Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon G5

• 20-03-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Not sure I am on the right forum, but I think you guys might be able to help me.

I have a Canon G5 I got new about 5 years ago. I had been using it until it let it fall off a table and since, the zoom thingy gets stuck ... and I can control it at all ...

Do you guys know if it's something that can be fixed?

75333.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That camera is c. 2003 cause I bought a Powershot S50 at the same time and the G5 was the equivalent model back then of the 'bridge' variety.

First of all you're in the wrong forum, secondly the people in the photography forum are more into how to take good photos and not at all into repairs. Whether your problem can be repaired or not can only be answered by a repair man who takes a look at your camera but my guess is that given the age of the camera it will not be economic to repair it and you'd be as well off taking the leap to dSLR or buy a Canon G10 which is the modern day successor to the G5.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_G10/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

AH yes... as I said 'not the right forum but you might know a bit about it'. I thought you guys might know a bit. In the cycling forum, we talk about great spins but also repairs. So i thought this might be the same on here. Ah well - cheers anyway for making me feel welcome :pac: G10 is a great camera, but as they say, the camera itself doesn't take good photos, the photographer does ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

coylemj wrote: »
    That camera is c. 2003 cause I bought a Powershot S50 at the same time and the G5 was the equivalent model back then of the 'bridge' variety.

First of all you're in the wrong forum, secondly the people in the photography forum are more into how to take good photos and not at all into repairs.

This reply, to a very simple request, is to say the least ignorant and I apologise as the respondent was not talking on my behalf

OP, it's not the wrong forum whatsoever as is clear from the forum charter.

As for the Op's query it is unlikley to be worthwhile repairing as it would possibly cost more than it's worht or the cost of a replacement.

soccerc wrote: »
    This reply, to a very simple request, is to say the least ignorant and I apologise as the respondent was not talking on my behalf

OP, it's not the wrong forum whatsoever as is clear from the forum charter.

As for the Op's query it is unlikley to be worthwhile repairing as it would possibly cost more than it's worth or the cost of a replacement.

The original post was to the Digital Darkroom forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm sure coylemj does not speak for the rest of the users on the photography forum who are more than willing to help out. Caroline, like soccerc said, it's probably going to cost you more to repair it and probably better off looking into a new camera. There's a huge variety out now which will cater for your everyday needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The original post was to the Digital Darkroom forum.

Sometimes people post in their by mistake,You could of atleast been friendly and linked them to the photography forum and explained where to post...

kensutz wrote: »
    I'm sure coylemj does not speak for the rest of the users on the photography forum who are more than willing to help out. Caroline, like soccerc said, it's probably going to cost you more to repair it and probably better off looking into a new camera. There's a huge variety out now which will cater for your everyday needs.

Get down off your high horse, you're not adding anything to what I told the OP which was as follows....

my guess is that given the age of the camera it will not be economic to repair it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get down off your high horse, you're not adding anything to what I told the OP which was as follows....

my guess is that given the age of the camera it will not be economic to repair it

You may have said that, but it was swamped by the lack of grace and hostile tone of the rest.

Ok, I accept that the tone may not have been diplomatic and if I caused anyone offence, in particular the OP I apologise, can we leave it at that please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Too late!!
    You're doomed to be known as the most hated guy on Photography forum!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You never know your luck, you could give them a try:
    If you want to find a service facility that is authorised to repair your product, all you need to do is select the “Country” and “Product type” from the drop down lists below and click “Search”.
    Country
    Group

Should you have any questions concerning Service, please click here.

Canon Ireland Ltd
    AnalogueVideo, Personal Copiers, Lens, Digital Video, Laser Fax, Inkjet Fax, Flash, Analogue Compact Camera, Digital Compact Camera, Analogue SLR Camera, Digital SLR Camera, Laser Printer, InkJet MFP, Laser MFP

Arena Road
    Sandyford Industrial Estate
    Dublin 18

Tel: +353 (0)1205 2407
    Fax: +353 (0)1295 8141

Email: dublin.camera@canon.ie
    Web: http://www.canon.ie

Ushhh now lads it's ok :) no need to argue

thx for the tips. I am disgusted to have throw it out. I got a cheap'ish 7.5 ( i think ) fuji last year for a couple of hundred quid but I am not too happy with it. My G5 brand new was 700 quid, if i was to spend the same amount now, I'd have a excellent camera :) but my priorities have changed, I need something good and small to fit in the back pocket of my cycling jersey and take shots like these ( that was the alpes last october taken with my 2.0 camera phone, hence the sh*t results)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Is there a picture of you in this cycling jersey so we can gauge what Camera size we can recommend. :D

Behave AR :pac: Caroline if you're doing the TOI this year you might be able to hit me over the head and rob a camera or 2. :p

kensutz wrote: »
    Behave AR :pac: Caroline if you're doing the TOI this year you might be able to hit me over the head and rob a camera or 2. :p
    if u're a journo, i will see you there in the press room.

This time I'll say hello :pac:

Advertisement