Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows on my Roof

Options
  • 20-03-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!!

First of all. that sould read Crows ON my roof

I am having major trouble with crows on my roof every morning. They come at dawn and make a fierce racket. It is so annoying. Pecking and stamping on the roof and gutters. it is really loud and wakes everyone in the house. We are at out wits end with them and its is really affecting my sleep.

I have tried clapping hands ans so on but they just come back.

What can i do to get rid of them.

P.S I live in an estate. and a semi D house

God i HATE crows!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Get some fox pee, cover roof in fox pee, fox pee scares off crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Contact rentokil - I know they have a special bird unit (maybe not called the bird unit though!) You can get those stips of spikes to stop the birds landing on your property. You can also get a net that goes over the building. I think it might be a bit expensive for the netting though.

Alternatively, get plastic covered bale of hay and paint a big white X on it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Hang a plastic bag near where they gather and the noise of the bag in the wind will scare them off.

whizzbang wrote: »
    Get some fox pee, cover roof in fox pee, fox pee scares off crows.
    How would you go about getting some fox pee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

kildara wrote: »

I'm more of an ideas man to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

What about buying an aul airsoft rifle or bb gun and firing at the bastards at dawn. You could stay up all night Friday until dawn and then open fire when the b*stards come home to roost. Not sure how legal this is, but sure you are doing the neighbourhood a service eh?

You could make a bird shooting morning of it with yer buddies. Stay up all night boozing, and then head out to shoot crows at dawn. Just the job for a Sat morn hangover.

What about buying an aul airsoft rifle or bb gun and firing at the bastards at dawn. You could stay up all night Friday until dawn and then open fire when the b*stards come home to roost.
    Reckon we could do that to scangers / neds / scumbags aswell?
    What about buying an aul airsoft rifle or bb gun and firing at the bastards at dawn. You could stay up all night Friday until dawn and then open fire when the b*stards come home to roost. Not sure how legal this is
    I dont think that would be legal. The SPCA wouldnt be long in letting you know how the law stands with regard to it.
    You could make a bird shooting morning of it with yer buddies. Stay up all night boozing, and then head out to shoot crows at dawn. Just the job for a Sat morn hangover.
    People used to do this to Aboriginal folk not that many years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Reckon we could do that to scangers / neds / scumbags aswell?

Why not, for the craic. Once the getaway was suitably effective.
    I dont think that would be legal. The SPCA wouldnt be long in letting you know how the law stands with regard to it.

I was thinking more along the lines of the illegality of discharging a firearm-like piece of equipment. I doubt it is illegal to shoot pests on your property once you are not being cruel to animals/birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

:( I sympathise, have the same problem with pigeons at the moment, only thing that worked for a while is brewing very strong coffee and throwing it all over their favourite spot, but the amount it rains in this country it's effortful.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Guys, violence is not hte solution to social problems.

dedon, you might be able to buy an imitation cat or owl.

Assuming you live in an urban area or near a road, use of firearms is not acceptable. Use of firearms around a house is dangerous enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wow. Erm.
    Don't do that.

Look lads, what'll happen is this: you'll get your bb gun through dodgy sources (because if you told the super what you wanted the licence for, you'd never get it). Then you'll shoot at the bird. Either you'll miss, or you'll hit it and the pellet will go right through the bird (if the latter, by the way, you've just broken the Wildlife Acts, but I'm more thinking of safety here, and you're in breach of the Firearms Acts already anyway). Next, the pellet will continue on its merry parabola over your house and out to anything up to a hundred yards away or so, at which point it'll hit some random, unseen, unwarned area, and if you're unlucky, some poor sod walking home. If you hit him, your pellet will penetrate skin and flesh and won't stop till it hits bone. If you hit an eye, he's lost it. If you hit a major blood vessel or organ, he's in dire trouble. And you're directly responsible.
    Go directly to Jail, do not pass go.

Seriously. Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As Sparks said, pellet guns are bad. That, and whomever you hit may know people with guns.

=-=

Get a device that emits a frequency that humans can't hear, but which will scare away the black birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the_syco wrote: »
    As Sparks said, pellet guns are bad.
    No, no, pellet guns are fine. On a range. At targets. With backstops.
    It's firing pellet guns into the air at random in urban areas that's bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kildara
    :D - classic! Anyway unfortunately i'm in the same position now - crows at 6am on the roof. Do plastic owls work and would you have to put them on the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

low power pellet gun firing the plastic rounds would be fine. I have one, at point blank range it doesn't even leave a mark. Only travels about 30ft. the feckin cats aren't even bother by it :mad:
    7 joules written on the side of it.

put a few rat traps on the roof and catch the bastards, they're just another form of vermin anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I know that to keep crows off thatched roofs in the country they hang a dead crow from the chimney/somewhere on the roof. Other crows won't come near.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

whizzbang wrote: »

There's a dot com for everything, the mind boggles, it really does..

www.predatorpee.com/predatorpee-collection.htm

All the Fox pee questions you might have are answered..

Now all you have to wonder about, is it legal to send bottles of piss through the Irish postal service.

Cookie_Monster, I presume you have a licence for that.
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Now all you have to wonder about, is it legal to send bottles of piss through the Irish postal service.
    An Post don't accept liquids, so you'd need a courier.

I imagine its easy enough to throw one of the fake cats up on most roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

birds/crows are not as stupid as people might think.
    putting up plastic owls, dead crows/cats might work for a day, they realise very quickly it's nothing threatening and are back on spot:) and where to get a dead cat/crow anyway???????

think previous advice to contact rentokil is best, and probably the metal sparks work best. might be expensive...
    but anything that would prevent them from landing is most effective, put wooden boards with nails up, dunno, use your creativity...:)

Victor wrote: »
    Cookie_Monster, I presume you have a licence for that.

why would I have a licence for it?
    Its a child toy. The airport had no issues with it in my bag either...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't usually recommend websites- but a colleague used this successfully: http://www.crowbegone.com/

Shane

so the next question is, how to you get rid of magpies, they sound like machine guns going off in the mornings :(

so the next question is, how to you get rid of magpies, they sound like machine guns going off in the mornings :(

Use a decoy?
    Example: http://www.amazon.com/ELK-INC-SQUAWKING-MAGPIE-PREDATOR/dp/B001689LTG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

tara73 wrote: »
    birds/crows are not as stupid as people might think.

Crows in particular are pretty smart (smarter than some people I know).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8023295.stm

Crows in particular are pretty smart (smarter than some people I know).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8023295.stm

indeed, there is somewhere in the states where they have learned to use traffic lights to break nuts. they drop nuts at junction and cars smash them as drive over. they then wait until the light is red to go down and collect them as they have learned it is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

You'd also have the cops at your door in no time flat......

Get some crows. :):(

Victor wrote: »
    Get some crows. :):(

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Magpies are a kind of crow.

Advertisement