Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Aston Villa 16:00 Sunday Match Thread

Comments

The more we win the luckier we get :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres is as useful as bucket with a hole :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »
    Torres is as useful as bucket with a hole :(

Must be a huge bucket with a tiny hole up the top :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don't think I've seen Torres play as poorly for us as he did today. Picked the right day not to perform, hopefully it's business as usual after the international break

Fulham A - hopefully they'll come at us, should suit us.
    Blackburn H - expect to win
    Arsenal H - at home we generally do well against Arsenal
    Hull A - seem to be running out of steam
    Newcastle H - if we can't beat them at home . . .
    West Ham A - tough, tough game
    West Brom A - hopefully relegated by then
    Tottenham H - hopefully they'll have nothing to play for

The real tricky games for me are Fulham, Arsenal and West Ham. If we win those 8, i honestly think we'll win the league. United could win 7 and draw 2 (which in itself would be a great run) and we could win it on goal difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

On paper Liverpool have the easier run-in imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mgoraf wrote: »
    On paper Liverpool have the easier run-in imo.

not when the CL league comes in

it'll be interesting to see what team he'll pick for the blackburn game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

blackburn game sandwiched in between the european quater finals will be interesting at least its at home, utd are away to sunderland

Headshot wrote: »

At that stage of the season there will be at most 10 games left... He would be able to go full tilt if he wanted. I think that he might too..

At that stage of the season there will be at most 10 games left... He would be able to go full tilt if he wanted. I think that he might too..

I was saying in the utd thread that Rafa cares more for the CL than the EPL,so we'll see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I was saying in the utd thread that Rafa cares more for the CL than the EPL,so we'll see what happens

we won't know that for a couple of weeks. We've never been challenging for both at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement

How can someone who's posts are generally pretty decent manage to get conned into believing such nonsense?

Do you genuinely believe that he rates the CL are being more important than the PL, as in decides at the start of the season that he would prefer to win the CL over the PL and that that PL points will be scarificed in order to ensure success in the CL?

Please say you don't..

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Whoever he picks should be good enough to beat Blackburn at home, especially given the form we're in and the fact that we are taking chances.

How can someone who's posts are generally pretty decent manage to get conned into believing such nonsense?

Do you genuinely believe that he rates the CL are being more important than the PL, as in decides at the start of the season that he would prefer to win the CL over the PL and that that PL points will be scarificed in order to ensure success in the CL?

Please say you don't..

thank you jesus_thats_gre

maybe in the past he has focused on the CL more because he knows how to win in the CL, he has that winning formula

in the past he would rest players for the CL,maybe he knew that man utd or chelsea were too far ahead idk

but you cant deny he's past decision making was a bit wierd in previous season in resting players etc

edit: btw your a pretty decent poster too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just seen the result......LOL. GG liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hmm warm fussy feeling.

Ireland win the Grand Slam, LFC back in the title race... Dunne winning... I have to say I have nothing to complain about tonight.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Super result today.

Really put down a marker for Utd that we mean business.

Super result today.

Really put down a marker for Utd that we mean business.

sure have

its a long time since utd and liverpool squared off for the title

my word its going to be utds sweetest title yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

1 point off the top...Quarters of the European cup...Rafa new contract..playing the best football in the league..still all you Rafa haters where right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Highsider wrote: »
    1 point off the top...Quarters of the European cup...Rafa new contract..playing the best football in the league..still all you Rafa haters where right :rolleyes:

Some of them haven't been around in a few weeks, funnily enough

sure have

my word its going to be utds sweetest title yet ;)

Oh i love it. Utd fans getting the digs in already :pac: Woohoooooo

Bring it!!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Oh i love it. Utd fans getting the digs in already :pac: Woohoooooo

Bring it!!

:D

long time since youve said that ehh

This is a public forum, people are entitled to their opinions Liverpool football club has the best fans, and some people get hurt and take it personal when they dont perform its called being passionate.. we are all paying fans and are fully entitled to come on here and rant all we want. So long as they follow the rules, whats the problem.

They're not alone, fans around the world have been upset with the way the season had been going, what type of FAN would you be to accept the games LFC have drawn this season, absolutely disgraceful performances at times, but we should all stand by and be happy according to some here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I will personally be absolutely shocked if either team manages to win all of their remaining games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

This is a public forum, people are entitled to their opinions Liverpool football club has the best fans, and some people get hurt and take it personal when they dont perform its called being passionate.. we are all paying fans and are fully entitled to come on here and rant all we want. So long as they follow the rules, whats the problem.

