Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clybaun hotel swimming pool & gym

Options
  • 20-03-2009 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with this? Been thinking of going to this one for a bit. Have been at the Ardilaun for a while but its a pain in the ass getting home in the traffic.

Whats this place like? Is it going to stay open with the hotel dieing? Is it a filthy dump or whats it like? I'll go in there to have a look soon but they'll just give me the sell and not the true story.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The gym is fine never mad busy (well not when we've gone) so you get to use the equipment you want (only complaint would be only 3 rowing machines). Joining there you also get membership to the other NRG place so you dont totally lose out if they do end up closing. The sales line is as the gym is not part of the hotel group even if the hotel closes they will remain open. Hard to see that working but on the other side they got new equipement in the last couple of months so maybe they will stay put if the hotel closes its doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Whats the story with this? Been thinking of going to this one for a bit. Have been at the Ardilaun for a while but its a pain in the ass getting home in the traffic.

Whats this place like? Is it going to stay open with the hotel dieing? Is it a filthy dump or whats it like? I'll go in there to have a look soon but they'll just give me the sell and not the true story.

Thanks.

Straight off the hotel is not closing it was doing the best out of all the hotels the dunne group had . It was the Dunne group who backed out not because the clybaun was doing bad, it was there other hotels. The Claybaun was then bought over by a local contracter, in fact he was the person who built it. The clybaun does excellent buisness at weekend with weekend city breaks.

Personal i'am a member and think it is (Since it has been done up) one of the top gyms in galway, with new equipment "2 gyms" one upstairs one down and numerous classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Have a mate working on the management team there and they are certainly not dying (which is more than i can say for other establishments in galway!)
    They are mad busy! Totally booked out.
    Dont know much of the gym except I hear its quite good and since its NRG your membership works in the other NRG gyms too afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

dont know bout the leisure centre but stayed in the hotel one night and although we got it quite cheap i must warn peope that it is the biggest f**cking dump ive ever stayed in (and ive stayed in alot of hotels), absolute nightmare, kept awake all night with noise and the breakfast nearly made me get sick.

i know this isnt about the hotel part, but when i seen it mentioned it brought up alot of bad memories and felt i had to say something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thanks for that.

Went in there and had a look, the pool is more of a big bath than a pool. Utterly useless for swimming, so unfortunately its out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

a big bath you say the biggest pool in Galway is 25 meters .. the clybaun is 20 .. so your telling me 5 meters would catgorise the clybaun as unable for swimming

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can sort of feel your frustration. I used to be a total swim head, and anything under 25m was a pain in the arse, however it's Galway and the biggest is 25m so ya just gotta deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I stayed there and though it was nice.

The steam room and pool are more than sufficient. I didn't use the gym while there so cant help you out from that angle.

I'd go down and see for yourself and make up your own mind. Some may love it and some may hate it. I thought the atmosphere was nice from what i can remember.

Advertisement