Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killers

Options
  • 20-03-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Can anyone become a killer if the right set of circumstances are in play or are there only a few people who are capable of actually commiting the act?
    Are some people born killers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm kinda afraid to give my opinion on this....

Why do you ask OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

nah, they're ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Milky Moo with this thread in AH. What? Not the right answer? Aw.

But to answer your question would need someone with a degree in criminal psychology..…....or by watching Trading Spaces. You know that Nature vs Nurture argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

pierrot wrote: »
    nah, they're ****e

I agree. Hot Fuss was a good album, but their new stuff stinks. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I'm not sure.
    if someone harmed my nieces I KNOW I would WANT to kill them but when it came down to it if I was looking down the barrel of a gun at them could I do it?
    Dunno; I think its something know-one knows until they are faced with it.
    If you're asking would certain people find it easier to kill....definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Watching a thing on oprah about a son who killed his family,the dad survived,the police had warned them before hand that he had made threats that he was planning to kill them(people who had heard him made the police aware of it)
    The dad seems pretty normal,they seemed to have a normal life.It just kind of brought the thought ito my head,are some people natural born killers and is it just a matter of time before they snap and do the deed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Everyone likes to think they'd never kill but I'd reckon nearly anyone has it in them if the right circustances presented themselves. It's all about limiting those circumstances with intelligence and lifestyle choices.

I can't remember where I read it but it went something like,the innocent always underestimate how hard it is to kill.
    You know because they would never try to attempt it so they just assume it is extremely easy for those that commit such acts,for some reason I think it is from harry potter :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Milky Moo wrote: »
    Can anyone become a killer if the right set of circumstances are in play or are there only a few people who are capable of actually commiting the act?

Depends on the method.

Signing a death warrant is pretty removed from the act.
    Dropping bombs from an altitude means you never see their faces.

But the premeditated killing someone face-to-face would be extreme and only someone with either no emotion (psychopathic), or very strong anger/fear would probably do it.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Milky Moo with this thread in AH. What? Not the right answer? Aw.

But to answer your question would need someone with a degree in criminal psychology..…....or by watching Trading Spaces. You know that Nature vs Nurture argument.
    Sorry it was professor plum in the library with the rope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can anyone become a killer if the right set of circumstances are in play

Behind keyboard answer: hell yeah.

Real answer: I don't really think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Since my boss has had Phantom FM on constantly in our small office for the last 5-6months, if I hear another song by "The Killer" I'm going to go on a Postal Killing Spree........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Going by the M50 toll thread in Motors forum it sounds like quite a lot of people are close to being driven to it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anyone who lives through a Brian Cowen era of government is a killer. **** us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Given the right situ. we can all kill someone, but it takes someone entirely different to murder someone.

Example, a friend of mine knocked down and killed two guys, other friend knocked down and killed a man. Totally accidents.

Another friend murdered a woman in a high profile murder trail, he tried to hide his crime for two weeks but was caught so he was clearly capable of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I have...
    JR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Everytime I knock one off... I get a guilty pleasure out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Can anyone become a killer if the right set of circumstances are in play or are there only a few people who are capable of actually commiting the act?Are some people born killers?

I dont think so. Some people would react differently than others given a certain set of circumstances.

From everything that Ive watched and read on the matter, for the likes of one-off murders, often would know their victim. For the sake of example, a husband finds out his wife has been unfaithful. There are varying degrees on how this is handled. Do you talk about it and get marital help? Do you gather evidence and file for divorce? Or, do you kill her?

Others are born 'damaged' with psychological capibility of killing repeatedly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The answer you seek, young Padawan, is to be found in the most excellent book "On Killing," by LTC (ret) Dave Grossman, a psychologist.

It claims to be the first book on the subject of 'killology', the study of killing. There are some minor flaws in the supporting arguments (for example, the reliance on the flawed SLA Marshall study) and I disagree with some of his conclusions in the final chapter on the effects of modern society, but as a psychologists's view on just what it takes to get someone to kill another, it is the definitive work.

He has a companion work directed specifically towards the military application, entitled "On Combat"

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Most poeple have it in them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I thought the idea of the military was to turn ordinary people into killers

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

if you were put in a certain position, for example, to save the life of your own child, it would be more instinctive

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pierrot wrote: »
    if you were put in a certain position, for example, to save the life of your own child, it would be more instinctive

totally agree it would be an automatic reaction to murder something which tries harm your children its caveman stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes honestly I think I could in the right circumstances. I would have the view that not all human life is sacred or valuable. There are many types of people I would have little issue pulling the trigger on, given the right circumstances. Of course in the case of self defence it wouldn't be any issue at all. That includes self defence of my property too. If it was legal to shoot and kill intruders I wouldn't give it a second thought TBH. So lucky it's not legal than. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Everyone's a potential killer. Just 99.999% of us don't actually kill anyone.
    Technically a soldier's a killer so if you look at WW2 for example all manners from people from farm workers to college kids to school teachers all became killers.
    As for myself if anyone ever harmed my family I'd quite happily kill them to prevent it from happening again. But it doesn't mean I go to kill someone.
    It all boils down to circumstances that affect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

There's alot of lady killers out there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Watching a thing on oprah about.....

Why the hell are you watching oprah???

And better yet.. why are you admitting it in public??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think eveyone has it in them to kill. If I had a gun and someone ws trying to attack me, I'd have no problem shooting them. I would'nt shoot to kill, just to incapacitate, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I did kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Technically a soldier's a killer so if you look at WW2 for example all manners from people from farm workers to college kids to school teachers all became killers.
    Actually, surveys of soldiers after the war showed that many could not force themselves to shoot at the enemy, they fired above them; and only a tiny fraction actually wanted to kill. Which is why the American army brought in the indoctrination/dehumanisation training as in "Full Metal Jacket".
    Piste wrote: »
    I think eveyone has it in them to kill. If I had a gun and someone ws trying to attack me, I'd have no problem shooting them. I would'nt shoot to kill, just to incapacitate, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I did kill them.
    Actually, odds are it would haunt you for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Most cases of homocide (and suicide) are related to high stress situations where the perpatrator feels they are losing control of their life- the act is often triggered as a way of regaining control and most often done by "normal" people.

Did you know............Psychopaths, the people usually assumed to be "born killers", despite the commonly held belief dont often commit murder. In general people suffering from psychopathy lack the two basic triggers for murder- first of all they cant put together complex premeditated acts which involve building contingencies and they tend to lack emotional reactions- ranging from both empathy to rage. They do however understand the consequences of murder so while it wouldnt bother them to do it they generally avoid it.

Advertisement