Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most irrititaing trivial thing about Vista

• 20-03-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

Say I'm reading a web page and click on a link to open another. Vista forces me look at the slooooowly loading new page, rather than continuing to view the initial page. Same with office documents.
    I can't find any setting to require new windows to load under open windows. Does one exist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Its a setting in the browser I think.
    Which are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

IE. But I have the "switch to new tabs when they're created" option turned off, and it's not just internet, it's documents like Word and Excel too.

(PS I like your sig)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use OpenOffice, Thunderbird and Firefox.

Or an older decent version of Office, like Office97 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Say I'm reading a web page and click on a link to open another. Vista forces me look at the slooooowly loading new page, rather than continuing to view the initial page. Same with office documents.
    I can't find any setting to require new windows to load under open windows. Does one exist?

Course its Vista's fault as always

Sounds like You've not got enough ram to run Vista, How much ram have You got? What version of Vista? And what processor (my guess its a Celeron)?

Also, If You want new links to open in the background in your browser ctrl+click them, same for all browsers unless u change the settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

watty wrote: »
    Use OpenOffice, Thunderbird and Firefox...
    Happens with Firefox also!

• Advertisement

It's interesting that people don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Maybe it is something to do with my crappy laptop after all. I also use OpenOffice and of course I ctrl-click. I've a gig of ram and a turion dual core processor.
    watty wrote: »
    Use OpenOffice, Thunderbird and Firefox.

Or an older decent version of Office, like Office97 :)
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Course its Vista's fault as always

Sounds like You've not got enough ram to run Vista, How much ram have You got? What version of Vista? And what processor (my guess its a Celeron)?

Also, If You want new links to open in the background in your browser ctrl+click them, same for all browsers unless u change the settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I've a gig of ram and a turion dual core processor.
    That's no good for Vista. You should upgrade to 2Gb (2x 1Gb modules), it's very affordable these days.

I doubt that's whats slowing your browser down, but it's a worthwhile upgrade.

In relation to that, why don't you just open links in a new tab, and don't switch to the new tab until it has loaded? Right-click a link in Firefox and it will give you the option to load it in a new tab; also un-tick the option to open the new tab immediately.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly maybe. It's not internet, it's all windows.
    I have done "un-tick the option to open the new tab immediately. ", but the tab, or the IE window, or the word , excel, ppt document still pops up to show a blank screen while it's loading. I don't want them to show on top until they've loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I understand your question but Im not aware of a setting to open new applications in the background in Vista.
    You really need more RAM. The reason why vista doesn't open word, excel documents etc in the background is because it expects you to want to use them immediately. When you have enough RAM to run the system properly documents load very quickly.
    2GB will make a world of difference. Try http://www.crucial.com/eu/
    Around 30eur will buy 2GB for most laptops these days.

Advertisement