Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which part of town?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm planning on moving up to town in the summer once I finish college & to be honest I'm not all that familiar with areas in Dublin. I'm looking to rent in a 'nice' part of town, as close as possible to the city center. I know I'll probably get slated for this but I suppose you could say I'm looking to know where the, dare I say it, middle class area's are, I'm just being honest here. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If you are from the country, I could recommend the Rathmines area, it's full of you lot. There's probably someone you already know living there already.

I'm not too familiar with the rest of the Southside though.

North of the Liffey you'd be looking at places like Killester, Raheny, anywhere on the Dart line really, possibly Drumcondra.

Artane is a nice area too, Beaumont, anywhere over that direction.

Glasnevin is a nice enough area, and fairly close to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Des wrote: »
    If you are from the country, I could recommend the Rathmines area, it's full of you lot. There's probably someone you already know living there already.

Also suggest the baggot street area, good price/location compromise.

Which Uni? What point do you want to be closest to?

+1 for Rathmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Ranelagh is only a bit more expensive than Rathmines but is a far better area to live in IMO. Every female I know who lived there in her early twenties absolutely loved it and ended up staying for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I suppose the most up and coming part of town now,and it is in the city center, would be the area around sir john rogersons quay. I suppose you could call it middle class,judging by the amount of solicitors/bankers/accountants I pick up from it. A couple of nice restaurants, a bar,spar and 10 minutes walk from college green.You do realise of course that once you move from working to middle it adds another €500 a month to the rent;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

enda1 wrote: »
    Which Uni? What point do you want to be closest to?
    I'm actually finishing in DCU next month so I've dont need to be near anywhere a such, just reasonably close to town i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

If you are from the country, I could recommend the Rathmines area, it's full of you lot.
    :D:D:D

Dcleire : I lived in the Kenilworth Sq area (officially Rathgar) but less then a 10 minutes walk to Rathmines. Great bus service on Rathgar Rd to town and it's easy to walk to town on a fine morning. Loved it there, but then I am a culshie :D
    Ranalagh was just down the road with all it's nice places to eat etc
    Nice bakery in Rathgar Village too:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll find it will depend quite a lot on your budget and whether you are willing to share a house, would rather have your own apartment, need to get a bus into the city centre etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hmm missed the almost finished college bit.

Really any chance of giving us a bit of help with recommendations?

Budget
    Type lifestyle
    Car or not
    Public transport needs
    etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

spurious wrote: »
    You'll find it will depend quite a lot on your budget and whether you are willing to share a house, would rather have your own apartment, need to get a bus into the city centre etc..

Ideally I'd like to get my own apartment with a few mates but I'll probably end up sharing to be honest. Don't mind getting the bus but preferably i wont have to be on it for very long, not a big fan of public transport :D
    enda1 wrote: »
    Hmm missed the almost finished college bit.

Really any chance of giving us a bit of help with recommendations?

Budget
    Type lifestyle
    Car or not
    Public transport needs
    etc. etc.

Eh...I'm 21 play quite a bit of footie (the foreign one :D) probably looking to spend €500 per month €600 max, sharing obviously. I go to quite a few gigs usually whelans :rolleyes: I have a car but was half thinking of selling it if i move up & joining the ranks of the cyclists, i think that's everything :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I would defintly recommend rathmines, ranelagh, rathgar, harold's cross or number one portobello area. Its super safe and fun and usless your super lazy you don't need the bus!

I wouldn't recommend any of the nice nortside areas because although lovely if one wants to walk home after a night out it isn't really an option as you have to walk through areas that might not be the safest.

also rathmines and ranelagh have pubs and stuff for a good laugh close to home. your quite close to bushy park and lots of supermarkets!

just watch out for the damp! which seems to be everywhere in south dublin!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Rathmines is a sweet location in fairness;
    Close to all amenities like footpaths & traffic lights etc

Minimal tramps, hobos & scummers.
    Rent can be cheap too. Shop around and definitely haggle with landlords, there's no better time to.
    I'm paying under €400 for a massive single that was advertised for a lot more.
    Did I see you in Rathmines last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Francis street, Patrick's street, Upper Coombe area. Close to town (10 minute walk to Whelan's) and not too many dodgy folk about. Although someone did get shot here a few weeks ago but that was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Yep... I gave i nod but i didn't think you saw me. :pac:

Heh, sorry about that man.

I was well past you when I realised who you were :o

disssco wrote: »
    Francis street, Patrick's street, Upper Coombe area. Close to town (10 minute walk to Whelan's) and not too many dodgy folk about. Although someone did get shot here a few weeks ago but that was a once off.

Tbh I wouldn't recommend these, well except Patrick St, going by the OP's attitude they'd be the prefered prey for the local scummers around the Coombe and on Francis St which can be a dodgy place at night, especially up around Molloys Offo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Most be a diffrent Coombe area to the one I no.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

+1 on this

i lived there are a year, i absolutely loved it and if i could have afforded to buy there i would.

there was a lot of tears and snots the day i moved out :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

dceire wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm planning on moving up to town in the summer once I finish college & to be honest I'm not all that familiar with areas in Dublin. I'm looking to rent in a 'nice' part of town, as close as possible to the city center. I know I'll probably get slated for this but I suppose you could say I'm looking to know where the, dare I say it, middle class area's are, I'm just being honest here. :o

ringsend, sandymount, southlotts, any of D4 is nice, maybe rathmines/rathgar...

depends on your mode of transport really.

Advertisement