Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in limbo with work problem need advice please

Options
  • 20-03-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Ill try to be as direct as possible but need some advice. I had a lower Back operation and had to take 6 months off work, unpaid of course. I recovered very well and decided to return to work.Got the all clear from my doctor and the company doc also but and here is the snag....

My employers brought in a replacement and as a result of my medicals and what the doctors have outlined in thier report , this job is no longer suitable for me and they are trying to find alternative job for me within the company.

Now the social welfare are on my back to sign off disability because the doc gave me the all clear but my employers wont take me back because i cant do my old job as im a liability.

This is draging on for weeks and could continue.Storming in to HR is not an option and wont work with these guys.
    Please i need some advice.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You need to find out from your employers if you have a job or not - if you do, they take you back, pay you, and you sign off disability.

If you don't, they make you redundant, you get your P45 and redundancy (if applicable).

My sister was in a similar situation just there, not because she was ill, but her boss was stringing her along saying, 'oh you'll have to finish on Friday week, but if we sell such and such the previous week you might get another few days' etc.

Let them know you need proper information about your job and future in the company.

Also, nice username :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

another option might be to ask your employer about signing you off on 'temporary release' or whatever they call it. Get a letter to confirm this.

Then you can go to social welfare sign off disability but sign on dole. Then your employer has a set number of weeks (not sure how many but you can ask about that) to take you back into employment. If at the end of those set weeks your employer has no suitable position for you then they have to make your redundant.

Not sure if its a workable solution for you but its worth enquiring about. If it was a goer at least then there would be a time limit on how long your employer can wait to sort things out, so at least you would know where you stand. And in the mean time it would get the SW off your back about the disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr Hfuhruhurr

Thanks for the replys guys. ill be meeting with HR next week so should have a clear idea where i stand. cheers

Advertisement