They're not alone, fans around the world have been upset with the way the season had been going, what type of FAN would you be to accept the games LFC have drawn this season, absolutely disgraceful performances at times, but we should all stand by and be happy according to some here.

sorry, what?

just when i thought negativity had died :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I don't know whether to laugh at you or feel embarrassed for you, unless of course you're trolling.

Hhhmmmm...

I was replying to Monkey9. Not being negative at all. I'll send a PM next time..LOL

I was replying to Monkey9. Not being negative at all. I'll send a PM next time..LOL

I'm talking about the 'fans' who only turn up here when points are dropped. I wasn't talking about yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

As a matter of interest, when, if ever was the last time? Early 80s maybe, but can't ever remember it going down to the wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    I disagree, I think the way Villa could win this game would be 80 minutes of Liverpool pressure with one of those days written all over it, chance after chance missed. Then Young hits them on the break.

That said, I've really no idea how this game will pan out. But it'll tell us an awful lot about Liverpool in how they respond.

i think they responded quite well ;)

As a matter of interest, when, if ever was the last time? Early 80s maybe, but can't ever remember it going down to the wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Premier_League_2001–02

Fairly close in this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How can someone who's posts are generally pretty decent

Please say you don't..
    thank you jesus_thats_gre

edit: btw your a pretty decent poster too

catduck.jpg

awwwwwwww

I hope im the cat btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Pepe Reina now has more assists than Carrick :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just the small inconvenience of neither winning the league.:)

Tusky wrote: »

Most long ball teams backline will rack up some assists.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tusky wrote: »
    Alonso and Mascherano too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably 01/02.

Arsenal won though, so, Chelsea will win it this year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Probably 01/02.

Arsenal won though, so, Chelsea will win it this year.
    did it not go to the last game last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

did it not go to the last game last year

Not between Liverpool and Utd it didnt.

Stekelly wrote: »

the closes in the Premier League was 1996-1997

liverpool were 7 points behind utd but liverpool ended in 3rd because of GD

but the closes was in 1946–47 in English football, liverpool won the league by 1 pt

travesty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow, really enjoyed that :) another great win, and another fine performance. i said a couple of weeks ago after the madrid game that i couldn't remember when i enjoyed watching liverpool play so much. enjoying their play is getting to be a regular occurance now. fabulous.

the afternoon started in a sombre manner with the perfectly observed minute's silence of Bryce Morrison. i don't remember the last time one wasn't observed properly but i still get a bit edgy that it won't.

still, with it observed, the match got underway at a wonderfully fast pace. alonso began pinging passes into the 'hole' straight away, riera was already giving reo-coker a headache, all while being given the freedom of the anfield pitch by a Villa side who, for whatever reason, left midfield wide open. maybe it was because they wanted to come and really 'play football', which was commendable, but liverpool would come to exploit it expertly.

ball over the top from reina, and reo-coker looks to have it under control. riera gets a torres-like run on him ;), gets in front and wins a free. gerrard steps up and whips it in viciously, alonso with the flick onto the bar, and kuyt with the follow up off the laces. strong finish and 1-0.

then for the next 10/15 mins villa up their game admirably. petrov, who iv never been a huge fan of, starts pulling some strings. carew is bossing the game in pool's half. skrtel and carra can't get near him. reina shows his worth with a couple of classy saves. it's all a bit uncomfortable in front of the Kop. villa smack another one into the box, which pepe calmly takes. who said he's dodgy on crosses? he pumps one of his now trademark kicks upfield quickly as villa's central defence tries to get back from up front after villa's last play. it drops over albert's shoulder. gareth barry, who was chasing, seems to either give up or assume he'll miss i don't know :confused: however it's another sweet one off the laces. 2-0 and anfield's bubbling.

it's still even enough in open play, but liverpool arguably look a little more dangerous. gerrard's clever positions and touches are a joy to watch. kuyt or carra (can't remember who!) plays a long diagonal onto riera's foot which suckers reo-coker into a moronic challenge seen as they're in the box. gerrard tucks away the penalty and it's all of a sudden comfortable.

