Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Generic VS Brand Name Camera Batteries

• 20-03-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

I would like to go ahead and apologize now; if my question has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between “brand-name” and “generic” rechargeable lithium-ion camera batteries?

A “brand-name” Canon LP-E5 for the 450D can cost over $100.00 US dollars on-line; where as a “generic” can be found for as little as $10.00 dollars.

What does the extra $90.00 get you?

Does anyone have personal experience with the different types?

I don’t want to blindly believe some biased on-line article trying to promise me greater reliability in the brand-name product.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The extra $90 gives you the name Canon (or Nikon or Sony or ...) on the product. It means that they will stand by their product & you have quality assurance, although at a high cost.

If you get a generic battery then you have to rely on the reputation of the supplier.

I do use Generic Batteries & have found them to be as good as the OEM ones. I haven't bought them off eBay as that's where the quality can be very variable & it's a bit of a lottery. I order mine from 7dayshop who stand by their products & have a good reputation. I do not know of anyone who has got a bad battery from them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

One thing to watch for, according to post I saw somewhere yesterday (not boards.ie) on the Nikon Battery grip for the D90, if you put in some generic batteries, the camera may look at the voltage and decide that the battery is flat and won't use it. This is because it's measuring it by the standards of the official Nikon EN-EL3e battery so while the generic battery may be fully charged, if it's (e.g.) 0.5V below the level of a fully charged EN-EL3e, then according to the battery's metering system it's flat because it's showing the same voltage as a flat EN-EL3e.

The manufacturers of some generic batteries tell you the voltage (V) and power capacity (mAh) and you need to keep an eye on these specs. as they may not suit the camera or accesssory you plan to use, specifically the voltage may be just too low.

It doesn't usually matter with AA batteries, they just won't last as long but are otherwise 100% functional but in devices where more is expected of the battery (e.g. memory), the appliance may not like the battery and refuse to deal with it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I ordered two from ebay for a tenner (so €5 each) and have no complaints about them. they seem to be identical bar the 'Canon' print on the top and seem to hold their charge just as well as the one that came with the camera. I haven't benchmarked them accurately but one of them actually seems to outlast the Canon battery (though that's probably just perception due to different levels of usage of live-view, displaying of images, flash use etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not the lith ion variety but i've had very disappointing product in the NiMh world from unbranded stuff (source being eBay) - both in terms of the longevity and their capacities.

For me at this point its branded stuff all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I use ebay batteries for my 40d. Bought them after reading this article:

http://www.jaysphotography.org.uk/index.cfm/page/articles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I have used NP-E3 for my Canon 1D MKIIn purchased from 7dayshop, I have found them to be excellent at a fraction of the price of the Canon brand. Voltage and output are the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Overblood wrote: »

Good review but not exhaustive. The performance was great - yes...but as batteries are used and recharged they lose performance over time due to a buildup of resistance internally.

Cheap batteries often means resistance builds up quite quickly hence the life of the battery is shortened.

Having said all that they are cheap so worth a shot! (excuse the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Overblood wrote: »

Could anyone tell me where I could get a spare battery for the Lidl Traveler super slim xs8 i bought a few weeks ago. Can't find any battery details on traveler web site. Back of battery says D016-05-8023 3.7V sorry if I am in the wrong place.:(

Advertisement