Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of the facilities in DIT and what would you change?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Just a random question to see what people thought about the facilities accross all sights and what would you change??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Which building you taking about ,

and if you mean the question in general , then the wifi in Kevin Street can be a little more widespread:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Kevin street is crap - WiFi, toilets, classrooms, no heating in the middle of winter, lifts, the entire look of the building, the list just goes on... Having to attend classes there seriously depresses me... I don't think much can be done (other than turning on the damn heat when it's freezing!) other than leveling the whole damn place and starting from scratch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

J-blk wrote: »
    Kevin street is crap - WiFi, toilets, classrooms, no heating in the middle of winter, lifts, the entire look of the building, the list just goes on... Having to attend classes there seriously depresses me... I don't think much can be done (other than turning on the damn heat when it's freezing!) other than leveling the whole damn place and starting from scratch...
    What he said lol

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

I think it is a terrible college. It has no life. Rag week, what rag week? Having been in both ucd and dit, i can safely say ucd was 100 times better.

Dit will only become a good college when it moves it grangegorman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

good quality bike parking at mountjoy another bike stolen last week, the staff carpark has bike parking but i got laughed at when i asked if i could put my bike there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear about the theft. I'll contact the Buildings Manager in Mountjoy Square and see if there's any way we can get secure bicycle parking there.

Campus Life are working with DITSU and Dublin City Council to see if we can get more bicycle parking on streets around the DIT locations. But we need to find out if there's a need for more secure bicycle park areas - like the one in the car park for DIT Bolton St.

What are the other sites like for bicycle parking? I know two staff members in Campus Life have had bikes stolen around Aungier St.

Regards,
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

WiFi in Kevin St is just woeful. For the centre which contains the School of Computing and the School of Electronics & Communications Engineering, it's pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'll agree the computer infrastructure in kevin street is dire.

network ports not working, screens not working.

the sun lab is also quite crap, there's been a huge push to use it but i just can't considering there are only 4 machines that have a usb port.

the hard drive images are quite dire as well, with loads of programs that are totally unnecessary, for example the games lab has eclipse installed, lol why?

administrative rights should be given to final year and post grad students, and an attitude change has to change from some staff especially after four years i'm not going to ****ing knick a pc for christ sake.

rights should be blocked for final year labs for anyone not in a final year or post grad course, and lecturers shouldn't be able to just kick you out of a lab if there's no class scheduled there especially if it's a final year lab. they should schedule it and get it put on the time table.

i know what i mentioned above isn't totally infrastructure that the OP meant but it's more network infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

rights should be blocked for final year labs for anyone not in a final year or post grad course, and lecturers shouldn't be able to just kick you out of a lab if there's no class scheduled there especially if it's a final year lab. they should schedule it and get it put on the time table.

which labs are the final year labs ? , but yea i agree with the lecturers should not be able to kick you out of a lab if there is no class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

i'll agree the computer infrastructure in kevin street is dire.

network ports not working, screens not working.

the sun lab is also quite crap, there's been a huge push to use it but i just can't considering there are only 4 machines that have a usb port.

the hard drive images are quite dire as well, with loads of programs that are totally unnecessary, for example the games lab has eclipse installed, lol why?

administrative rights should be given to final year and post grad students, and an attitude change has to change from some staff especially after four years i'm not going to ****ing knick a pc for christ sake.

i know what i mentioned above isn't totally infrastructure that the OP meant but it's more network infrastructure.

Some WoW playing cockmunches in 3rd year had admin on a few machines and just changed all the passwords and removed them from the network.
    I mean, I agree with you but **** like this puts progress back a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Would you not tackle them on that? If you know who they are, confront them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

which labs are the final year labs ?

A117 and A305

orla wrote: »
    A305

Nice try.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

which labs are the final year labs ? , but yea i agree with the lecturers should not be able to kick you out of a lab if there is no class.

A117 and A305. but 305 was ruined i think, the layout of it blows, tables too high and chairs too low, maybe i just find the smallest things to complain about.

A305 was billed to be a lab that had powerful machines for games streams but was meant to be a final year lab unless there were games module labs taking place. that did not happen.
    Some WoW playing cockmunches in 3rd year had admin on a few machines and just changed all the passwords and removed them from the network.
    I mean, I agree with you but **** like this puts progress back a fair bit.

it's easy for anyone - with access to google - to give themselves admin access on any machine in DIT, it only takes two commands ;)
    sunnyjim wrote: »
    Would you not tackle them on that? If you know who they are, confront them about it.

i have politely brought it up with the lecturer in question and some other senior lecturers and student union people. Senior lecturers agreed with me, student union just nodded and done nothing, and the lecturer sat quietly and just put a smug look on her face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I find it hilarious that it is STILL possible for anybody to gain access to the student vlans
    by simply jacking their laptop into the network outlets.

As regards facilities, the place is a kip tbh.
    Grangegorman of course will stand as an excuse to NOT improve facilities.

I guess everything has to be done by half measures:pac:

A117 and A305. but 305 was ruined i think, the layout of it blows, tables too high and chairs too low, maybe i just find the smallest things to complain about.

A305 was billed to be a lab that had powerful machines for games streams but was meant to be a final year lab unless there were games module labs taking place. that did not happen.

And as a result DIT is winning academic competitions in the field left right and centre. The lab is empty 90% of the time and if you can't handle being in the same room as someone in a year below you because of some sort of sense of entitlement then go home. If someone is being disruptive in a lab, just ask them to stop, the majority of people won't continue when asked to stop.

it's easy for anyone - with access to google - to give themselves admin access on any machine in DIT, it only takes two commands ;)

timed commands from prompt was fixed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I love the usb ports on the computers in Aungier street.

You know the ones you have you have to flip your usb upside down and grope around like Stevie wonder for the port before forcing the usb stick stick in.

Honestly whoever designed those machines should be hung drawn and quartered. I mean what were they thinking and who OK'd such a design?
    Atrocious.

As for the college itself I agree its pretty poor. Its just too spread out at the moment and there is very little atmosphere or sense of community and very few organised events. Its also a nightmare to get info about anything because a) there is very little space for promotion and b) clubs and societies in DIT seem to be oblivous that there is this thing called the internet....in fact that is a major gripe of mine why do none of the socs/clubs have decent websites?

A prime example of this poor communication was the receipt of an email about rag week a week after rag week had ended (not that you would know there was a rag week).

Sorry that turned into a rant but Im actually really disappointed with the college and thing there is plenty of room for improvement....luckily I think when Grangegorman is done it will be a massive improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jinxy

Are DIT and Tallaght IT not the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

i like that lab with the dual monitors, it makes me feel all important.

Advertisement