the second half comes and within a few minutes it's 4. kuyt goes on a mazy run (yes, you heard me right), and wins a free off cuellar 20 yards out. gerrard places it beautifully inside the far post. 4-0. villa don't really deserve this scoreline. liverpool now overtake utd's goal difference, could that be important in the final shake-up? alonso is next to slide a pass through to nando, who takes a horrible first touch, but the next touch takes it past friedel who can't get out the way of him and it's a penalty. the red was harsh, not only because he couldn't get out of the way, but it was about to be 5-0. torres looks almost apologetic in the foreground of the camera as he knows he should've scored anyway; and if he had the decision wouldn't have needed to be made. a bit of common sense could have prevailed on the part of the ref. maybe i'm being biased; brad will miss the utd game after all. :pac: gerrard completes his treble, and then the rest of the game couldn't be anything but a procession.

a lovely cameo on about 80mins. reina takes the ball and is about to go for his traditional route 1 counter-attack. carra yells at him to calm down. priceless. it's like in a 7-a-side when you're keeper won't stop hoofing it when you're knackered from running back and forth. i enjoyed it anyway...

nothing else worth noting, and it ends. it's a harsh scoreline but we'll take it. sorry villa. the post-match interview with rafa has him in stern humour. he's not happy, we could have had more goals he says. he's probably right, but still, greedy f***er. he talks of keeping our feet on the ground. good to hear i say.

pepe...8 - whatever he had to do, he did confidently.
    aurelio...7 - nothing special, but between he and albert young got nowhere
    carra...7 - solid
    skrtel...7 - again solid
    arbeloa...6 - fine, but i'm taking a point off for that godawful cock-up when he tried to pass to nando. muppet.
    masch...7 - what he had to do he did well
    xabi...8 - given the freedom of midfield and picked stevie out at will. outshone barry too :pac:
    riera...9 - best game in quite a while. reo-coker will have nightmares.
    kuyt...7 - his touch always annoys me but you know what you're going to get. good hit for the goal.
    gerrard...9 - wonderful again, found so much space and used it well. plus a hat-trick. top english league scorer in the league this season now.
    torres...6 - he didn't need to be great, thank goodness, because he looked a bit off

so, liverpool take advantage of utd's slip up for once. i had to say it sorry ;) there's a feel-good factor around the club at the moment. long may it continue. let's make no mistake though; 8 more wins is what's needed if we're to stand a chance. fergie's been in this game too long to allow his team continue to play like they are. please may i be wrong. but i'm confident they'll slip up again anyway, and we need to continue on the mother of all winning run-ins. we can hope and dream, but let's not quite get carried away yet.

the international break comes at the wrong time really, but ho-hum. maybe utd will stew a bit. may nothing happen to stevie, nando and any of our key players for that matter. that's all we ask.

i've not looked forward to a run-in like this for a long long time. it's been too long. thank you rafa. thank you team. keep it up. let's keep them utd ones on their toes because you just never know...

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, really enjoyed that :) another great win, and another fine performance. i said a couple of weeks ago after the madrid game that i couldn't remember when i enjoyed watching liverpool play so much. enjoying their play is getting to be a regular occurance now. fabulous.

the afternoon started in a sombre manner with the perfectly observed minute's silence of Bryce Morrison. i don't remember the last time one wasn't observed properly but i still get a bit edgy that it won't.

still, with it observed, the match got underway at a wonderfully fast pace. alonso began pinging passes into the 'hole' straight away, riera was already giving reo-coker a headache, all while being given the freedom of the anfield pitch by a Villa side who, for whatever reason, left midfield wide open. maybe it was because they wanted to come and really 'play football', which was commendable, but liverpool would come to exploit it expertly.

ball over the top from reina, and reo-coker looks to have it under control. riera gets a torres-like run on him ;), gets in front and wins a free. gerrard steps up and whips it in viciously, alonso with the flick onto the bar, and kuyt with the follow up off the laces. strong finish and 1-0.

then for the next 10/15 mins villa up their game admirably. petrov, who iv never been a huge fan of, starts pulling some strings. carew is bossing the game in pool's half. skrtel and carra can't get near him. reina shows his worth with a couple of classy saves. it's all a bit uncomfortable in front of the Kop. villa smack another one into the box, which pepe calmly takes. who said he's dodgy on crosses? he pumps one of his now trademark kicks upfield quickly as villa's central defence tries to get back from up front after villa's last play. it drops over albert's shoulder. gareth barry, who was chasing, seems to either give up or assume he'll miss i don't know :confused: however it's another sweet one off the laces. 2-0 and anfield's bubbling.

