Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD player in Lidl

Options
  • 20-03-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

I bought a dvd player in Lidl. It had a usb port for flaying AVI(eg dvix, xvid) files. It worked grand except for on thing it wouldnt play AVIs that contained Subtitles. At the start i thought it was only one or two that wouldnt work but none work. It plays the avi without subtitles it doesnt matter if its an srt, sub or idx it wont play

Wheb i took it back to the shop they said i have to send to england to get fixed. I dont think the dvd player is broken as such i think maybe it just doesnt have that feature to be able to read subtitles. What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nothing..
    Do you still have the box or manual? Does it say it supports SRT, IDX or IDX subtitles?
    Was it advertised as being able to play subtitles not imbedded into the video file?
    Google the model number and see if you can find a data sheet for the model to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

ongarite wrote: »
    Nothing..
    Do you still have the box or manual? Does it say it supports SRT, IDX or IDX subtitles?
    Was it advertised as being able to play subtitles not imbedded into the video file?
    Google the model number and see if you can find a data sheet for the model to confirm.

It doesnt SAY it can read susbtitles but i didnt think it was the sort of think to check for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Well then the product is not faulty as its doing exactly as it says on the spec sheet in the manual or on the packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

it's possible to hardcode the subs into the movie, a quick google will tell you how

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

calex71 wrote: »
    it's possible to hardcode the subs into the movie, a quick google will tell you how

Yes but wont it take a long time?? doesnt the avi file have to be re-encoded? would this effect quality?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Bob Z wrote: »
    Yes but wont it take a long time?? doesnt the avi file have to be re-encoded? would this effect quality?

quality could be an issue if you dont be carefull with settings, in terms of time a decent spec pc should chew threw it quick enough and you dont need to reencode the audio so thats just a direct stream copy and should speed things up.

guide here http://www.divxland.org/permanentsubtitling.php
    theres many other ways to do it.

really depends on the number of movies that you want to do i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Bob Z wrote: »
    I bought a dvd player in Lidl. It had a usb port for flaying AVI(eg dvix, xvid) files. It worked grand except for on thing it wouldnt play AVIs that contained Subtitles. At the start i thought it was only one or two that wouldnt work but none work. It plays the avi without subtitles it doesnt matter if its an srt, sub or idx it wont play

Wheb i took it back to the shop they said i have to send to england to get fixed. I dont think the dvd player is broken as such i think maybe it just doesnt have that feature to be able to read subtitles. What should i do?

Have to agree with Ongarite on this, if you were looking for it to play AVIs that contained subtitles than you should have checked this before you bought it. Quite frankly the workers in Lidl wouldnt have a bogs notion whether it would or not. Super markets are for food, start buying electronics to save a couple of euros in these type of places and you will be stung. You pay for what you get, unless you got it in a mega sale

Advertisement