Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm wiring configuration

Options
  • 20-03-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I want to run the cables for a new alarm in my house. What is the best way to run the cables. Should I run a cable from each sensor back to the control panel or can I loop the cable from sensor to sensor and just run one cable for each zone back to the panel.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of either method?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

A cable for each sensor back to the panel is the best. It allows the installer much greater flexibility to configure the zones as needed during installation of the panel. Also, if a cable gets damaged during construction then only one sensor is affected, not an entire zone.

If it's a new house, then this is easy, if the alarm is going into an existing property then it may make sense to reduce the number of cable runs by looping sensors. Horses for courses.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are running cables in loops a good idead is to star from the panel & return to the panel. That way if a cable gets damaged between 2 windows you can run the other side back out from the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickmccabe

It's an older house so I think looping is the option to go for but I like Koolkids idea of starting and ending the loop at the board and as he said it one gets damaged I can just reroute the two ends.

Koolkid, any recommendations on control panels? And where to get them at a good price.

M.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you want to keep wiring to a minimum then The Astec Fusion with Astec 2 wire sensors

Advertisement