 180.

My max heart rate is 180.

Hi OBWON, I remember reading something on this last week, have a look at following thread (reply from Tergat):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055588842

For those using HR monitors chek out the following. Heart rate varies, depending weather, fatigue, hydration status, and fitness level, so no perfect answer exists. However, here are some general guidelines:

Recovery (Slow) = about 72% HR max (your current max)
    Easy = about 77% of max
    Tempo = about 85% of max
    Threshold - about 90% of max
    CV = about 92.5% of max
    VO2 max = about 96-97% of max.

So easy paced for you works out at about 139 (off 180 max hr), which is what ure recording at the moment.

Hi OBWON, I remember reading something on this last week, have a look at following thread (reply from Tergat):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055588842

For those using HR monitors chek out the following. Heart rate varies, depending weather, fatigue, hydration status, and fitness level, so no perfect answer exists. However, here are some general guidelines:

Recovery (Slow) = about 72% HR max (your current max)
    Easy = about 77% of max
    Tempo = about 85% of max
    Threshold - about 90% of max
    CV = about 92.5% of max
    VO2 max = about 96-97% of max.

So easy paced for you works out at about 139 (off 180 max hr), which is what ure recording at the moment.

That is some very interesting reading tisnotover. Thanks

I took part in a cycle league last night. I am really not good enough to be doing it but I enjoy it anyway.

Distance: 18.85 miles
    Avg Pace: 29 kph

Tonights run was enjoyable because the second half on the run was done on a golf course.

Distance: 6 miles
    Time: 51.48
    Avg Pace: 8.37 min/mile
    Avg HR: 142

I decided to go for a hill run this morning. Something I had never done before. Lovely place for a run will do it again. Very peaceful at 7 o'clock in the morning.

Distance: 5.10 miles
    Time: 44.03
    Avg Pace: 8.38
    Avg HR: 147

On the hills my heart rate was getting up to 170.

• Advertisement

Nice warm evening for a run. Only thing was I got plenty of bugs in my face during the run.

Distance: 4miles
    Time: 31.00
    Avg Pace: 7.45min/mile
    Avg HR: 145

Nice warm evening run for a run. Felt a bit sluggish tonight.

Distance: 5miles
    Time: 41.21
    Avg Pace: 8.14 min/mile
    Avg Hr: 130

24/06/09

I did hill running this morning.

Distance: 5.23 miles
    Time: 46.19
    Avg Pace: 8.51
    Avg HR: 151

26/6/09

Distance: 5.02 miles
    Time: 39.12
    Avg Pace: 7.48 min/mile
    Avg HR: 150

29/6/09

Distance: 5.04miles
    Time: 38.32
    Avg Pace: 7.38 min/mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Where have you gone? you were making huge improvements, how is the training going now?

Advertisement