it's still even enough in open play, but liverpool arguably look a little more dangerous. gerrard's clever positions and touches are a joy to watch. kuyt or carra (can't remember who!) plays a long diagonal onto riera's foot which suckers reo-coker into a moronic challenge seen as they're in the box. gerrard tucks away the penalty and it's all of a sudden comfortable.

the second half comes and within a few minutes it's 4. kuyt goes on a mazy run (yes, you heard me right), and wins a free off cuellar 20 yards out. gerrard places it beautifully inside the far post. 4-0. villa don't really deserve this scoreline. liverpool now overtake utd's goal difference, could that be important in the final shake-up? alonso is next to slide a pass through to nando, who takes a horrible first touch, but the next touch takes it past friedel who can't get out the way of him and it's a penalty. the red was harsh, not only because he couldn't get out of the way, but it was about to be 5-0. torres looks almost apologetic in the foreground of the camera as he knows he should've scored anyway; and if he had the decision wouldn't have needed to be made. a bit of common sense could have prevailed on the part of the ref. maybe i'm being biased; brad will miss the utd game after all. :pac: gerrard completes his treble, and then the rest of the game couldn't be anything but a procession.

a lovely cameo on about 80mins. reina takes the ball and is about to go for his traditional route 1 counter-attack. carra yells at him to calm down. priceless. it's like in a 7-a-side when you're keeper won't stop hoofing it when you're knackered from running back and forth. i enjoyed it anyway...

nothing else worth noting, and it ends. it's a harsh scoreline but we'll take it. sorry villa. the post-match interview with rafa has him in stern humour. he's not happy, we could have had more goals he says. he's probably right, but still, greedy f***er. he talks of keeping our feet on the ground. good to hear i say.

pepe...8 - whatever he had to do, he did confidently.
    aurelio...7 - nothing special, but between he and albert young got nowhere
    carra...7 - solid
    skrtel...7 - again solid
    arbeloa...6 - fine, but i'm taking a point off for that godawful cock-up when he tried to pass to nando. muppet.
    masch...7 - what he had to do he did well
    xabi...8 - given the freedom of midfield and picked stevie out at will. outshone barry too :pac:
    riera...9 - best game in quite a while. reo-coker will have nightmares.
    kuyt...7 - his touch always annoys me but you know what you're going to get. good hit for the goal.
    gerrard...9 - wonderful again, found so much space and used it well. plus a hat-trick. top english league scorer in the league this season now.
    torres...6 - he didn't need to be great, thank goodness, because he looked a bit off

so, liverpool take advantage of utd's slip up for once. i had to say it sorry ;) there's a feel-good factor around the club at the moment. long may it continue. let's make no mistake though; 8 more wins is what's needed if we're to stand a chance. fergie's been in this game too long to allow his team continue to play like they are. please may i be wrong. but i'm confident they'll slip up again anyway, and we need to continue on the mother of all winning run-ins. we can hope and dream, but let's not quite get carried away yet.

the international break comes at the wrong time really, but ho-hum. maybe utd will stew a bit. may nothing happen to stevie, nando and any of our key players for that matter. that's all we ask.

i've not looked forward to a run-in like this for a long long time. it's been too long. thank you rafa. thank you team. keep it up. let's keep them utd ones on their toes because you just never know...

Hi Redspider :p

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hi Redspider :p

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stekelly wrote: »
    the closes in the Premier League was 1996-1997

liverpool were 7 points behind utd but liverpool ended in 3rd because of GD

but the closes was in 1946–47 in English football, liverpool won the league by 1 pt

travesty :D

Think Arsenal had games in hand. We may have actually been top but Arsenal had 3 games in hand.

I'm sure Boggles will inform us with his wisdom on this thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

???

search some of his posts & you'll get it.

???

Guy who used to post here noted for very long and extremely well written match reports after each game. It's a compliment.

wow, i'm mildly embarrassed.

well written posts alright.

i'll never forgive him for what he said about Reina after the Arsenal CL game at Anfield last year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

the game was on telly slick

Mr Alan wrote: »
    well written posts alright.

i'll never forgive him for what he said about Reina after the Arsenal CL game at Anfield last year though.

bridge.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement