Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Anyone has the Ability to kill, all it takes is some sort of method.

Most don't have the will to kill. Given the right moment of irrational thought, we would all kill someone. No matter who you are.

Some Don't care if they kill or not.

Few have the Desire to kill.

If it came down to it, I could do it, for whatever reason, if I thought the person deserved to die, I could definitely do it. But, that doesn't mean I will go out of my way to find someone who deserves it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A study found that people are naturally abhorred by the thought of killing one another for the most part. This led to the adoption of humanoid targets by military organisations for training purposes. With other target types, soldiers were prone to hesitation and dying as a result. The discipline to kill without hesitation displayed by a modern military force is a product of centuries of research on the subject. Soldiers who have seen active combat will be able to describe how they feel and how the training helps.

I've killed animals, but never without considering it and I understand what it is to take life in an abstract sense, and I don't regret doing so, but I do appreciate what life is and what it means. I have military aspirations myself, so the discipline to kill is something I'll learn more about later in my life.

My own feeling is that most people are capable of killing other people in the right circumstances, and without the immediate pressure of having to do so to survive, but ultimately it's random chance whether they actually commit the deed unless they have the training to do so instinctively. I also think a lot of people aren't capable of dealing with the psychological aftermath of taking human life. I mean, I've yet to shoot an animal and not feel just a tiny bit sad at the loss of the life, but I still do it again because there are good reasons to do it. I expect I'd regret taking a human life as well, but with training and psychological discipline, I expect I could rationalise it and deal with it in my own way, the key being the training and help.

It's all too easy to assume you're capable of killing, but I've known people who were so averse to it that they said they wouldn't kill someone even in self-defence, and I think that's probably a lot more honest and true to the case than those who claim they'd have no problem with it.

Killers aren't born; they're made by years of intense training which comes from centuries of military research into how to do it. Those who can kill are down to random chance, and the ability to deal with having killed is a product of personality and disposition and the same training and research as creates good soldiers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

How do you like your steak? Rare, medium, or well done?

Mooing, bloody and pissed off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

blue..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't knock something till you've tried it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

A study found that people are naturally abhorred by the thought of killing one another for the most part.

This is total and utter Bullsh1t. We are CULTURALLY abhorred to the thought of killing another person. In the West that is. We are not Naturally against it. If we were all naturally against it then we would not have had so many wars in the past.

It's all to do with todays Culture not it's nature. Physiologically we are basically Identical to our Ancestors. Yet they killed eachother more, because it was a different culture.

Look at Africa, or Afghanistan. In some culture's there it is "Natural" to kill one another. But that is not actually in their Nature is it? They aren't born wanting to kill each other, they are Raised wanting to kill eachother.

It just so happens we are not.

Simple fact is, that it is in EVERYONE to kill someone, we CAN all do it. Most won't, But every able bodied man, woman and child has the ability to end the life of another human being. With the simple pull of a trigger, Slash of a Knife.

Sure some people are against it mentally, but they could still do it. In one moment of Irrational thought, Ghandi could have killed someone. There is no way to refute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

'You're walking down a street and there's an accident. A car has hit a child in the crosswalk. A crowd of people gather round. You walk up, the child's lying on the ground and there's blood running all over the place. You get a little blood on your shoes and you look down and say, "Oh ****." You look over at the child, kind of interested, but you're not repelled or horrified. You're just interested. Then you look at the mother, and you're really fascinated by the mother, who's emoting, crying out, doing all these different things. After a few minutes you turn away and go back to your house. You go into the bathroom and practice mimicking the facial expressions of the mother.' " He then pauses and says, "That's the psychopath: somebody who doesn't understand what's going on emotionally, but understands that something important has happened."

This is total and utter Bullsh1t. We are CULTURALLY abhorred to the thought of killing another person. In the West that is. We are not Naturally against it. If we were all naturally against it then we would not have had so many wars in the past.

Apologies. It's late and I'm tired. I meant to convey that this is cultural conditioning rather than biological hardwiring.

Apologies. It's late and I'm tired. I meant to convey that this is cultural conditioning rather than biological hardwiring.

Cool, I get you, so we are in agreement.:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

if someone crashes their car and kills someone they could be called killers i suppose . Even though they didnt mean to do it.
    If anyone ever done or tries to do anything to any of me family I wouldnt hesitate to kill someone. I dont mean like give a family member a slap or anything. I mean something really wrong like forgot to sky+ emmerdale or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's all to do with todays Culture not it's nature. Physiologically we are basically Identical to our Ancestors. Yet they killed eachother more, because it was a different culture.

Look at Africa, or Afghanistan. In some culture's there it is "Natural" to kill one another. But that is not actually in their Nature is it? They aren't born wanting to kill each other, they are Raised wanting to kill eachother.

It just so happens we are not.

Simple fact is, that it is in EVERYONE to kill someone, we CAN all do it. Most won't, But every able bodied man, woman and child has the ability to end the life of another human being. With the simple pull of a trigger, Slash of a Knife.

Sure some people are against it mentally, but they could still do it. In one moment of Irrational thought, Ghandi could have killed someone. There is no way to refute that.

You can't just say somebody would do it in a moment or irrational thought, it is true what you say about it simply being a cultural influence but once somebody has grown up and has lead a long life with strong convictions conditioning their mind, I think it's quite possible that they would never kill somebody. They could have if raised differently for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

PK2008 wrote: »
    Most cases of homocide (and suicide) are related to high stress situations where the perpatrator feels they are losing control of their life- the act is often triggered as a way of regaining control and most often done by "normal" people.

Did you know............Psychopaths, the people usually assumed to be "born killers", despite the commonly held belief dont often commit murder..

They rarely, contrary to popular opinion, commit criminal acts either.

I said Irrational thought. That gives the leeway to say anyone. Because it is an Irrational discision anyone even with the strongest convictions could make it. That's what it's called Irrational.
    I said Irrational thought. That gives the leeway to say anyone. Because it is an Irrational discision anyone even with the strongest convictions could make it. That's what it's called Irrational.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Irrational thought != irrational action. You also just can't say everybody has it in them to get a thought strong enough to kill somebody, or that the thought to kill somebody is irrational.

Irrational thought != irrational action. You also just can't say everybody has it in them to get a thought strong enough to kill somebody, or that the thought to kill somebody is irrational.

While I do believe everyone can get thoughts which lead them to kill someone.

I don't believe the thought to kill everyone is irrational. I would see it as a perfectly rational decision to kill someone who raped someone close to me. Or was trying to kill me. etc.

But even the most pacifistic has the means to kill someone, and we all get the oppertunity. The only other piece is Motivation. And if the motivation is strong enough then anyone could kill someone.

I am not saying anyone can Murder. Or that anyone can intentionally kill someone. But anyone can kill someone, even if in self defence it is still killing someone.

We disagree, I think there are poeple who would not kill, people have different minds and their upbringing is a huge factor as well as their personality. I think Gandhi, to use your example, would not kill somebody even in self defense, and would let himself die. Sure people can have thoughts about killing somebody but I don't think a lot of people would actually do it in this society.

We disagree, I think there are poeple who would not kill, people have different minds and their upbringing is a huge factor as well as their personality. I think Gandhi, to use your example, would not kill somebody even in self defense, and would let himself die. Sure people can have thoughts about killing somebody but I don't think a lot of people would actually do it in this society.

And I think in situations where the emotions are strong enough, irrational thought's can turn into irrational actions in anyone.

We agree to disagree, I accept your view's but I feel they are wrong.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Im defo not a killer, I think? but would'nt the prospect of a lifechanging amount of money, no pun intended, sway your thoughts... :rolleyes:

Nappy wrote: »
    Im defo not a killer, I think? but would'nt the prospect of a lifechanging amount of money, no pun intended, sway your thoughts... :rolleyes:

It really depends. Is it just a regular Joe Soap trying to get by.

Or Someone deserving of death?

Regular Joe Soap - Never
    Someone Deserving of Death - Maybe, I don't know but unlikely if they haven't affected me or those close to me.
    Brian Cowen - Keep the money, just give me the gun.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Once heard that 15% of murders are commited out of passion - could be toatal bull but I think its plausable.

The original question got me thinking of that John Grisham film - kid gets raped perpatrators get away with Dad gets gun and sees justice is done.. Time to kill ( I think)

Anyhoo in short Yes. No plans as of yet though .

It really depends. Is it just a regular Joe Soap trying to get by.

Regular Joe Soap - Never
    But what if you had an irrational thought? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think Gandhi, to use your example, would not kill somebody even in self defense, and would let himself die.

Ghandi actually seems to have had little issue with killing when he thought it might have been required. He actively tried to recruit Indians for the military during WWI and wanted the British to lift their ban on Indians posessing personal weapons. He just was very much against violence if he thought it was at all possible to achieve his goals through non-violent means.
    I used to issue leaflets asking people to enlist as recruits. One of the arguments I had used was distasteful to the Commissioner: 'Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle classes render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn.

The Act in question was the Indian Arms Act of 1878, put in partially as a result of the Indian insurrection of 1857. It was an legislation which exempted Europeans and ensured that no Indian could possess a weapon of any description unless the British masters considered him a "loyal" subject of the British Empire.

NTM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I thought the idea of the military was to turn ordinary people into killers

No, it's to turn ordinary people into effective killers.

Anyone can pick up a gun and shoot it. The best shots, the best hunters all tend to be civilians. In the US, law-abiding people with barely enough training to aim their pistol are using firearms to defend themselves, frequently killing their antagonists.

The difficult bit comes when you need to get a bunch of people to work together, the total effectiveness being greater than the sum of its parts. How to co-ordinate themselves with each other in the chaos of the battlefield, to shoot, move and communicate. That's the difficult bit that the military really enhances, of which the 'shoot' is actually the easiest bit to teach, particularly in the US when most everyone has shot a gun before joining the Army anyway.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its not to difficult to kill. I tend not to dwel on the act and just enjoy the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anybody can kill if pushed far enough. Take for example that someone breaks into your home and harms a member of your family, even threathening to kill them. Personally in such a situation, I would murder that individual without a second thought. Thats a line crossed that I wouldn't allow a few punches or words to sort out.

Advertisement